VOGONS

First post, by vico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apparently everything is well configured but I can't hear the MIDI sound (MPU-401), the sounds configured with "Sound Blaster" are heard perfectly, I must also say that this happens both in Windows 98, Windows 98 MS-DOS mode and MS -DOS 6.22.
I don't know if this is due to some incompatibility with my Compaq motherboard or if it's a physical damage to my sound card, I hope you can guide me.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If i'm not mistaken the mpu-401 is the actual midi in/out interface that exists on those cards and will never output any sound, except when a suitable midi device is connected using one of those joystick2midi adapters.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And the output from the external MIDI device should be connected to the sound card's line-in port. It has nothing to do with motherboard incompatibility nor any physical damage.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 4, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-07-31, 16:29:

And the output from the external MIDI device should be connected to the sound card's line-in port. It has nothing to do with motherboard incompatibility nor any physical damage.

... and the sound card should be connected to speakers or an amplifier to which speakers are connected 😀

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 4, by vico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The thing is that before changing my board, which was a Soyo SY-6BA+ III (which unfortunately got ruined) I could hear the MPU-401 midi sound emulated in games like Wiering Software's Charlie and Charile II and now with this Compaq motherboard I can't .

Attachments

• Charlie.jpg
    Filename
    Charlie.jpg
    File size
    915.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain