Best WinXP Video Card

Discussion about old graphics cards, monitors and video related things.

Re: Best WinXP Video Card

Postby duga3 » 2018-10-17 @ 18:54

I have not had the time to try too many games but yes, its mostly pre-directx9 issue I would think. From the top of my head:

Mafia - flickering shadows under cars, ehm, automobiles
GTA Vice City - crashes
NFS Hot Pursuit 2 - crashes

Its not the cards fault I think its usually more about drivers and I have used the latest ones from nVidia website and there are some older ones as well that I could still try.

If you have a favorite game or something, I am happy to try it if I have it, just let me know.
User avatar
duga3
Newbie
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 2018-1-23 @ 08:49

Re: Best WinXP Video Card

Postby Crank9000 » 2018-10-17 @ 19:39

duga3 wrote:I have not had the time to try too many games but yes, its mostly pre-directx9 issue I would think. From the top of my head:

Mafia - flickering shadows under cars, ehm, automobiles
GTA Vice City - crashes
NFS Hot Pursuit 2 - crashes

Its not the cards fault I think its usually more about drivers and I have used the latest ones from nVidia website and there are some older ones as well that I could still try.

If you have a favorite game or something, I am happy to try it if I have it, just let me know.


Thanks! But no need, my XP build is going to have 7600 GT for nearly all of my 98-XP games and a GTS 250 for those couple games that could use a bit more juice. More powerful Windows 7 build takes care of the rest like Stalker Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat with directx 10+ support. But I did get really close of getting a GT 710 originally thinking it's powerful enough, it has drivers for XP and you can get those for new so why not? Luckily I realized what a mistake that would have been, many of my games are pre dx9.

I just misunderstood when you mentioned that many other games had problems, thought you meant dx9 games specifically.
User avatar
Crank9000
Newbie
 
Posts: 57
Joined: 2018-9-23 @ 08:15

Re: Best WinXP Video Card

Postby duga3 » 2018-10-17 @ 20:20

Crank9000 wrote:
duga3 wrote:I have not had the time to try too many games but yes, its mostly pre-directx9 issue I would think. From the top of my head:

Mafia - flickering shadows under cars, ehm, automobiles
GTA Vice City - crashes
NFS Hot Pursuit 2 - crashes

Its not the cards fault I think its usually more about drivers and I have used the latest ones from nVidia website and there are some older ones as well that I could still try.

If you have a favorite game or something, I am happy to try it if I have it, just let me know.


Thanks! But no need, my XP build is going to have 7600 GT for nearly all of my 98-XP games and a GTS 250 for those couple games that could use a bit more juice. More powerful Windows 7 build takes care of the rest like Stalker Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat with directx 10+ support. But I did get really close of getting a GT 710 originally thinking it's powerful enough, it has drivers for XP and you can get those for new so why not? Luckily I realized what a mistake that would have been, many of my games are pre dx9.

I just misunderstood when you mentioned that many other games had problems, thought you meant dx9 games specifically.


Good thinking, only maybe after GF6 there is a lack 16-bit dithering so games like System Shock 2 (1999) will not work out of the box at all (you need community patch with 32-bit rendering) and I dont think 250 would be fast enough (in my eyes) to run the early XP titles in at least FullHD, with crazy amounts of AA and max speed. Even on my gtx960 the GTA 3 drops to around 30-40FPS when it rains for example (1920x1440@60Hz, 4x4SSAA+8xSGTRSSAA). But then again gtx960 is not compatible with some older pre-dx9 games. Just something to keep in mind, one cant have it all I guess.
User avatar
duga3
Newbie
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 2018-1-23 @ 08:49

Re: Best WinXP Video Card

Postby Crank9000 » 2018-10-18 @ 04:30

duga3 wrote:Good thinking, only maybe after GF6 there is a lack 16-bit dithering so games like System Shock 2 (1999) will not work out of the box at all (you need community patch with 32-bit rendering) and I dont think 250 would be fast enough (in my eyes) to run the early XP titles in at least FullHD, with crazy amounts of AA and max speed. Even on my gtx960 the GTA 3 drops to around 30-40FPS when it rains for example (1920x1440@60Hz, 4x4SSAA+8xSGTRSSAA). But then again gtx960 is not compatible with some older pre-dx9 games. Just something to keep in mind, one cant have it all I guess.


