VOGONS

Fastest AGP card ever made.

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 59, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a HD 2900 XT 1GB in an NF4 machine at the moment. I love all that pointless memory bandwidth! Yeah the world will be 100% FP16 texturing by 2007!!!! And who wants to use MSAA anyway - cripple that stuff!!! And it's super at heating and drowning out background noise like your game. 😀

Reply 42 of 59, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

I have a HD 2900 XT 1GB in an NF4 machine at the moment. I love all that pointless memory bandwidth! Yeah the world will be 100% FP16 texturing by 2007!!!! And who wants to use MSAA anyway - cripple that stuff!!! And it's super at heating and drowning out background noise like your game. 😀

I'm sure you never get cold in the winter either!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 43 of 59, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm sure you never get cold in the winter either!

Actually that crown goes to 8800GTX/Ultra. Radeon 2900XT blower cooler was just very inefficient.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 44 of 59, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Actually that crown goes to 8800GTX/Ultra. Radeon 2900XT blower cooler was just very inefficient.

Yeah 8800 Ultra's cooler is less annoying. It seems to be mostly a matter of an annoying fan and poor acoustics of the housing. I don't think I know of a ATI cooler that I approve of....

Reply 45 of 59, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has anyone ever actually seen one of these mythical HIS Radeon HD3870 AGP cards?

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/compute … e-hammer,4.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/his-hd- … 70-iceq-3.b6352

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 46 of 59, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GDDR4 cards don't exist in retail, but 3850 IceQ3 model has the same PCB and arguably can be called 3860 or 3870LE.

Reply 48 of 59, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mr. horse wrote:

I seen rumors of agp nvidia 8 and 9 cards being sold in china.

I remember reading that, although a slower AGP GeForce 8800 was planned, nVidia or one of their board partners just couldn't get G80 to work properly with the HSI bridge chip that was used on GeForce 6 and 7 cards.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 50 of 59, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

He won't reply with this nick

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 52 of 59, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder how agp version of 8800GT would do against Radeon HD 3850 if it exists.

If HSI bridge stopped production at obscure prototype stage, most likely very very bad.

Probably comparable to the original HSI bridged 6800 PCI-E cards on a modern systems - it's horrible buggy mess.

Reply 53 of 59, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Synaps3 wrote:

For the lower voltage AGP bus 4x and 8x - Radeon HD 4670

For the 3.3V AGP 2x systems - Radeon 9800 Pro or GeForce FX 5950

Aren't Radeons 9800 PRO 1.5V only despite having universal AGP keying?

I had one by Saphire, and one by Herclues - both don't work with AGP port version 1.0 (3.3V)

I've heard some work at 1.5V but I don't know which ones....

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 54 of 59, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, they work absolutely fine with 3.3v slots. In your case that's just picky motherboard probably. I have a bunch of absolutely different cards which refuse to boot on ASUS P3B-F.

Reply 55 of 59, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Probably comparable to the original HSI bridged 6800 PCI-E cards on a modern systems - it's horrible buggy mess.

What kind of bugs? Last time I tried NV45 on Sandy Bridge system, it worked fine. I guess SB no longer deserves the "modern system" sticker... but still much newer than 2004 era HW like the GF 6800.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 56 of 59, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

No, they work absolutely fine with 3.3v slots. In your case that's just picky motherboard probably. I have a bunch of absolutely different cards which refuse to boot on ASUS P3B-F.

You read my mind - I checked it exactly on ASUS P3B-F only 😁 Have to check it on ABIT BE6-II too then 😉 you are sure I won't damege anything? 😜

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 57 of 59, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

He won't reply with this nick

🤣

Mr. horse wrote:

I seen rumors of agp nvidia 8 and 9 cards being sold in china.

Given the amount of 'fake' cards that come out China, I would be wary of any such claims. There are a lot of fake cards floating around which use old outdated chipsets and are flashed to appear like something they are not...similar to what they do with fake SSD's which are flashed into thinking they have capacity that they physically don't. People only realise when write operations fail, or worse, the operation appears to succeed, afterwhich the data is no where to be found on the drive.

https://www.tech-bazaar.com/the-good-and-bad- … -graphics-card/

If you see an 8-bit ISA TitanXp 😵 ... buyer beware!

Reply 58 of 59, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What kind of bugs? Last time I tried NV45

For some reason all my NV40 + HSI (NV45) cards work with extreme slowdowns in 3D on the Intel X58 + Win7 system. GeForce 7800/7900 or any other non-bridged cards don't exhibit such behavior.

you are sure I won't damege anything?

Yes, 440BX works fine with them. Although I won't risk to put one in a Super Socket 7 board.

Reply 59 of 59, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting, well the truth is I used winXP and that worked fine. So maybe windows 7 could be the problem? Anyway, GF 6800 Ultra is on my to-benchmark list and this time I am using windows 7 x64 and Sandy Bridge -E, so perhaps I will run into problems too.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware