VOGONS

First post, by Linoleum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone here been able to install a proper driver for those modern PCI ATI Rage XL under Windows 95? By proper, I mean: all resolutions available at desktop, has working D3D, working OpenGL and no VXD driver error message... And I am not even talking about CIF!!

I have a P233 MMX with Windows 95B installed, and I am having a very hard time getting a driver to work without too much error. ANY official ATI drivers are giving me problems; display works at desktop, but launching a game (even DOS) freezes Windows and gives me a black screen.

The only tip that got me further came from this thread: Chinese Rage XL PCI mods, improved compatibility and looking for a good overclock.

marxveix wrote on 2022-05-24, 06:48:

RLTMGDbeta7.zip (this WinMe beta driver) also works for 4752, I installed this driver with PREINSTALL.BAT.
https://docviewer.yandex.ru/view/0/?*=T%2F48C … TY1MTMzNzk4OSJ9

RageLTMan's Beta 7 driver was working with D3D and OpenGL games, but crashing when returning to desktop. So I used RageLTMan's later driver, the UDV2 version. This version still has a problem where I get a Windows blue screen error message saying something like "Invalid VxD link call from ATU_VXAE(01)..." whenever I launch a game. When I press Y, the launches and works fine! That is just a small annoyance compared to the fact that every time I shutdown windows and the display driver was loaded, I get stuck at "Please Wait While your Computer Shuts Down". That is very annoying.

Could this error mean it's only a Win98 driver? Should I be looking somewhere else for a working driver?

SIDE QUEST : has anyone been able to find the very last drivers from RageLTMan: FDv3.zip?? I spent an hour looking in FTPs and Wayback Machine and could not find them...

#1: Sempron 3000+, 1Gb, HD3650 AGP, SB Audigy 2 ZS
#2: P4 1.8Ghz, 512Mb, Voodoo3 3000, SB Live!
#3: P3 866Mhz, 384Mb, Riva TNT2 AGP, SB Live!
#4: P233 MMX, 64Mb, ATI Rage II+, SB 32
#5: P100, 32Mb , S3 Virge, Sb16 & PicoGus v2.0