VOGONS

The story of the QuForce FX 5800 Ultra...

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 124, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2021-01-12, 19:11:

I strongly recommend you underclock the memory of the FX3000 to at least 200Mhz below spec. The DDR in the FX3000 is notorious for not lasting long at stock clocks. This does not apply to Quadro 1000 and 2000 which used vastly improved DDR2.

I would advise doing this via a BIOS mod rather than through software because the card will run at stock clock until the software applies the changes, well after the boot process completes.

Have you a modded bios for me?

Reply 122 of 124, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2021-01-12, 19:54:

If you dump yours I can do it for you, but it should be pretty simple to do it yourself.

Do not underestimate my stupidity.
Will try to send you the file tomorrow, thank you so much!

Reply 124 of 124, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2021-01-12, 19:11:

I strongly recommend you underclock the memory of the FX3000 to at least 200Mhz below spec. The DDR in the FX3000 is notorious for not lasting long at stock clocks. This does not apply to Quadro 1000 and 2000 which used vastly improved DDR2.

I would advise doing this via a BIOS mod rather than through software because the card will run at stock clock until the software applies the changes, well after the boot process completes.

I should clarify that the Quadro 1000 and 2000 may not be that much better of an improvement with regard to memory quality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM#Rela … _to_GDDR_memory

"GDDR2, a form of GDDR SDRAM, was developed by Samsung and introduced in July 2002. The first commercial product to claim using the "DDR2" technology was the Nvidia GeForce FX 5800 graphics card. However, it is important to note that this GDDR2 memory used on graphics cards is not DDR2 per se, but rather an early midpoint between DDR and DDR2 technologies. Using "DDR2" to refer to GDDR2 is a colloquial misnomer. In particular, the performance-enhancing doubling of the I/O clock rate is missing. It had severe overheating issues due to the nominal DDR voltages. ATI has since designed the GDDR technology further into GDDR3, which is based on DDR2 SDRAM, though with several additions suited for graphics cards.

GDDR3 and GDDR5 is now commonly used in modern graphics cards and some tablet PCs. However, further confusion has been added to the mix with the appearance of budget and mid-range graphics cards which claim to use "GDDR2". These cards actually use standard DDR2 chips designed for use as main system memory although operating with higher latencies to achieve higher clockrates. These chips cannot achieve the clock rates of GDDR3 but are inexpensive and fast enough to be used as memory on mid-range cards.

So are the FX2000 and FX1000 that much better than the FX3000 with regard to memory quality? It comes down to whether Samsung "GDDR2" is better than Hynix GDDR. Neither are based on DDR2.

7ivtic.png