Topic actions

Reply 700 of 1104, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-12-23, 00:56:

NHL POWERPLAY 98 supports power-vr.

Sorry, but this game is Direct3D (it is a PowerVR Ready title though, meaning it has good compatibility)

From the README.txt:

NHL POWERPLAY (TM) 98 is designed to utilize the features of a 3D accelerator
through the Microsoft Direct3D interface.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 703 of 1104, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like compatibility error with your graphics card. Some cards are faster/slower with PowerVR and less troublesome than others. Matrox and Rendition works flawlessly from my experience.

Reply 704 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Onboard RageIIc with additional problems when using D3D with PowerVR (Sound-stottering and lockups).
Native PowerVR and MiniGL is fine though. Only D3D is problematic. (beside that weird MDK PowerVR color problem)

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 706 of 1104, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

D3D on the PowerVR cards have never been perfect. You can try playing around with the settings and also get the latest drivers (4.1.2) which have more profiles for popular games.

Reply 708 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://gona.mactar.hu/ATI3DCIF/
3: Might not work with DirectX 3.0 ?

What does he mean with that? It that the problem with D3D ? I don't think so than D3D is just fine with the rageIIc and this driver (8244).
It's really hard to figure out, what causes this problem. I did around 20-30 hours testing already 🙁

Reply 709 of 1104, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have problems running D3D on the ATI Rage IIc, then that should not be in this thread.

I thought you were talking about running D3D games on the PowerVR Direct3D HAL. As far as I know, driver used on the output card should not affect how PowerVR handles D3D/PowerSGL games. Enable/disable Direct3D as well as tweak settings with this interface (some of the settings will not apply since you have PCX1):

panel.jpg

Reply 710 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, you misunderstood me, I am thinking in all directions. I don't have Problems on D3D with RageIIc.
The only Problem is D3D with PowerVR. Is there a recommendation for DirectX on the PowerVR drivers?

There will be no other way then checking a PCX2 instead. (btw. the Voodoo1 is fine in that setup)

Reply 712 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there any sourceport that can accelerate Doom1/2 Hexen1/Heretic that works on PowerVR cards?
I have tested an old version of doomsday, but that did not work in D3D mode, using the -allowsoftware switch leads to loading the microsoft opengl and that thing is SLOOOWWW. Doomlegacy claims to support "MiniGL" but none of the pvr-ogl-renders seem to work with it.

In order to play with these great old games on my win95b setup, i decided to use a very old version of zdoom. this thing has only softwaremode, but it works better then doom95 because it supports heretic too. (hexen not). I am currently searching for something accelerated, so D3D or MiniGL for PowerVR.

Doc

Reply 713 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

btw. JediKnight does not suffer from these sound-hangups anymore. I found a switch in the Bios that solves this (activate framebuffer). strangely enough Hellender still has those issues, MDK D3D too and MDK PVR still has the wrongs colors. Still checking... (100+ hours)

Reply 714 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have tested the PowerVR SDK-Demos and all run fine except one, this very old one "VLLOGO" shows the exact same color-issue like the MDK-PVR. I am stuck here.

Attachments

• Filename
    vllogo.zip
    File size
    906.82 KiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 715 of 1104, by GordonFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2021-01-05, 22:23:

I have tested the PowerVR SDK-Demos and all run fine except one, this very old one "VLLOGO" shows the exact same color-issue like the MDK-PVR. I am stuck here.

I've had this issue a couple of times with both MDK and the PVR demos, and just rebooting the system usually seemed to fix it. Switching to different drivers might make a difference too.

Related to that, I had an issue with Tomb Raider that would cause any PowerSGL game to crash and give an error upon loading after running Tomb Raider (PVR version). The solution I found for that is just to reboot the system after playing Tomb Raider if I want to play another PowerSGL game. Kind of annoying, but not the end of the world.

Reply 716 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just fixed MDK. I simply had the wrong version. The Multilanguage-Version ISO (I had the UK/German) works just fine. colors are correct.
I just found out that the latest reference-drivers are not the best for my pcx1. The latest Version (4.1.2x) gives me 15-18fps in forsaken, where the latest apocalypse3d drivers (11/1997) gives me 35-37fps! But I have to admit that the moving projectiles and effects have black borders around them , so it does not look so nice. With the latest drivers it looks a bit better, but the framerate is too slow.

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2021-01-09, 09:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 718 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2012-12-05, 00:07:

I tested the 4.0.0 drivers for the PCX1. Damn the performance drop is significant compared to the 4.1.2 in Direct3D in all games! The drivers certainly improved over time. With the 4.0.0 I could finally get Motoracer (demo) running without problems, but the framerate suffered. A patch was released for Motoracer retail, but I only got the Mystique enhanced version of the game and it doesn't work with that version.

Hellbender and MTM trial still didn't work properly with the 4.0.0 drivers. What is curious though is that I can't find any information on Google Groups about people really complaining about these two games in late 96/early 97. They were prime test candidates for D3D games. Only thing I find is that they run slow, which makes me think that PowerVR never bothered to fix these games, but just turned off acceleration on the PCX1 in the application settings.

Die Hard Triology still don't want to run in D3D mode. I have no clue what is going on there, as the readme states support for the PCX1.

that's interesting...I am thinking it's about the other way round. older drivers are better for my PCX1.
I am currently using the Apocalypse3d driver from this CD http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=995&menustate=0

Reply 719 of 1104, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have POD 2_0 original. If I install it, I can play ATI3DCIF (PODATIX). There is no PowerVR executable on that CD.
The PowerVR 2.1 update does not install the PowerVR Executable, it stays at PODATIX... what am I doing wrong here?