VOGONS

PCMCIA Sound Cards

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

mr_bigmouth_502, in pure DOS, the IBM 3D sound card has the best SB emulation of all the models, followed by the Mediavision card wich des only for real mode games.
Both the Newmedia Wavjammer and I/O Magic Tempo cards have direct support in some Pentium-era games (mostly games that use the Miles Sound System).

If you intend to play DOS games in Win9x, the Eigermedia/Fujitsu/Argosy cards (based on ES1688) offer SB DMA emulation, maybe the cards based on 1688P such as the Ratoc ones do as well.
The Wavjammer (and combo Sound/SCSI) does WSS-SB emulation in Win9x.
The Wami Box does work in Win9x/XP and offer SB/Pro digital audio in games, no OPL2/3 music though.
But you can use GM and up to a 16MB Soundfont, my post about this card is not far from the middle of the first page...

archsan, the SCP-55 only has official drivers for DOS/Win3.x and Win9x.
The third party Linux driver is for the kernel 2.0.21, it works on 2.0.36 according to the readme, old stuff...
It also needs pcmcia-cs-3.0.6.

I thought those USB PCMCIA worked only with memory card adapters and flashram cards...
If you think of using a PCMCIA card on a desktop, you better use an ISA or PCI adapter.
If you were thinking of a recent laptop/netbook, an USB/MIDI adapter or a SB live should be better, no?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 21 of 567, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@lolo799

Thanks, I already have an SC-55MkII for use with MPU-IPC-T in an older desktop or with USB-MIDI adapter for newer systems, but the smaller SCP-55 card intrigued me because of its small size and thus better mobility (along with a tablet, for example). I'm quite sure there are "generic" PCMCIA adapters that should in theory be able to I/O with any PCMCIA device but I see though that the first problem seems to be in getting the OS to recognize and I/O through the adapter (which means possibly having to write a custom driver for it 😒).

As for using a USB-MIDI adapter with the SCP-55, I thought the card will still have to draw power from somewhere won't it?

Reply 22 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found some USB/PCMCIA adapters for storage and 3G cards:
http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/adapter/usb.php

I was thinking of using the USB/MIDI with a SC-55 or similar, wich is what you are already doing.
For something smalller, you could use a Roland PMA-5 or a Yamaha MU5, MU10 or MU15 if you don't need SoundCanvas.

And of the subject of Win NT4.0 support, the .Wavjammer has drivers for it, but according to the readme:
"The .WAVjammer drivers for Windows NT work only with Revision F of the .WAVjammer."
I'll check the revision of the card I have later.
The combo Sound/SCSI card from Newmedia has the same sound hardware has the Wavjammer, I wonder if would work as well with the NT 4.0 drivers...

Reply 23 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a small utility buried in the archived version of Ositech's website:

TELLME.COM 04/15/97 Version 2.25.2. A DOS utility that you can use to determine the PCMCIA or CardBus chipset in your notebook or computer.

Attachments

• Filename
    TELLME.zip
    File size
    6.88 KiB
    Downloads
    608 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 24 of 567, by thermin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I have a question for the person who has(had?) a WaMi box. I recently bought one second hand, but it didn't include a cable. Would you happen to have the pinout for such a cable?

Thanks in advance,

Reply 25 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have the pinout, I can take a look at it later this week.
Have you tried contacting the company that makes the WaMi box?
Maybe they can help you get a spare cable...

Reply 27 of 567, by m4dzr4k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the scan of Panasonic Sound SCSI Card CF-JSC101 and complete set of original drivers in the attachment 😀

th_Panasonic_CF-JSC101_zps90ad935f.jpg

Also photos of Ratoc REX-5572W and Ratoc REX-9871 (AKA REX-5571)
th_RATOCREX55722.jpg th_RATOCREX98714.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    Jsc101al.zip
    File size
    507.29 KiB
    Downloads
    286 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

R.I.P. GravisULTRASOUND.org | Now Playing: Libretto's

Reply 28 of 567, by KJason

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys,

Can anyone tell me if the EMU8000 (TDK, others?) cards are useable in Impulse Tracker with the AWE32/64 driver? (it -s6)
The reason I suspect this *might* work is IT relies on its own routines to detect/run the EMU8000 and seems not to need most DOS drivers. It theoretically might be compatible as long as you can set the card to a suitable base address (620h).

