First post, by Planet-Dune
I bought a 3Dfx lot of 9 cards locally (8 pictured below). The lot also included a Voodoo 5 5500 (not pictured as it came in a case). I was wondering if any of those were "special" in any kind of way and so far got the following:
* The black card has a bit higher value because of the color of the PCB.
* The bottom two V2's because they are a matching pair.
* The internal and external linking cables are sought after.
* The middle card is not standard.
I think this covers it but if anyone notices anything else, let me know.
My own Win98SE 3Dfx retro build currently uses a Voodoo3. I figured to just upgrade it to the Voodoo5 but then read that I will lose compatibility with older titles. As that defeats the point of the build I am hesitant. Mu subquestions:
* Is it possible to use two 3Dfx cards in the same system (I believe it is)
* Which combination would work best? (I am leaning towards a Voodoo 2 and the Voodoo 5)
* My system also is also used for DOS games. I take those won't mind using the Voodoo 5 (for non 3dfx)?
* Will DOS games be able to use the Voodoo2 in glide mode? (thinking of games like Carma, TR, GTA1...) that should run fine on a V2.
I know these are a lot of 3dfx related questions, but I want to inform myself well before actually starting to convert my build and never tried 2 3dfx cards in the same system.