VOGONS

First post, by Divarin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, can anyone recommend a terminal emulation software for dos that is small enough to fit on, and run off of a 360kb floppy disk? I'm looking for something that doesn't need to be installed onto a HDD so that it can be used in a PC that doesn't have one. If it supported ANSI that would be a nice plus.

Reply 1 of 10, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting question!
If you're using a 360kb floppy, i suppose the computer(s) you want to use it are on the PC/XT/286 specs side.
Are you looking for only a serial terminal, or something involving network support?
Try an old version of Telix, ProComm or the Comm part of Lotus Symphony.

If you don't go the DOS route, a minix 1.5 or an ELKS boot floppy probably have what is needed for your intended use.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 2 of 10, by Divarin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am looking for a dos program. I found an old version of procomm on winworld but it looks like it's two 360k floppies so I'm assuming it needs to be installed to a HDD. The only version of Telix available on that site is for windows.
However there are a few others on that site so I'll go through them.
Yeah I'm looking for just a serial terminal

Reply 3 of 10, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can install ProComm in dosbox and copy the needed files on a floppy afterwards.

Telix 3.22 is available at ftp://capitolcityonline.net/simtel.199505-1/T … tml%3Fsort=name

Reply 4 of 10, by Divarin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, Telix worked fine I just got tlx322_1.zip, unzipped it, copied just the telix.exe and ansi.key and ran it. It created a few configuration files but even with those the whole thing fit on a non-bootable 360kb flopy with about 80kb to spare.

Reply 5 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bananacom, "Desktop" program of PC-Tools 7.x (has colour/ANSI), Telemate, Lync, ProComm..
http://files.mpoli.fi/software/DOS/COMMUNIC/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 10, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great suggestions!
There's also Kermite.exe, a smaller version part of the Kermit 3.14 release, 160kb, while the full kermit.exe os 228kb.
Bananacom is also freeware, a bit larger than kermite.exe at 164kb.
Lync is a really small shareware, 44kb with the config file.
On the commercial side there's comm.exe from Datalight Rom-DOS, 56kb in size.
You could fit any one of them on a 360kb boot floppy.

Too bad there's no dump of the HP 200LX Lotus Communication software, cause it's really nice as well.

Reply 7 of 10, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd go with banana.com as well. Works well on my Zenith XT laptop logging into my linux box and running ircII and the like.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 8 of 10, by babtras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I literally did exactly this last night on an 8088. I used Procomm version 1.1 from winworldpc.com. It works with 128kB RAM and fits easily on a 360kB diskette (I have it and LapLink 2 and a few other things on the same bootable floppy).

Reply 9 of 10, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The included terminal program on the HP 200LX:

SCRN0001.png
Filename
SCRN0001.png
File size
1.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
SCRN0006.png
Filename
SCRN0006.png
File size
3.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 10, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
babtras wrote on 2020-06-17, 20:06:

I literally did exactly this last night on an 8088. I used Procomm version 1.1 from winworldpc.com. It works with 128kB RAM and fits easily on a 360kB diskette (I have it and LapLink 2 and a few other things on the same bootable floppy).

Yeah it's pretty cool when an ancient system can take control of a far newer one if set up right.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