VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, my setup is a IBM/Sega Teradrive PC (AT 286 10Mhz) 2.5MB Max ram, and a 20MB HD. Running the Japanese IBM DOS J4.0V Rev 4.06 translated into Engrish.

I installed a SB PRO2 CT1600 sound card with the drivers and updates, but I'm having a problem with the DOS game Golden Axe. For some reason the sound effects aren't there most of the time, the music part is just fine. The funny thing is that if I load another game first such as Outrun, then the sound effects some how mysteriously show up.

My AUTOEXEC.BAT shows:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
@echo off
set sys=C:
set comspec=C:\dos\command.com
SET SOUND=C:\SBPRO
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SBPRO\SBP-SET /M:12 /VOC:12 /line:12 /CD:12 /FM:12
prompt $p$g
path C:\dos;
ver

and CONFIG.SYS :
DEVICE=C:\SBPRO\DRV\CTSBPRO.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1
DEVICE=C:\SBPRO\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
FILES=40
buffers=20
REM ** files=20
shell=C:\dos\command.com /p /e:512
device=C:\dos\ansi.sys /x

The card jumpers match these settings. What could be causing the problem?. I had a SB16 in there before, and I was experiencing the same exact issue with it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

479a345a-3a6c-41d3-ad51-83e6f4641c2f_zps44dc6df2.jpg

Last edited by Megadisk on 2013-12-23, 20:43. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 29, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always thought that Golden Axe only supported PC speaker sound effects, am I not right?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 6 of 29, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's your DOS memory situation like? I'm under the impression that those 2 .SYS drivers are not required in your config.sys file (for games at least), and they take up a lot of memory. Perhaps removing them will up your available memory and help with the problem you're having.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7 of 29, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok fellows, thanks for the replies.

The Teradrive printer parallel ports uses the IRQ 7 , there is no way to change that as far as Know (There is very little to no info about the Teradrive settings, I can't even get into the bios). Therefore my CT1600 is set to IRQ 5.

I went ahead and removed all of the SBPRO2 drivers, which it seemed to me they were doing more bad than good.

And I just added the SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4 line to the AUTOEXEC.BAT

All of the games I've tested so far for the most part work ok (Wolf3D,Keen,Rastan,stunt car racer,etc) no problem. Of course those that are speaker only, the audio comes out of the speaker just fine, with the exception of DOS "Golden Axe".

My main problem with Golden Axe is that in a cold DOS boot (after powering on the Teradrive for the first time or after a shut down) I can only heard the game music, the speaker digitized sound effects aren't there. But if in a cold boot, I first choose a game like "Commander KEEN" exit it, and then go to the "Golden Axe" directory, then all sounds are ok within the GOLD game. 😕

What's the deal?.

Last edited by Megadisk on 2013-12-21, 03:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 29, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think you are likely to encounter problems with the IRQ conflict with the printer port, unless you actually use the port. However, as you seem to have a solution to the problem, you are ahead of the game (literally). Commander Keen must do something, probably with the Interrupt Controller, that lets Golden Axe work.

Of course an alternative solution exists, you could plug in a Mega Drive cartridge of Golden Axe and play the game that way. 😀

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 10 of 29, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried the game on a 386 with Sound Blaster Pro 2.

I get FM music through the Sound Blaster and sound effects through the PC speaker? Is this what is should do or not? Or is the problem that the sound effects should come from the Sound Blaster?

The SB Pro is jumpered to 220/7/1 and on the storage controller I have disabled LPT1 and COM2. Using a mouse on COM1.

I tried IRQ 5 as well and PC speaker sound effects also worked perfectly. Both times I did a fresh cold boot and didn't run any game beforehand.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 29, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I get FM music through the Sound Blaster and sound effects through the PC speaker?

That's what I get if any OPL-compatible soundcard is installed.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 13 of 29, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Megadisk wrote:

That's the problem, I'm not getting the sound effects through the PC speaker in a cold boot, just the music on the SBPRO2 😒 .

Ah ok I see...

Well IRQ 5 or 7 made no difference to my machine. So not sure if that could be the issue. However I have no parallel ports enabled in my 386 (disabled through jumpers).

Is there anything hooked up to your printer port? Do you have an OPL only card, like an Adlib or clone?

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 29, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Is there anything hooked up to your printer port? Do you have an OPL only card, like an Adlib or clone?

I got nothing on the printer port, can't find any info on how to disable it either. And unfortunately, I don't have any other cards available at the moment.

I did tested a SB16 CT1730 with it, and it was exhibiting the same exact problem with Golden Axe.

I'm also using an older PC Gamepad! through the SBPRO2 MIDI/gameport for games, I don't know if that could be an issue. Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221172619442?ssPageNa … 984.m1423.l2649

Reply 16 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe the issue is the terradrive itself, maybe it has a hardware difference or something when it comes to speaker and only works "compatible" when something else properly initializes it (outrun for example)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17 of 29, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I recalled a built-in hidden setup menu within the Teradrive that can be accessed while Powering on the PC and pressing F1 at the same time. There are a couple of choices there (well only 3 options really 😊 )," Keyboard type","Power On Beep" and "Window Address".
My Power On Beep option was disabled, so I just enable it and now the cold DOS boot Golden Axe missing sound effects problem seems to be gone. Weird. So I guess that did it.

Thoughts?

Reply 18 of 29, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That IS weird, but glad it's sorted 😀

My YouTube channel