VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 140 of 219, by 8bitbubsy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2020-10-28, 07:09:
Don't forget The Incredible Machine 2 - a great upgrade to the original. https://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/7298-the-incre […]
Show full quote

Don't forget The Incredible Machine 2 - a great upgrade to the original.
7298-the-incredible-machine-2-dos-screenshot-the-solution-for-the.gif

Man, I had so much fun with this game! I loved to solve puzzles in a non-intended way.

386:
- CPU: 386DX-40 (128kB external L1 cache)
- RAM: 8MB (0 waitstates at 40MHz)
- VGA: Diamond SpeedSTAR VGA (ET4000AX 1MB ISA)
- Audio: SB Pro 2.0 + GUS 1MB
- ISA PS/2 mouse card + ISA USB card
- MS-DOS 6.22 + Win 3.1
- MR BIOS

Reply 141 of 219, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I rlly love the graphics of Super Tetris. Here are some of my favorites (I ripped them from the original files):

Attachments

• stfire.png
    Filename
    stfire.png
    File size
    24.85 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • stjug.png
    Filename
    stjug.png
    File size
    24.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • stpigs.png
    Filename
    stpigs.png
    File size
    24.93 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • steleph.png
    Filename
    steleph.png
    File size
    22.82 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 142 of 219, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I second that. When I once saw the screenshots at Mobygames,
I was puzzled (pun intended) that a soviet themed title could be so cheerful and peaceful..
(I mean, sure, it was made by a western company, but, Tetris as a game, was THE figurehead of USSR/Russia at the time.
But never the less, Super Tetris managed to look civil.)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 144 of 219, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2021-01-23, 21:50:

I think Legend of Kyrandia 2: Hand of Fate ought to win this..

There isn't a composition I believe. Just peoples personal favorites as of members aqs far as looks go.

Loved The Incredible Machine.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 146 of 219, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No one did better 256 color art than Westwood imo! Kyrandia 1&2 and Lands of Lore are some of the best looking games of all time. I definitely prefer the clean backgrounds in Kyrandia to, for example, the scanned artwork of the VGA Sierra games.

Reply 147 of 219, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

7th Guest....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 148 of 219, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice game nobody know or talks about... Quimo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPIW_Vr_Xao

Not as good as Jazz Jackrabbit .....

So exotic there is not any information in it even in google. I have played it alot, and it is a nice game. Pretty late for a commercial DOS platformer a 1996 game.

With nice classic MOD music.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 149 of 219, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like some of my favorite games were already mentioned here... Dune II, Raptor, Maniac Mansion, DOTT, Blackthorne, Another World, Lands of Lore, Heart of Darkness, The Lost Vikings, X-COM UFO (all 3), ... So I'll mention some others, not sure about "beautiful" but I loved them:
(keeping in mind DOS only)

Shadowcaster
Sharkey's 3D Pool (it's still my favorite pool game)
Tie Fighter (I've never been into flight sims but I loved this one)
Warcraft
Arkanoid II
Aquanoid
Battle Bugs (loved it, nobody talks about this game. Never got to finish it)
Beneath a Steel Sky
Fifa 94' (lol still my favorite)
Gobliiins (all 3)
Innocent Until Caught
Guilty
Ishar 3
Lotus The Ultimate Challenge
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Space Quest IV (never got to play the others)

I know there's more but this is it right now. There are tons of more games that either I never heard of or I simply didn't get to play for whatever reason... Some of them look fabulous still today!

Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/@myoldpc9458

Reply 152 of 219, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got another one to add to the list: The Koshan Conspiracy

main_001.png
Filename
main_001.png
File size
393.22 KiB
Views
File license
main_002.png
Filename
main_002.png
File size
80.95 KiB
Views
File license
main_000.png
Filename
main_000.png
File size
71.55 KiB
Views
File license
main_004.png
Filename
main_004.png
File size
68.54 KiB
Views
File license

Never played it before today but the art is really good. The CD version adds some animations to the 2D art with some 3D pre-rendered space ships, they don't look bad either. And it even has some full 3D Elite-like sequences.

