Common searches

Fastracker II & Midi

Topic actions

First post, by drastikterror

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
I have an old laptop with windows 98 and Dos installed. I often use Fastracker II for music composing. This software has also a MIDI out option for sequencing external hardware (samplers, synths...) but my laptop doesn't have the midi/joystick port. I have also a Midiman Portman PC/S (a serial-to-midi interface) but it's not recognized by Fastracker II, which probably only accepts the traditional sound blaster isa card with midi/joystick port.
Have you got some ideas ? I would like to use Fastracker II to sequence my hardware sampler...
Someone knows if there's a special driver which can emulate the midi port?
Thank you!

Reply 1 of 30, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With a laptop you probably want a PCMCIA midi interface, the (hard to find) Roland SCP-55 would suit, but I believe Yamaha also did a PCMCIA soundcard with MIDI interface.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 30, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Note that the Yamaha comes with Windows 9x drivers only.
The Roland SCP-55 has an optional breakout box (MCB-3) with MIDI IN/OUT and works as a MPU-401 under DOS and Windows 9x.

Several other cards offer compatible MPU-401 interfaces under DOS, such as the RATOC 5570 and 5571 cards and the IBM 3D Sound Card (the optional Audio Attachment Module has a 15-pin joystick port).
Pcmcia joystick controllers card can also be used as MIDI interfaces in Windows 9x.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 3 of 30, by Spaces

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While I accept FT2 is a godly software, still I would highly recommend OpenMPT which currently is the best tracker known to mankind. It supports MIDI devices.
I'm not a composer, I just love MOD music.

Reply 4 of 30, by drastikterror

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the Roland SCP-55 with the breakout box MCB-3 online...Now i'm waiting for them, I will tell you if it works!
Thank you everybody for the interest!
@Spaces: OpenMPT is very good (it's open source too), but I think the best tracker now is Renoise...It's a very powerfull modern DAW...
But my heart belongs to Fastracker II 😀
Also I love the Amiga 500 OCTAMED...it's used today by Paradox, a UK Jungle/DnB producer and live performer....

Reply 5 of 30, by drastikterror

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to install Card Soft for the roland scp-55 on a DOS sistem but the setup says "cardsoft is not supported on this platform" so i cannot enable the card...do you have suggestions?
Anybody can use fastracker's midi capabilities with the roland card?

Reply 7 of 30, by drastikterror

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

to lolo799:
Testing for PCI BIOS ... PCI Configuration mechanism 1
PCI BIOS detected.
Scanning for PC Card bridges ... no known PC Card bridges found.
Intel 82365SL "B" Step located
[03E0, 00]
[03E0, 40]
Number of Sockets Detected: 2
Thank you for the interest!
Unfortunately I found that CardSoft Dos drivers don't work with my IBM ThinkPad 365XD...
I really don't know what to do...probably the Roland SCP-55 simply doesn't work with Fastracker 2.08!

Reply 13 of 30, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Install Cardsoft wich includes Socket Services and Card Services.
Run scpena.exe from the prompt.
Run it a second time and it should display your SCP-55 I/O address and IRQ.

Reply 15 of 30, by drastikterror

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok.....
The card work in windows 98 and probably in dos.....
but fastracker 2.08 only accepts Gravis Ultrasound or Sound Blaster.....
I think I must give up 🙁

Reply 17 of 30, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is the SCP-55 I/O in Win98?
What is your Sound hardware on your laptop (supported by Win98 and/or with SB emulation)?
Can you run Fasttracker in Win98?

Reply 18 of 30, by drastikterror

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, lolo799!
The SCP-55 works well under win98se to play mp3s etc.
Midi works under other applications....
Also I tried Impulse Tracker (the developers were smarter...) which gives the possibility to choose a generic MPU401 driver.....(launching:"it /s19 /a370).....In my case the Roland has the port 370........
In fact it works flawlessly....
Fastracker can only accept Sound Blaster and the midi port I/O range is limited to 300 or 330 !!!!!!
My internal soundcard is ES1688 Audiodrive... and it works good with fastracker, but only samples, NO NO NO MIDI OUT
Thank you again for the interest