VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am testing various video cards on a brand new Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard I purchased last year. Other than a dead coin battery, everything seems to be working as it should, with the exception of using Voodoo cards.

I have tried two Voodoo 3 3000 AGP cards with the board. With both, the board emits one long beep followed by three short beeps. One of my reference guides says that this is an error message related to the VGA card. Now, here's the weird part:

After the beeps, one V3 does not output any video. The computer goes through its boot sequence, and I can hear the drives spinning up. However, the system turns off after about 30 seconds, before fully booting into Windows. This V3 works fine in an HP Pavilion box I have.

Another V3 works just fine on the SE440BX-2 except for the beeps. Sometimes it will not cause a beep at all, but it usually does upon a cold boot.

Are there differences among V3 3000 AGPs so significant that it would cause this kind of behavior? Or might this be an issue with the board? A Banshee board also beeps but works fine otherwise. All Nvidia boards work as they should with no beeps. The PS is a relatively-new Corsair CX430.

Reply 1 of 12, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is what I can tell you. I own several Intel SE440BX-2's, It is my absolute favorite board! I also own different Voodoo3's and I use them together. I have not had the problem you describe but here is what I would do.

1: Have you tried something other than your Voodoo3 in the AGP slot?
2. In BIOS is video set to init AGP first?
3. Have you tried a different power supply?

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 2 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Remove the battery and use the clear CMOS jumper.

Isn't the V3 known to draw more power than other cards? Maybe something to do with this?

Although the issue seems to lie with the video, do try different RAM. You never know 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 12, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly Phil, I would like to know if a low-power card functions in the slot and if another PSU works.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 4 of 12, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, guys. I won't have time to test any more today because of the holiday here in the US, but here's more info:

1. I tested a Ti4600, a Geforce2 MX, a Banshee, and the two V3s. (Also an FX5500 on the PCI bus). The Nvidia cards never caused a beep. The Voodoo cards do so intermittently.
2. I have tried both init PCI and AGP. I've just tried both, and no beeps, either way. However, everything has been running for a while, so no cold boots after a long period off (not sure if this makes a difference).
3. Yes, I think so. I think I tried an old one with 30W on the +5v rail (the Corsair has 20W). I will test again after the holiday.

I have tried two sticks of 128MB PC100 RAM. I have taken one out and put both in. I was thinking this may be the case too. Will try other sticks later. Thanks again for now!

Reply 5 of 12, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this in a case or in an open test setup?

I ask this because i have a few voodoo cards (incluiding v3 agp and pci) that do not make a perfect connection with the slot when inserted in various boards without keeping them straight up (or fasten with a screw in a case).
Could be a simple matter of cleaning the contacts of the cards, even when they work in another system.

BX has no problems with the powerdraw of the v3 3000 (when the psu is in good working condition ofcourse).

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 12, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's interesting. I am doing this on a bench without a case. I did notice that one of the cards fits more snugly than the other, and it is also the one that works. I will use some contact cleaner once I get back to the bench.

Reply 7 of 12, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I had a chance to test all the suggestions, with one exception. I tried different sticks of SDRAM using one or two sticks at a time; I used contact cleaner on the offending V3 (pretty clean already); I tried three different power supplies. I did not case the build, but I did make sure that the V3 was seated firmly as if it were secured.

Same problem.

Very weird. Right now, the only conclusion that I can come to is that the particular revision of this V3 is not compatible with my SE440BX-2 for some reason. It's possible that there's a problem with the mobo, but my money is on the V3.

I also tested a Radeon 7200 (PCI), TNT2 Ultra (AGP), and a Radeon 9500 Pro (AGP). All worked with no beeps.

Here are photos of my two V3 AGPs, just for kicks.

Doesn't work in SE440BX-2
P1110567.jpg

Does work in SE440BX-2
P1110569.jpg

Reply 9 of 12, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was booting up both cards in the OEM system to check the BIOS when I solved the mystery.

The problem card caused a beep in the OEM system this time. I swapped it with the good card, which booted up right away. I waited a bit, then swapped in the bad card. That's when I saw this following an artifacted Windows 98 splash screen:

P1110571.jpg

The V3 was dying. A shame.

Reply 10 of 12, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry to hear your card is on the way out. You could always get the Compaq-branded 3DFX V3-3500 AGP (non-TV) for cheap - 183Mhz w/5.5ns RAM onboard:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3DFX-COMPAQ-147286-00 … =item27b06841ee

I picked up 5 of these myself since they were hard to pass up for the money (and performance). Always loved the 2 x 12MB Voodoo2 setup for the 'retro' factor, but in a pinch, these have great visual quality with excellent 16-bit color performance without using a pass-through. Looks like Sqareguy has one himself (according to his sig).

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 11 of 12, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do! Great cards when you need a Voodoo3 and have an AGP slot that needs filling.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 12 of 12, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

Sorry to hear your card is on the way out. You could always get the Compaq-branded 3DFX V3-3500 AGP (non-TV) for cheap - 183Mhz w/5.5ns RAM onboard:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3DFX-COMPAQ-147286-00 … =item27b06841ee

I picked up 5 of these myself since they were hard to pass up for the money (and performance). Always loved the 2 x 12MB Voodoo2 setup for the 'retro' factor, but in a pinch, these have great visual quality with excellent 16-bit color performance without using a pass-through. Looks like Sqareguy has one himself (according to his sig).

Thank you for the suggestion! It's always nice to have a few of these on hand. Don't ever want to be without Glide.