VOGONS

Common searches

Getting 'Bureaucracy' to Play

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Blaxcell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently found a download of the game Bureaucracy, by Douglas Adams and Infocom, but I'm being held back by the computer's version of red tape.

I found it here: http://link.deleted.by.MiniMax

When I try to open the _bureauc file, it seems to work, asking me if I want colour or not, then telling me how to restore a saved game and how to begin, but as soon as I do begin, I get nothing but code.
I can see the text the game is supposed to have, hidden amongst it, somewhere, but every keystroke just comes up with more code.
This happens regardless of whether I chose colour or not.

I attempted to run it through DOSBox, mounting the drive and all, but every time I try to open the _bureauc file, it simply says 'Fatal Error: Game file not found'.

I've tried looking through scans of the original instruction manual, but it always refers to another reference sheet which is never scanned. Typical, eh?

I'm not very skilled with any of this. Can anyone help me here?

Reply 1 of 2, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Blaxcell - I don't think you will get much help here. Maybe this thread will explain why:

bluegrazz versus the forum

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 2, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
peterferrie wrote:

The "code" that he sees is because of a missing ANSI driver (nnansi.com).
Some disks did not carry it.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions