VOGONS

First post, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just something strange... I have had an AGP Voodoo3 3000 (standard 166/166 clock, fan has been added) in my Gateway G6-450 system for over a year now. The motherboard is a Gateway Tabor3 which is based on one of the SE440BX's (I think the SE440BX-2), the CPU is a Coppermine-128 1100mhz in a generic slotket.
Recently when I boot it up it gives a beep code - 1 long, 3 short beeps. My understanding is this is a generic video card issue. A POST diagnostics card backs up that the BIOS things something is wrong with the graphics - the last two codes shown during the beeping are 48 and 4A. On PhoenixBIOS these correspond to "Check video configuration against CMOS" and "Initialize all video adapters in system". I should note it has been working for over a year at this point without the beeping, this came on suddenly. The only thing I have done to it recently was swapped out a bad optical drive, but the issue did not manifest at the same time -- it was a few weeks after.

However, there doesn't actually seem to be anything wrong. After it beeps, the system boots normally, and I can see the BIOS. Windows works, I've tested games and no issues, no graphics artifacting or anything! The only potentially weird thing I can see is that when I warm reboot the system, the screen is briefly solid red or solid green before the Voodoo3 Video BIOS message shows up. Doesn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason to which color, but it's always one of those two. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get it to stop beeping again? Should I worry that my card is dying?

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 1 of 1, by jon86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same weird issue with my Voodoo3 3000 paired with a Dell/Intel SE440bx-3 motherboard. No clue what could be the cause. I could only find this thread and it doesn't offer a promising outlook. I have been using the card from time to time in the past three years and it does seem to be functioning properly in both windows and dos.