VOGONS

First post, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Radeon 9800 repair project.

Looks like the board is missing a Falco 2.2uH, 20% Inductor. I thought I could replace it with a SIBBLE 2.2UH CDRH104R Surface Mount Power Inductor.

But when I looked closer, it looks like there is resistor underneath it that is missing, R1563o.

Can anyone help me ID the possible missing resistor?

Photo Dec 06 2023, 1 03 25 PM.jpg
Filename
Photo Dec 06 2023, 1 03 25 PM.jpg
File size
663.75 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Photo Dec 06 2023, 1 02 37 PM.jpg
Filename
Photo Dec 06 2023, 1 02 37 PM.jpg
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 6, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Surely it was impossible for that resistor to have existed AND a flush surface mount inductor present as well?

Likely a PCB that was also used for another Radeon product where the resistor existed but the inductor didn’t.

Reply 2 of 6, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
paradigital wrote on 2023-12-06, 18:28:

Surely it was impossible for that resistor to have existed AND a flush surface mount inductor present as well?

Likely a PCB that was also used for another Radeon product where the resistor existed but the inductor didn’t.

OK, thanks. The remaining inductor is flush with the board, so what you are saying makes sense.

Reply 3 of 6, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A resistor in parallel with an inductor is used to reduce ringing in the circuit (a kind of parasitic oscillation when a voltage suddenly changes).

You really need to look at another 9800 to make sure what should be there.

Reply 4 of 6, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The solder pads for that hidden resistor on my board look like they are unused.

I think shevalier might have the same card. can you look at the card from the edge to see if there is a resistor under the I1 inductor?

shevalier wrote on 2023-03-11, 16:22:

Reply 6 of 6, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rwolf wrote on 2023-12-08, 01:12:

Zooming in, it looks to me there could be a copper trace between the resistor pads - if so, it should not be mounted.

I mounted the inductor without the resistor, powered up and I got a vga image! Yeah! but the fan was not running.

I powered down after about 15 seconds to fiddle with the fan, and couldn't get an image again when I gave it power again. Booo!

I'll get back to this projects after I finish blowing the tantalum capacitors off an 16K-64K 5150 motherboard. Terrifying little fire crackers, them yellow buggers are!