VOGONS

First post, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Question 1:
I bought a 3Dfx lot of 9 cards locally (8 pictured below). The lot also included a Voodoo 5 5500 (not pictured as it came in a case). I was wondering if any of those were "special" in any kind of way and so far got the following:

* The black card has a bit higher value because of the color of the PCB.
* The bottom two V2's because they are a matching pair.
* The internal and external linking cables are sought after.
* The middle card is not standard.

I think this covers it but if anyone notices anything else, let me know.

Question 2:
My own Win98SE 3Dfx retro build currently uses a Voodoo3. I figured to just upgrade it to the Voodoo5 but then read that I will lose compatibility with older titles. As that defeats the point of the build I am hesitant. Mu subquestions:

* Is it possible to use two 3Dfx cards in the same system (I believe it is)
* Which combination would work best? (I am leaning towards a Voodoo 2 and the Voodoo 5)
* My system also is also used for DOS games. I take those won't mind using the Voodoo 5 (for non 3dfx)?
* Will DOS games be able to use the Voodoo2 in glide mode? (thinking of games like Carma, TR, GTA1...) that should run fine on a V2.

I know these are a lot of 3dfx related questions, but I want to inform myself well before actually starting to convert my build and never tried 2 3dfx cards in the same system.

Thanks!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 12, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't really use 2 3dfxs in one, easily.

I prefer v5 and v2sli. But I have lots a of builds. If I only had a single early win98 build I would choose the v3.

V5 should be fine for 2d dos games, haven't heard otherwise.

V2sli works well for dos Glide games.

Reply 2 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2x Voodoo 2 and the Voodoo 5 should work in the same system.

For the Voodoo 2 cards, use 2 with 100Mhz RAM. You also want 12MB ones.

The external link/passtrhrough cable is just a short vga extension cable. Easy to get. No need to spend a stupid amount on one that came with the card.

The internal link cable can be made really easily if you don't already have one.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 12, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-03-09, 19:48:
Can't really use 2 3dfxs in one, easily. […]
Show full quote

I prefer v5 and v2sli. But I have lots a of builds. If I only had a single early win98 build I would choose the v3.

You mean it works "easily" or it does "not" ? Will it work "out of the box" or will trickery be involved?

Reply 4 of 12, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-03-09, 19:51:
2x Voodoo 2 and the Voodoo 5 should work in the same system. […]
Show full quote

2x Voodoo 2 and the Voodoo 5 should work in the same system.

For the Voodoo 2 cards, use 2 with 100Mhz RAM. You also want 12MB ones.

The external link/passtrhrough cable is just a short vga extension cable. Easy to get. No need to spend a stupid amount on one that came with the card.

The internal link cable can be made really easily if you don't already have one.

2x V2 in SLI and one V5... hmm didn't think of that.. so you basically connect the two v2's with the small internal ide cable and then connect one of the v2's with the exterior linking cable to the V5 ?

Reply 5 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-03-09, 19:22:

I don't think so. That's an A-Trend Helios 3D card, which is nothing special. And A-Trend wasn't a brand known for high-quality either, unlike Diamond for example. A Diamond Monster 3D would have a higher value.

Reply 6 of 12, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-09, 20:07:
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-03-09, 19:22:

I don't think so. That's an A-Trend Helios 3D card, which is nothing special. And A-Trend wasn't a brand known for high-quality either, unlike Diamond for example. A Diamond Monster 3D would have a higher value.

Thanks, this is the kind of information I need as I have little experience with these cards.

Reply 7 of 12, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-03-09, 19:59:
kolderman wrote on 2020-03-09, 19:48:
Can't really use 2 3dfxs in one, easily. […]
Show full quote

You mean it works "easily" or it does "not" ? Will it work "out of the box" or will trickery be involved?

You might have to mess with drivers to get different games to work with different cards. For some games, this just may not work at all. I have not really heard this is a common thing to do, there is probably a reason for that.

Reply 9 of 12, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
douglar wrote on 2020-03-10, 02:42:

I heard that you should not test 3Dfx AGP cards in a motherboard with a universal AGP slot. Is that true?

Sortof. Some mobos with uAGP definitely support 3.3v, and you are safe. Others don't support 3.3v, but have a cutoff to prevent damage. Some may do neither and will damage both the board and card. Most big name brands are in the first two categories, but do research and test wirha throwaway AGP card (not a voodoo) first.

Reply 10 of 12, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The top right card being a pci banshee might be worth a little more, and is a good all in one card for pentium/pentium pro systems

For maximum compatibility with early dos games, maybe you can run the voodoo 1 (black card) with the voodoo 5?

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 11 of 12, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My understanding is that a Voodoo 3 + Voodoo 1 combo is ideal for a balance of performance and full backwards compatibility with DOS Glide.
It shouldn't be *too* hard to install drivers properly either.

Honestly though, you might as well avoid the hassle of card conflicts and just go with a V2-Sli setup. It'd be on par with a mid-tier V3 anyway, and V2's allready have great compatibility with early glide games out of the box.

Pair it with a nice, DOS-friendly 2D card like an S3Trio/Virge and have yourself a great time 😁
No idea about V5s. But they probably wouln't be the best choice for a "compatibility" build, anyway

Reply 12 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As mentioned sli and passthrough cables alternatives are easy to come by now, nice to get but not a deal breaker
Same as matched V2's. Cosmetically it's nice to have 2 of the same but no longer needed with unofficial drivers.
V5 is very desirable to collectors, That said anything 3dfx is going up in price.

As for Q2
Dos games expect a Voodoo 1, If a V2 or above will work depends on the games. This is a good post on compatibility, I would think if it works on a V2 it'll work on a V5 but haven't tried.
Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

Win9x games are better but some titles still struggle, Need for Speed 3 for example needs a bit of tweaking to work with anything later then a V2
I'd try your games with the V5 and if they all work great, if not stick with the V3, I don't really see why you would want to "downgrade" to the V2's unless it's just for the coolness of SLI which is perfectly good reason in itself.