VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by Gramcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe it is a subjective thing. I wish there was a display FPS option, it is hard for me to tell. My definition of smooth is basically no stuttered speech or flight, you know, basically fluid and how I remember it was from playing back in the day. But then again, I never had 3d acceleration growing up, so what looks right to me might not be the same for everyone.

The Wing Commander community did release a patch last year after the GOG version came out which addressed some issues, including speed. http://www.wcnews.com/news/update/12379. Maybe this will help. I haven't tried it yet; I prefer the original experience. 😀

Reply 41 of 43, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just stated this third party patch does NOT work on my system. I just get flashed with a black screen and nothing, not even a eventlog error...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 42 of 43, by Rigs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElectricMonk wrote:

Did a demo of it ever come out (like with PC Gamer)? I know I only owned the first one, but i wanna say I played a few minutes of the sequel on my old pentium overdrive. Between that, and not being able play to Curse of Monkey Island, I knew I had to upgrade asap. The demo was mostly cinematics, though.

A new user passing through, I wanted to say that there was indeed a demo of Privateer2 that came out on both the PC Gamer cds and a demo cd from Computer Gaming World. I have both. Since demo cds were pretty popular at the time, I would imagine that it was featured on others, though these are the two I'm sure about. If I can find the specific cd in my collection, I'll see if I can upload the demo somewhere. I don't know how big it is. I've played the GOG version on my P4/2.66 w/4gb of RAM and an ATI Radeon X850 Pro (circa 2006) backup system and on my Core i5-750/2.8 (slightly oc'd to 3.0ghz) w/6gb of RAM, AMD Radeon HD7850 (circa 2011) primary system and it plays on both without trouble at all...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'