VOGONS

First post, by GriffintheFolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using a low-profile GeForce 6200 AGP video card with 512 MB VRAM in an HP Compaq d530 SFF system, running Windows 98 SE.
The system does have official support for Windows 98 SE; I believe it uses an Intel 865 series chipset.

However, after installing chipset drivers and then installing the Nvidia drivers (version 81.98), upon rebooting, the system shows the Windows 98 boot screen before proceeding to a blinking cursor for a few seconds, which is normal. The screen then goes blank for a second or two while it is loading the video driver, but then it returns to the blinking cursor and locks up, proceeding no further.

I've already tried many different updates and fixes, such as installing Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and updating DirectX to 9.0c. I even tried some of the various unofficial Nvidia drivers for Windows 9x.
An earlier post in this forum also mentions issues with the type of card I have, but the original poster implied that even though they got a display error from Windows, it still displayed some sort of image; like described previously, I am getting nothing at all. I also tried suggestions from that thread, including decreasing the AGP aperture size in the BIOS, to no avail.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

My pronouns are they/them; please refer to me as such. Thank you.

Reply 1 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would try an earlier driver. The 66.94 supports the 6200: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/nvidia-9x-gr … cs-drivers.html

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 7, by GriffintheFolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-07-10, 21:16:

I would try an earlier driver. The 66.94 supports the 6200: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/nvidia-9x-gr … cs-drivers.html

Hmm, that didn't work sadly. I had to install the driver manually since the setup program said it couldn't detect any Nvidia cards installed.
Nevertheless, I installed the driver manually, where Windows warned me it wasn't compatible. I proceeded anyway, and when rebooting, the system restarted without warning during the boot screen. It then reloaded with the standard 16-colour VGA driver, alongside this message in the device manager:

Windows stopped responding while attempting to start this device, and therefore will never attempt to start this device again (Code 11.)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

I'm guessing my card is a slightly later revision of the 6200; I'll verify that the device (PCI?) ID matches those that the driver supports. If not, I'll try a slightly newer driver.
If it helps, the card's exact model is a Gigabyte GV-N62-512L.

Reply 3 of 7, by GriffintheFolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, so I ended up getting the card working somewhat. After continual frustration, I tried using the patch from the late rloew to see if the card would work, and it did!

However, there now exists a new problem where the resolution cannot be adjusted beyond 640x480; the resolution of my monitor is 1280x1024. I might try doing a clean install again to see if this fixes the problem, but are there any other possible reasons for it?

EDIT: I utilized the unofficial 82.68 drivers, as directed by the patch.

Last edited by GriffintheFolf on 2022-07-11, 18:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 7, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GriffintheFolf wrote on 2022-07-11, 15:37:

Alright, so I ended up getting the card working somewhat. After continual frustration, I tried using the patch from the late rloew to see if the card would work, and it did!

However, there now exists a new problem where the resolution cannot be adjusted beyond 640x480; the resolution of my monitor is 1280x1024. I might try doing a clean install again to see if this fixes the problem, but are there any other possible reasons for it?

select a monitor in generic types i think

Reply 5 of 7, by GriffintheFolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GriffintheFolf wrote on 2022-07-11, 15:37:

Fixed! I used the last official drivers (version 81.89) with the patch and my resolution now works perfectly.

Thank you all for your help!

Reply 6 of 7, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are full system specs?

I had a bunch of problems getting 6200s to work under 9x

Ended up switching to radeon 7500

I think around that time the drivers started needing 6x86 instructions. (If you are on a 5x86 that may be the reason for some problems)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 7, by GriffintheFolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-07-12, 02:55:

What are full system specs?

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz
256 MB DDR1 RAM
40 GB IDE HDD
Intel 865 series chipset
HP dvd630i DVD burner
GeForce 6200 low-profile AGP
Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1370 (having issues with DOS games there)