VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pitchshifter wrote on 2024-03-20, 13:32:

AZT3310, rebranded Samsung KS0164.

AZT3320 is the rebranded KS0164 (using AZT3321 sample ROM chip), both are 100pin chip rather than the huge 160pin one that is AZT3310 (alongside AZT3311 sample ROM). Both AZT3320 and KS0164 are found on identical PCBs.
AZT3310 is interesting though, the cards I see have two 8KB RAM chips next to the big chip. This possibly means it has reverb or even chorus effects since this is what one needs, what I presume to be, effects memory for. At least one chip could also be data memory for an internal CPU that does MIDI to music processing... I don't have such a card to take any closer looks however.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 21 of 23, by pitchshifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Exacty like this one.

Tiido wrote on 2024-03-21, 00:15:
pitchshifter wrote on 2024-03-20, 13:32:

AZT3310, rebranded Samsung KS0164.

AZT3320 is the rebranded KS0164 (using AZT3321 sample ROM chip), both are 100pin chip rather than the huge 160pin one that is AZT3310 (alongside AZT3311 sample ROM). Both AZT3320 and KS0164 are found on identical PCBs.
AZT3310 is interesting though, the cards I see have two 8KB RAM chips next to the big chip. This possibly means it has reverb or even chorus effects since this is what one needs, what I presume to be, effects memory for. At least one chip could also be data memory for an internal CPU that does MIDI to music processing... I don't have such a card to take any closer looks however.

Attachments

Reply 22 of 23, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The one with KS0164 / AZT3320 is like this : https://hwmuseum.pp.ua/soundcard/1706.html

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 23 of 23, by fgh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
orcish75 wrote on 2024-03-17, 21:10:
Ah! Awesome!!! That must be the fastest bridgeboard for the Amiga by far! You're on the same road I was about 15 years ago, the […]
Show full quote

Ah! Awesome!!! That must be the fastest bridgeboard for the Amiga by far! You're on the same road I was about 15 years ago, the limited ISA slots for the bridgeboard. My A2000 has the A2286, ATi Mach 32 VGA card, the Aztech Pro 16 IIB and a 3Com 3c509B NIC in it's 4 ISA slots. Booting off a hardfile was pitifully slow, so had to make a plan. First I had a Future Domain ISA SCSI card, that worked well, but then I had no soundcard. I searched everywhere for an ISA soundcard that had an IDE port that could be set to primary. They're like hen's teeth, but eventually found a Turtle Beach Tropez Plus that has that option. Used it for a while with an old 100MB HDD, but soon discovered that the Tropez Plus was waaaaay too good a card to be wasted on the A2286, it's "My Precious!" It's now installed in my primary retro rig, a Pentium 233. It was around that time I discovered XT-IDE, V2.x hadn't come out at that time, it was still V1.1.5. The docs mentioned it could boot off any IDE controller, primary or secondary so I burned a 27C64 EPROM with the 16bit version of XT-IDE, setup the 3C905B to read the boot PROM and plugged the HDD in the IDE port of my SB16 which was hard wired to secondary. Lo and behold, it booted off the secondary IDE.

After much stuffing around, I eventually ended up with the Aztech Pro16 IIB and a 4GB CF card attached to it's IDE port, booting DOS 6.22. It's quite fun having the Amiga version and PC version of the same game running on the A2000 simultaneously. 😀
[...]
Just check the Opti 924/929/930 card before you buy it. Depending on how it was designed, the IDE port might not be separate from the Opti chip. Both my 929 cards need the Opti init program to run before the IDE port is enabled, so at boot time the XT-IDE won't find the IDE port.

Haha yes, it's an exotic setup, and fast enough to be fun. It was discovered a while ago that it's possible to run bios extensions like XT-IDE from the host side, so I've been doing that to save an ISA slot.
I've been spoiled by having a GUS ACE, SB and MT32 on my P1, and though I'd try to have the same awesome setup on the bridgeboard.
Plus I'm trying out different sound cards to figure out what works. Many bridgeboard users only have one available ISA slot after adding a VGA card, so booting from a sound card can be quite useful.

dionb wrote on 2024-03-17, 21:43:
fgh wrote on 2024-03-17, 19:29:

[...]
According to Dos Days, Aztech 3rd gen cards have SB Pro compatibility but no Adlib / SB / SB 2.0 compatibility?
Having used mainly Creative cards for adlib/SB/SB Pro games, I was under the impression that if a card supported SB Pro, it would also support the older ones, but I guess not. Being able to have sound in Adlib / SB games would be nice, hmm..

That sounds rather... confused.

These cards support AdLib, that's what the OPL3 is for and they have one, or one of the "LS-212" 1:1 clones. They also support the original Sound Blaster. The only things they don't support fully are SBPro 1.0 (with dual OPL2 - also not supported by SBPro2.0 or SB16) and SB16 (instead they support WSS for 16b sound).

That's what I always thought. I was just confused by this table: https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/images/aztech_summary.png

I've bought a few different cards (ESS, Opti, SB2290 so far) and will try them out when they arrive. Plus keep looking for a suitable Aztech card.
Thanks again for your help, everyone!