VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Divarin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, can anyone recommend a terminal emulation software for dos that is small enough to fit on, and run off of a 360kb floppy disk? I'm looking for something that doesn't need to be installed onto a HDD so that it can be used in a PC that doesn't have one. If it supported ANSI that would be a nice plus.

Reply 1 of 10, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting question!
If you're using a 360kb floppy, i suppose the computer(s) you want to use it are on the PC/XT/286 specs side.
Are you looking for only a serial terminal, or something involving network support?
Try an old version of Telix, ProComm or the Comm part of Lotus Symphony.

If you don't go the DOS route, a minix 1.5 or an ELKS boot floppy probably have what is needed for your intended use.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 2 of 10, by Divarin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am looking for a dos program. I found an old version of procomm on winworld but it looks like it's two 360k floppies so I'm assuming it needs to be installed to a HDD. The only version of Telix available on that site is for windows.
However there are a few others on that site so I'll go through them.
Yeah I'm looking for just a serial terminal

Reply 3 of 10, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can install ProComm in dosbox and copy the needed files on a floppy afterwards.

Telix 3.22 is available at ftp://capitolcityonline.net/simtel.199505-1/T … tml%3Fsort=name

Reply 4 of 10, by Divarin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, Telix worked fine I just got tlx322_1.zip, unzipped it, copied just the telix.exe and ansi.key and ran it. It created a few configuration files but even with those the whole thing fit on a non-bootable 360kb flopy with about 80kb to spare.

Reply 5 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bananacom, "Desktop" program of PC-Tools 7.x (has colour/ANSI), Telemate, Lync, ProComm..
http://files.mpoli.fi/software/DOS/COMMUNIC/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 10, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great suggestions!
There's also Kermite.exe, a smaller version part of the Kermit 3.14 release, 160kb, while the full kermit.exe os 228kb.
Bananacom is also freeware, a bit larger than kermite.exe at 164kb.
Lync is a really small shareware, 44kb with the config file.
On the commercial side there's comm.exe from Datalight Rom-DOS, 56kb in size.
You could fit any one of them on a 360kb boot floppy.

Too bad there's no dump of the HP 200LX Lotus Communication software, cause it's really nice as well.

Reply 8 of 10, by babtras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I literally did exactly this last night on an 8088. I used Procomm version 1.1 from winworldpc.com. It works with 128kB RAM and fits easily on a 360kB diskette (I have it and LapLink 2 and a few other things on the same bootable floppy).

Reply 9 of 10, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The included terminal program on the HP 200LX:

SCRN0001.png
Filename
SCRN0001.png
File size
1.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
SCRN0006.png
Filename
SCRN0006.png
File size
3.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 10, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
babtras wrote on 2020-06-17, 20:06:

I literally did exactly this last night on an 8088. I used Procomm version 1.1 from winworldpc.com. It works with 128kB RAM and fits easily on a 360kB diskette (I have it and LapLink 2 and a few other things on the same bootable floppy).

Yeah it's pretty cool when an ancient system can take control of a far newer one if set up right.

There's a glitch in the matrix.