GF7 should still have 16-bit dithering, at least so have I read other people say who know way more about that stuff than I. I did also pick up a 6600 GT for backup just in case the 7600 GT has trouble with some games or just craps out and dies. GTS 250 is more than fast enough for me, only using max 1280x1024 resolution and only 2-3 of my games could use the extra speed, all the rest can be run at max with the 6600 GT (at least if AA is kept at 2-4 at maximum). Widescreen full hd games go to that W7 build.

I also like to keep my PC's as silent as possible, both of those 7600 GT and 6600 GT are passively cooled and GTS 250's have silent coolers, at least some of them have if not all. Can't stand loud GPU fans, that rules out many faster cards. Had a 4870 back in the day, loved the card but the fan of that Sapphire Toxic (or was it Vapor-X, can't remember) drove me nuts less than a week, replaced it with a third party cooler and all was good.

Edit: Except I just realized just how long nvidia 2xx series cards are physically, no chance of fitting one in the case I was planning to use. Welp, I guess I'll use a 9800 GTX+ instead. Or a 450. Might as well go for a 460? This is a never ending road isn't it, soon I'll have a RTX 2080 Ti in there with modded drivers :dead:
User avatar
Crank9000
Newbie
 
Posts: 57
Joined: 2018-9-23 @ 08:15

Re: Best WinXP Video Card

Postby matcarfer » 2018-11-20 @ 14:24

I love this thread. The only card that I have that is XP compatible is a Radeon R7 260X 2GB, which I think its fine for 99% of XP games. Will try some and post results when I can.
User avatar
matcarfer
Newbie
 
Posts: 30
Joined: 2017-4-06 @ 17:05

Re: Best WinXP Video Card

Postby Xeen » 2018-11-21 @ 14:56

It's really a great thread.

May I ask what's the ATI card equivalent to Nvidia GTX 960 and which one is better for XP gaming (no specific titles want to play)?
Xeen
Newbie
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 2018-6-13 @ 04:45

Re: Best WinXP Video Card

Postby KT7AGuy » 2018-11-22 @ 01:48

Tom's GPU Hierarchy Chart is a great resource for finding comparable alternatives.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gp ... ,4388.html

While not really 100% accurate, there's not much else like it out there.
User avatar
KT7AGuy
Oldbie
 
Posts: 953
Joined: 2012-11-30 @ 19:21
Location: Chicago

Re: Best WinXP Video Card

Postby Xeen » 2018-11-22 @ 02:52

Thanks for the info. It seems that HD 7950 is the one. :happy:
Xeen
Newbie
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 2018-6-13 @ 04:45

Re: Best WinXP Video Card

Postby infiniteclouds » 2018-11-30 @ 05:01

Is CSAA (Antialiasing) of any concern with regards to XP? Were there games that used this for their ingame AA options or was it only used through nVidia control panel?
infiniteclouds
Member
 
Posts: 484
Joined: 2013-6-08 @ 19:43

Re: Best WinXP Video Card

Postby kainiakaria » 2018-12-04 @ 14:02

GeForce 7800 GTX
kainiakaria
Newbie
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 2016-5-05 @ 20:06

Re: Best WinXP Video Card

Postby kithylin » 2018-12-16 @ 11:56

duga3 wrote:I have not had the time to try too many games but yes, its mostly pre-directx9 issue I would think. From the top of my head:

Mafia - flickering shadows under cars, ehm, automobiles
GTA Vice City - crashes
NFS Hot Pursuit 2 - crashes

Its not the cards fault I think its usually more about drivers and I have used the latest ones from nVidia website and there are some older ones as well that I could still try.

If you have a favorite game or something, I am happy to try it if I have it, just let me know.

I haven't tried mafia but I can attest that GTA vice city and hot pursuit 2 both work 100% and run for hours with zero issues and zero crashes under XP with a GTX 780 with the latest supported nvidia drivers for XP. The Kepler family of cards are still the fastest, best supported and most compatible cards for XP gaming.
User avatar
kithylin
l33t
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: 2011-4-19 @ 01:32
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Best WinXP Video Card

Postby God Of Gaming » 2018-12-18 @ 03:19

These 2 could be a bit too old to be considered winXP games, but I had some major issues in Serious Sam and NFS Hot Pursuit 2 when I had AMD HD7950, and when I talked with people I confirmed I was not alone, the oldest card I could confirm had those issues was HD 5670, so probably safe to assume any DX11+ AMD card is not that great of a choice for retro gaming. I used to have a HD 4850 and those 2 games worked fine on it btw.

For a while now my main PC has been running MSI GTX780 Lightning on Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 mobo with 3770K and Auzen X-Fi HTHD (I smell some incomming rivalry with kithylin having very similar system from what I've read) Triple booting XP, 7 and 10. The 780 solved the issues in those 2 games but Im not 100% convinced there wont be issues in any other XP games.

These days I've been piling up some old AGP cards and motherboards and PCI sound cards and I intend to do some comprehensive testing to find the ultimate 98SE configuration, after that I might do the same for XP, comparing a known compatible card such as nvidia 7900 against the gtx780 to see if I can spot anything amiss. Ideally though, I'd like to eventually upgrade my system to X79 with 8-core xeon and maxwell titan x just to know I have the cream of the crop XP system, that is, if I don't first find issues with XP games on the 780 :)
User avatar
God Of Gaming
Member
 
Posts: 158
Joined: 2015-4-02 @ 17:17
Location: Bulgaria

Re: Best WinXP Video Card

Postby The Serpent Rider » 2018-12-18 @ 12:48

Won't Titan X (M) crash WinXP x86 when VRAM usage goes over 4GB ?

Should be noted, that proper 32-bit OS can use more than 4Gb (benefits of 36-bit addressing).
User avatar
The Serpent Rider
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: 2017-3-25 @ 19:07
Location: Stagnant Demesne

Re: Best WinXP Video Card

Postby villeneuve » 2018-12-18 @ 15:17

@God Of Gaming: hm, just when I have a HD7970 incoming for a system multi-booting XP, Vista, 7 & Linux.
Strictly speaking Serious Sam isn't a Windows XP game. On the initial boxes the closest to XP operating system mentioned is NT, newer but still original releases and the manual I have state Windows 2000 as the newest compatible operating system. Re-releases of the game of course mention Windows XP also. Did you run the newest patch version of Serious Sam, which apparently came out when Windows XP was just on the market, during your testing?
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 is a DirectX 8.1 game, so it would be interesting if DX9 games run fine on newer Radeons and only DX8.x games are problematic.
What were the issues with the two games then?
villeneuve
Newbie
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 2014-1-09 @ 11:31
Location: Germany

Re: Best WinXP Video Card

Postby God Of Gaming » 2018-12-18 @ 16:32

For Serious Sam I have the Gold Edition rerelease which is both TFE and TSE updated to latest patches and with a few bonus maps. Issues were, in OpenGL, weird triangular holes visible in geometry in distance, and in TSE distant trees had a blue overlay, in Direct3D these issues were gone but instead a very unpleasant stutter and occasional mouse input weirdness going on. on the gtx780 it works fine in both D3D and OGL with none of these issues. For NFS Hot Pursuit 2, there was something very wrong with the rendering, all cars were gray, and the road textures looked pretty off in places too. I think fog was missing as well.

Image

These are surely not the only 2 games with issues but I hadnt tested too many old games on that card while I had it. It did pretty well for modern games tho. Sold it for a profit when the mining craze started, don't regret it.
User avatar
God Of Gaming
Member
 
Posts: 158
Joined: 2015-4-02 @ 17:17
Location: Bulgaria

Previous

Return to Video

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests