VOGONS

First post, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I have two different RIVA 128 PCI cards, a Diamond Viper V330, and an Elsa Victory Erazor 4. The Diamond card worked perfectly, but when testing other graphics cards including the Elsa card, I lost the driver for the Diamond. I have tested five different drivers for the two cards, none of them work completely. Three special drivers for the Diamond. One for Windows 95, two for Windows 98, plus the last general RIVA 128 driver in version 3.37. With the Elsa there were two drivers specifically for this card and the general driver. Depending on the driver, there are problems with 3DMark 99 in the "Texture Filtering Speed" tests and always with "n Pixel Polygons". Also, depending on the driver, my DVD player (PowerDVD 4.0) no longer works.
Maybe it only affects 3DMark 99, the DirectX tests and e.g. Turok work. Do you have another driver that you can recommend? Maybe a later unofficial driver? Difficult to say which specific drivers I had tested exactly because the version number cannot be recognized afterwards. Who has experience and can help?
Thanks!

Reply 1 of 9, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if no one has a driver for you then unfortunately you will have to try out all kinds of drivers that you find online (just virus check first!) but then you will be able to help the next person with same issue 😀

Reply 2 of 9, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I have. With the result that no driver can be fully recommended. The cards are of course ideal for DOS. But not for 3D on Windows. I still have a friend's Voodoo 2 card, but at some point he wants it back. 😉 If anyone is interested, I'll post the exact versions of the drivers I tested.

Reply 3 of 9, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a few Diamond Viper 330 drivers. 1.30 is the latest, along with 1.28-AGP or 1.28-PCI. I remember finding them on some random FTP I'd seen linked here before. If they sound good, let me know how you want me to send them to you.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 4 of 9, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, 1.30 ist the lasted driver. This is the one i`m using right now. Found it on a random pc mag cd on the archive.
I also found my older driver, it is the only version capable of running the whole 3DMark 99 benchmark, but with some minor problems.

There is also the possibility that both cards that I got very cheaply from the same supplier are defective, but I think it's the drivers. The problem is that I have no comparison.

It looks similar with Elsa's card, I'm using the latest drivers but the errors have remained. Maybe I should test something else besides 3DMark 99? Turok is running, doesn't have any graphic errors either, but I just don't know if the speed is right.

Can you maybe run 3DMark 99. My K6-III 400 should be a bit faster, but I don't know if the result of just 762 points is correct with the driver that works there.
Thx.

Reply 5 of 9, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll give it a spin. I'm running 3dmark99 max. Looking at previous results I've saved, It does look like when I had a PCI Velocity 128 in there with some "196" drivers I found, it did pretty well. Around 1000 points. When I switched to the AGP Diamond V330 and used it's latest drivers, the second benchmark was clearly glitching out, recording only 3 FPS and tanking the overall score down to about 400ish. However, I've never ever noticed a problem in contemporary games like Shogo, Quake 2, GLQuake, Dark Forces, etc. They run about how you'd expect. At least going from memory. Although firing up Quake 2, Shogo and GLQuake just now seems fine. Dark Forces isn't currently installed.

We won't mention Blood 2, which took me down a totally different rabbit hole.

And glancing over at how it's running, I'd say the second benchmark is still pretty fucked. Probably going to wind up with the same 400-ish score it had before. And yeah, that looks to be what happened.

I haven't tried any NVTweak settings however. Wasn't worth the trouble to fix a benchmark when I was trying to play games.

Reply 6 of 9, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All Pixel Polygons Test (individual) look like this.
Why?
On two different RIVA 128 PCI cards, with two different drivers, on two different PC`s.
I dont get it.

Attachments

• DSC_0632.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0632.JPG
    File size
    828.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 9, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Demolition-Man wrote on 2023-06-19, 19:38:
All Pixel Polygons Test (individual) look like this. Why? On two different RIVA 128 PCI cards, with two different drivers, on tw […]
Show full quote

All Pixel Polygons Test (individual) look like this.
Why?
On two different RIVA 128 PCI cards, with two different drivers, on two different PC`s.
I dont get it.

I saw some of that looking over my shoulder while it was running the benchmark too. No clue why it does it. But like I said, I saw zero impact on actual games.

My only guess is that the Riva128 was always a bit... special. It's basically a DX5 card, with some "driver support" for DX6, and 3dmark99max is a DX6.1 benchmark.

How'd it do with the nvidia reference drivers versus the likely more out of date vendor specific drivers? I recall those doing better with 3dmark99, but having some troublesome issues in games, low ram systems, and windows 95.

Reply 8 of 9, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Small update, I checked youtube, and RetroSpector78 did a video about the Diamond V330, and using the latest reference drivers he as well got about 3 fps on the second timedemo. I'd fuck with my own system more, but I'm kind of happy with how it's running and messing with drivers too much on Win95 is tempting fate. For capricious reasons beyond my understanding, the slightest of driver changes causes it to fail to shut down properly.

Reply 9 of 9, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are there other 3D games that work on the RIVA 128, but you can choose which graphics card to use? The Voodoo 2 interferes there, but should remain in the system.