VOGONS

First post, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a voodoo 5 and while searching for a better cooling solution I happened to find this https://www.voodooalert.de/board/forum/index. … 2-plus-version/

It took me less than 24 hours to convince myself that I could do this with my preferred choice for retro heatsinks, i started the project today and everything seems to be going well, there's a slight inclination of the screws but I guess thanks to the rubber it shouldn't be a problem, also the pressure is pretty good, I will probably need to pull some weird mod for the second cooler to make it fit with the first one though.

Attachments

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 3 of 11, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Consider using some sort of mechanical support, these coolers are heavy - especially copper variants.
Also I think they won't cool that much better than original ones - VSA 100 plastic package heat conductivity it very poor, so no matter how big the heatsink is, the chips will always run hot... But at least it looks good and will run very quiet 😀

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 5 of 11, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know it's overkill, I know really. But every single GPU in my setups mount a zalman cooler,I was able to find 2 in the original package for a low ass price and so my project started.

I was also planning an overclock and I just wanted the be as safe as humanly possible, even more so because this is a special build, it's a memorial setup for a cousin of mine that died and I was given his old PC, he loved voodoo cards and as such I took the best I had in my collection to build the ultimate voodoo machine.

Also I truly, truly love zalman coolers for retro GPUs.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 6 of 11, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
havli wrote on 2023-10-14, 17:52:

Consider using some sort of mechanical support, these coolers are heavy - especially copper variants.
Also I think they won't cool that much better than original ones - VSA 100 plastic package heat conductivity it very poor, so no matter how big the heatsink is, the chips will always run hot... But at least it looks good and will run very quiet 😀

I was thinking to 3d print a vertical anti sag pillar, I don't know how to directly support the heatsink more besides printing a pillar that also supports the heatsink itself.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 7 of 11, by Dolenc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to love those zalman coolers "back in the day". When I started (so now) the old gpu hoarding process, a local computer store had some still new, ofc I took the vf900 fatality edition... (Same fan as vf700)

Well this fan on it, just has a terrible bearing sound profile to it. No matter what rpm. Forgot that "back in the day" everything was noisy and this zalman was amazing... But now... Cools great though, direct die, dont think it will come to life on the voodoo as others mentioned.

But hey, if you like it, why not, just support the pcb. You can get those cheap adjustable stands from aliexpress.

Reply 8 of 11, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dolenc wrote on 2023-10-14, 21:54:

I used to love those zalman coolers "back in the day". When I started (so now) the old gpu hoarding process, a local computer store had some still new, ofc I took the vf900 fatality edition... (Same fan as vf700)

Well this fan on it, just has a terrible bearing sound profile to it. No matter what rpm. Forgot that "back in the day" everything was noisy and this zalman was amazing... But now... Cools great though, direct die, dont think it will come to life on the voodoo as others mentioned.

But hey, if you like it, why not, just support the pcb. You can get those cheap adjustable stands from aliexpress.

The zalman fan is weird, some are noisy (but really not much) others are eerily quiet, this one is in between, pretty silent at 12v and completely silent at 5v.
For the temps i'm fine with overkill, then again that guy that used the arctic coolers saw a big drop in temps, it's definitely gonna be better than the standard one, even more so overclocked.

Also can you link those stands?

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 10 of 11, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aaaah ok I can 3d print that In a really solid filament since I already have it, the printer is also a professional one so I will be fine.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 11 of 11, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally finished putting all heatsinks, i also added a tiny ram heatsink on the back of the pcb where the die is, it might be useless but it's absorbing a lot of heat, fans are also really quiet.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png