VOGONS

First post, by PixelPolish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

So I've had this "turn of the century dream machine" rig for a while now, but only recently I started really getting into some of the games from 97-99' to actually play them to completion. Mainly due to the fact that I've managed to snag a nice 1024x768 native res LCD monitor and got a dedicated space for this "beast". Games with native Glide support work pretty fine in 768p, but I've hit a major snag while trying to play Direct3D only games on my rig.

Now I remember full well that 3dfx cards were not playing well with D3D, but back around '00 I was still using S3 Virge/Voodoo 1 combo running on Pentium 166MMX with 16 megs of ram, before switching to nVidia (and skipping the Voodoo 3 card that I always dreamt of). My current Win98SE has Voodoo 3 2000, Pentium III 1GHz and 512MB RAM in it, so I was expecting (perhaps naively) that V3 would perform beautifully even in D3D games. Sadly that's not the case and it feels like there's something wrong with that configuration - either hardware or settings-wise.

For example, while playing SHOGO or Heavy Gear 2 in 768p, transparency effects like smoke, explosions or even windows cause massive slowdown. And not just the king that I'm used to, which is dropping frames, but the game still runs at it's normal speed. I'm talking literal slow-motion. like the game still wants to render all the target frames, but since the hardware can't keep up it takes it twice as long to do it. At moments like these the mouse movement feels like I'm treading through molasses, before it subsides when I either look away from the source of the problem or it vanishes. In HG2 even opening the Esc menu causes this slowdown and it's just 3 semi-transparent sprites for buttons.

Switching resolution to 800x600 helps considerably, but that defeats the purpose of my 1024x768 monitor which I've got specifically for this card so I can have the pixels be as sharp as possible. Now I'm not sure if that's V3's inherent problem, or if I can somehow remedy the situation. I have experimenting with different D3D settings in 3dfx Tools to no avail. Even turning off V-Sync doesn't make a dent. I have tried Amigamerlin and official 1.07 drivers with zero difference to the performance. Now I'm not sure if it's just those games being very poorly optimized or is there something I can do about it and it frustrates me to no end.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
~George Bernard Shaw

My YouTube Channel

Reply 1 of 3, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I’ve read the Voodoo3’s have poor alpha blending performance. There only seems to be one option in the driver settings for it, you could try seeing if Smoother vs Sharper has any impact. You would have better luck seeing if SHOGO or HG2 have any graphical tweaks related to smoke or alpha blending.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 2 of 3, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've noticed massive slow downs with most cards from this era when there is detailed smoke in a scene. The first narrow hallway in the first level of Descent 3 basically brings any pre-Geforce to its knees at anything over 800x600. And you're right, it feels more like slow motion than low frame rate. I remember this being normal back in those days. Someone with more knowledge of rendering and graphics could probably explain what makes a game slow down this way versus just getting choppy. Also, I think Descent 3 even used Glide so I don't believe it is totally API dependent.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 3 of 3, by PixelPolish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I've noticed that in Descent 3 as well... as it's pretty hard to miss, sadly. The reason why I was suspecting it might be user error (settings, etc) is that it's pretty weird to have a game that predates the card's release by a year or two performing so poorly on hardware that was supposed to be superior to anything available on the market when the game hit the shelves. The worst offender is the SloMo effect. I would take choppy over swimming through tar any day of the week, at this seriously throws your aim off.

Btw, I did experiment with alpha blending setting in 3dfx Tools, but saw no improvement on any setting. At least in HG2 I was able to mitigate it (somewhat noticeably) by lowering shadow and effects quality (which pains me greatly), but while playing Shogo I couldn't find any configuration that would help (other than lowering the resolution) so I just soldiered through the entire game @1024, despite the slowdowns.

I guess that was just a sign of the times back then. Oh well, I wanted the genuine experience so I willembrace it. It still beats having to finish Half-Life 1 and a multitude of other games on 166MMX with Voodoo 1 while playing @512x384 and barely getting 30FPS. Despite the performance problems, playing those games now using era-accurate gear (including ball mouse) is somehow infinitely more satisfying than playing them in 1080p on i7 via 3dfx emulation and that sort of trickery. And nothing can emulate those 3dfx slightly washed out visuals and dithered transparency you get from the real thing. Brings back all the feels 😉

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
~George Bernard Shaw

My YouTube Channel