VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 43, by Gramcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe it is a subjective thing. I wish there was a display FPS option, it is hard for me to tell. My definition of smooth is basically no stuttered speech or flight, you know, basically fluid and how I remember it was from playing back in the day. But then again, I never had 3d acceleration growing up, so what looks right to me might not be the same for everyone.

The Wing Commander community did release a patch last year after the GOG version came out which addressed some issues, including speed. http://www.wcnews.com/news/update/12379. Maybe this will help. I haven't tried it yet; I prefer the original experience. 😀

Reply 41 of 43, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just stated this third party patch does NOT work on my system. I just get flashed with a black screen and nothing, not even a eventlog error...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 42 of 43, by Rigs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElectricMonk wrote:

Did a demo of it ever come out (like with PC Gamer)? I know I only owned the first one, but i wanna say I played a few minutes of the sequel on my old pentium overdrive. Between that, and not being able play to Curse of Monkey Island, I knew I had to upgrade asap. The demo was mostly cinematics, though.

A new user passing through, I wanted to say that there was indeed a demo of Privateer2 that came out on both the PC Gamer cds and a demo cd from Computer Gaming World. I have both. Since demo cds were pretty popular at the time, I would imagine that it was featured on others, though these are the two I'm sure about. If I can find the specific cd in my collection, I'll see if I can upload the demo somewhere. I don't know how big it is. I've played the GOG version on my P4/2.66 w/4gb of RAM and an ATI Radeon X850 Pro (circa 2006) backup system and on my Core i5-750/2.8 (slightly oc'd to 3.0ghz) w/6gb of RAM, AMD Radeon HD7850 (circa 2011) primary system and it plays on both without trouble at all...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

Reply 43 of 43, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No need to go find your CDs, it's available on archive.org

https://archive.org/details/P2DEMO_201407

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes