VOGONS

First post, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just bought a 21" IBM P275 (model 6652-T3N) for my Win 98SE retro PC (voodoo3 2000 AGP graphics card) and tried turning it on just now, and for some reason it only allows me to select 640x480 resolution. Im pretty sure this monitor should be capable of resolutions up to 1600x1200 or more, and I want to use it at 1024x768. I think it might need a .inf driver, but can't find any. Additionally, it seems like it has the common Trinitron issue of overbrightness and green tint, I know this can be fixed with some software called windas or something, but Ive never done that before, can I get some help?

P.S. found a driver, it said its for WinXP but seems to be working on W98SE. So I guess that leaves the overbrightness issue.

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 1 of 3, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This might sound stupid but you DID install your graphics card driver's right?

As for the brightness I would think there would be a hardware brightness control built into the monitor itself.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 2 of 3, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I had installed driver for the voodoo3, I was using it with an LCD until now and it let me select any resolution I wished, its when I switched to this CRT that it was only letting me select 640x480. But now that I installed an .inf driver for the monitor its letting me select all the resolutions I need - 640x480 and 800x600 at 160Hz, 1024x768 at 120Hz and 1600x1200 at 100Hz, it goes all the way up to 1920x1440 but I dont need those high resolutions for retro gaming. The driver was for WinXP but it seems to work under 98SE just fine. So that leaves the overbrightness issue. I tried correcting it from the monitor menu, but I wasn't able to get it to look as it should.

I found this video of some guy fixing the problem on an almost identical monitor, though he did not explain well enough what he did exactly. It seems he used USB-to-TTL adapter and connected a cable behind the monitor (can't find such connector on mine btw) and did something in some software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34AP-6I_ti8

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project