https://www.mobygames.com/game/castles

Reply 121 of 126, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some nice Hi-res (16 color) DOS games:

Dokyusei (1992, ELF)
80745.jpg 80742.jpg
(Pictured above is the PC-98 version; the DOS version is more or less the same)
The Incredible Machine & Sid and Al's Incredible Toons(1993, Dynamix)
67970-the-incredible-machine-dos-screenshot-the-cat-chases-the-mouse.png
12374-sid-al-s-incredible-toons-dos-screenshot-the-kitty-vac-puzzle.gif

Welltris (1989, Spectrum Holobyte)
9336-welltris-dos-screenshot-at-speed-5-final-speed.gif

HYPERR.BAT

Reply 122 of 126, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just remembered Terminal Velocity was gorgeous and ran pretty well on a fast 486.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 124 of 126, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
quovadis11 wrote on 2020-10-06, 03:08:

Wow... There's a lot of beautiful DOS games.
In general, Japanese games made good use of bitmaps, but there were games that were comparable to Western ones.

I just happen to know a lot of beautiful looking DOS games. But I played very few of them (lol)

I feel like that Sam & Max: Hit the Road is one of the best looking adventure games of all time and the best looking LucasArts adventure game released on DOS.
I played Sam & Max a few days ago; it was okay but I felt it was too short and had a bland ending.

Speaking of cyberpunk-themed games, Rise of the Dragon comes to mind. The EGA version's color palette makes the cyberpunk feeling more real.
(Pic related is EGA version)

Attachments

HYPERR.BAT

Reply 125 of 126, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hyperrmachine wrote on 2020-10-06, 12:01:
I just happen to know a lot of beautiful looking DOS games. But I played very few of them (lol) […]
Show full quote

In general, Japanese games made good use of bitmaps, but there were games that were comparable to Western ones.

I just happen to know a lot of beautiful looking DOS games. But I played very few of them (lol)

I feel like that Sam & Max: Hit the Road is one of the best looking adventure games of all time and the best looking LucasArts adventure game released on DOS.
I played Sam & Max a few days ago; it was okay but I felt it was too short and had a bland ending.

Speaking of cyberpunk-themed games, Rise of the Dragon comes to mind. The EGA version's color palette makes the cyberpunk feeling more real.

I second that, Sam and Max was wonderfully drawn. There even was a cartoon show on VHS in the mid-90s with the same animation style as the intro, I think.
Rise of the Dragon is also superb. It's on par with Snatchers and Beneath a Steel Sky, I think. All three are great cyber-punk adventures, also.
I think there are some really nice ones more of this kind.
From ca. '86/'87 onwards, I think. Have to check Moby Games..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 126 of 126, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-10-16, 06:01:
hyperrmachine wrote on 2020-10-06, 12:01:
I just happen to know a lot of beautiful looking DOS games. But I played very few of them (lol) […]
Show full quote

I second that, Sam and Max was wonderfully drawn. There even was a cartoon show on VHS in the mid-90s with the same animation style as the intro, I think.

Don't you mean The Adventures of Sam & Max: Freelance Police? That came out in '97.

HYPERR.BAT