If someone cares to give it a shot I'd be pretty grateful. Thanks!

Reply 29 of 567, by pcm2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm looking for a 16 bit pcmcia sound card that has drivers for Dos/Win 3.11/Win95. In all of those environments I would want sound blaster emulation and both sound effects and music. It's ok if the music can't be soundblaster and has to be one of the other choices.

Reply 30 of 567, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote:
I found some USB/PCMCIA adapters for storage and 3G cards: http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/adapter/usb.php […]
Show full quote

I found some USB/PCMCIA adapters for storage and 3G cards:
http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/adapter/usb.php

I was thinking of using the USB/MIDI with a SC-55 or similar, wich is what you are already doing.
For something smalller, you could use a Roland PMA-5 or a Yamaha MU5, MU10 or MU15 if you don't need SoundCanvas.

Ah, I forgot this thread. That Roland PMA-5, I just checked it has SC-55mkII sound set, looks nifty. I think I've seen at least one for sale a while ago. Thanks for that (if you're still following this thread)!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 31 of 567, by pcm2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got in a Media Magic 16 bit audio board pcmcia from ebay. Super easy setup and adlib music works flawlessly when tested with doom, duke3d and wolf3d. Doesn't appear to support soundblaster unless I'm missing something. The breakout box has a line in, out, mic in and a midi in. Have to jiggle the line out a little bit to get it to output stereo, but what can you expect from the mid 90s. I have the software and manuals if anyone needs to know anything about it.

Here is a picture to go with all the other great ones on this thread:

4sg1eg.jpg

Reply 32 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice find, the floppy is labeled Voyetra Technologies, is the card a clone of the Turtle Beach?
Could you dump and upload the floppy disk?
And post the specs from the manual?

Reply 33 of 567, by pcm2a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think it's a clone of the Turtle Beach because I read it has no dos support at all, where this card seems to work fine for adlib music in dos. I assume that in windows it wouldn't magically gain SB support but I have no tried. I've sent you the contents of the disks with some more information. There were no specs that I could find in the manuals. One is an installation manual, one voyetra software manual and one that appears to be mostly creative windows media applications.

Reply 35 of 567, by andyc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! Does anyone know where i can get a PCMCIA sound card that works under DOS? I fixed an old Compaq 486 laptop (awesome DX/2-50Mhz, 12MB RAM beast) and i want to use it to play old DOS games. The IBM one from lolo799's awesome collection looks like it does what i need. I think i only need SB emulation to be able to run most games. At least that's what i remember... Before i upgraded to a true SB16, i had a Yamaha card that did SB Pro emulation under DOS and most games ran fine.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Regards,
Andy.

Reply 36 of 567, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't really think there are PCMCIA cards with proper SB emulation, since it requires DMA transfers, while PCMCIA standard doesn't support DMA.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 37 of 567, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Andy, finding the IBM 3D card is the tricky part, good luck!
Auctions websites or classified ads are the way to go I'm afraid, that and some luck!

Some cards have SB emulation under DOS but only for real mode DOS games.
Other cards do have SB DMA emulation under Windows 9x, but it won't help you much I think with the specs of your laptop.
All of them (well except for the MIDI only cards) usually have good Adlib FM music, if you can live with only this.
There are some parallel port devices with SB emulation, but for only real mode games as well iirc.
What's your laptop model?

Bristlehog, the IBM 3D one does just that, SB DMA emulation under DOS for protected mode games, and it's the only card that does.