It got good reviews back then but it's very unusual. It is a French game after all 😜

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 154 of 219, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, some great art work there is! 😎

It almost brings tears to my eyes, though, that some of these are limited to a resolution that's so close to that of an Atari 2600..😢

Some of these wonderful gems would have had deserved 640x400 pels, at least.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 155 of 219, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Impressive, there are actually a few screenshots that at least made me consider playing an MS-DOS game again. I have a long list of favorite games from that era:

Prince of Persia 1 and 2
Space Quest 3-5
Leisure Suit Larry 3; 5; 6; 7 and the VGA remake
King's Quest 3-7
SimCity original and 2000
Alley Cat
Block Out
Battle Chess
Beneath a Steel Sky
Sam and Max Hit The Road
technically not dos: Nightmare Ned (from what I've seen it looks great - never got it to run properly)
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (also not DOS) - And I believe there was some discussion about its performance. In my experience it runs absolutely fine natively on Windows 10 on my newest pc.
Conquests of Camelot: The Search for the Grail
Inherit the Earth

And many, many more. I would have look at my collection.

Anyway as good looking some of these oldies are, once you have looked at a much more modern game you're spoiled forever. As much as I love these old games they're pretty clunky in comparisson.

Last edited by Peter Swinkels on 2021-05-24, 20:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 156 of 219, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Magic Pockets, Galactix, and Major Stryker.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 157 of 219, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hyperrmachine wrote on 2020-10-06, 12:01:
I just happen to know a lot of beautiful looking DOS games. But I played very few of them (lol) […]
Show full quote
quovadis11 wrote on 2020-10-06, 03:08:

Wow... There's a lot of beautiful DOS games.
In general, Japanese games made good use of bitmaps, but there were games that were comparable to Western ones.

I just happen to know a lot of beautiful looking DOS games. But I played very few of them (lol)

I feel like that Sam & Max: Hit the Road is one of the best looking adventure games of all time and the best looking LucasArts adventure game released on DOS.
I played Sam & Max a few days ago; it was okay but I felt it was too short and had a bland ending.

Speaking of cyberpunk-themed games, Rise of the Dragon comes to mind. The EGA version's color palette makes the cyberpunk feeling more real.
(Pic related is EGA version)

I just played a bit of Rise of the Dragon VGA, it looks like it's a pretty good game for the time. The controls are a bit odd though. I think you really need to be into the kind of humor Sam and Max deal with to really appreciate that game.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 158 of 219, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2021-05-24, 20:50:

I just played a bit of Rise of the Dragon VGA, it looks like it's a pretty good game for the time. The controls are a bit odd though. I think you really need to be into the kind of humor Sam and Max deal with to really appreciate that game.

I think Rise of the Dragon also has a beautiful Amiga version, that was probably the basis for the VGA one.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 159 of 219, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2021-05-24, 21:16:
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2021-05-24, 20:50:

I think Rise of the Dragon also has a beautiful Amiga version, that was probably the basis for the VGA one.

I really liked the look of the EGA version - something about the vivid colour, deep blacks, and lots of contrast - but haven't been able to find a copy of the game *anywhere*. The VGA version seems to be quite common. Has the EGA version been lost to the sands of time? I'd very much like to play it.

According to Thomas Van Velkinburgh's website, the original game art was 256 colour VGA and he did the conversions for EGA and Amiga:

My first job was converting 8bit art assets down to 4bit EGA 16 fixed color palette images. The first conversion step was handled via command line followed by hand dithering and cleanup in Dpaint. My machine specs: 12.5mhz 286 pc with 128k of ram

My second task was to convert the same art for the 32 color Amiga version of RotD. The Amiga could take advantage of unique color palettes per image with two color slots held in reserve. Working with 30 colors felt luxurious after exploring the limits of EGA.

(Surely nobody ever built a 286 with just 128KB of RAM?!)