VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Katz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

::Greets::

I have been trying and trying to get Magic Carpet 2 to work on my laptop for some number of days now, its a great game and deserves the attention. my laptop emulates the video perfectly, however I can not get any sound or music to play.

Attempted fixes: toyed with VDMS(latest ver), every time I only get an error message before the game starts: "Invalid thread at memory address xxxx" The thread number changes at random. I have reinstalled, rebooted, the works. I read the posts in this forum about configuring VDMS, and assured that my settings were correct.

Went into my Autoexec.NT file and

Also tried a program, SoundFX2000. looks great, nice GUI... but whenever I set things up properly, i get an error before the game loads: DirectSound failed to initialize. I assured that the latest DirectX was installed, using DXDIAG, even tried lowering the sound accelleration, to Emulation Only. no dice =\

Also tried DOSbox (latest ver), sound worked great, however game was much too slow to be playable. I increased the cycles and the frameskip (F12 and F8) ,found the optimal balance, and yet slowdown was still too much.

autoexec.nt
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

SET SOUND=c:\vdms
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330
SET VDMSoundPath=c:\vdms

DOS=high, umb
DEVICE=%systemroot%\system32\himem.sys /INT15=1024
FILES=60

Config:
WindowsXP
AMD64 2600+
1024mb ram
ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 128mb (omega drivers)
RealTek AC'97 sound (i think this is the problem) w/latest drivers
latest VIA 4in1 drivers

Please help!
Thanks much =]
-Katz

Reply 1 of 30, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not familiar with that error message. Have you tried using XP's sound emulation? Just execute MC2 without loading VDMSound and it should load's XP's sound emulation.

Which ver of VDMSound exactly?

DosBox
On that machine even playing MC2 in 320x would be not a pleasent experience although *probably* somewhat playable. It should be fine under NTVDM (XP) tho.

Reply 2 of 30, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WTF is that?! "DEVICE=%systemroot%\system32\himem.sys /INT15=10"

Weird. REM that line out.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 30, by Katz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

VDMS ver 2.0.4
i rem'd out the line, i found it on one of the forums here haha

when i use XP's sound emulation, (just running the game) i get a quick blue message on top of the bullfrog logo saying "not enough memory for sounds".

I have gotten just Sfx to work once, however i have not been able to recreate it =\

Reply 5 of 30, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Get VDMSound 2.1 here: VDMSound 2.1.0 PUBLIC BETA

but if VDMSound is not working for you now then I doubt 2.1 will fix it.

"not enough memory for sounds"

Odd since MC2 use's DOS4GW so EMS/XMS shouldn't be an issue.........I'll test my copy out again tonight.

Reply 6 of 30, by Katz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot =P so prompt to get back to me too, much obliged.

youre the guy whose given me all the info and ideas to troubleshoot this thusfar, all your posts fit together for me perfectly.. i appreciate the personal help =]

long live dos indeed

Reply 7 of 30, by Katz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i get an error while installing: Error opening file for writing: "\\iospecial.ini"
hit abore to abort ... yatta yatta yatta, if i skip the file it says 'program is for NT\2000\XP only

but im running xp =\

Reply 12 of 30, by Katz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

could the problem be with my autoexec.nt file? i dont know of anything else i could change. I have tried running the .exe for the game in all sorts of compatibility modes, and have even messed with the memory options (even tho as you stated, it uses DOS4GW).

Reply 13 of 30, by Katz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

man this is so frustrating...

I made sure I had the most recent audio drivers, for the RealTek AC97 onboard sound. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, nada.. not even a measley bleep =\

no ideas anyone?
desperate... =/
-Katz

Reply 14 of 30, by Katz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE: when I select General MIDI (Roland MPU-401 Interface) in the setsound utility for the music driver, and run the program with VDMS, I get some crummy MIDI music... but its music none the less. I just cant get the digital audio to work, no matter which sound card i choose during the setsound utility.

ideas?

Reply 16 of 30, by Katz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes, i have gotten the old mechwarrior series to work, including ghost bear and mercenaries. I was researching my RealTek sound card here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/faqs/faqs1-1-1.aspx … aqcatid=2002091
and noticed this entry to a FAQ:

"There are two major components for AC'97 sound cards: AC'97 CODEC and audio controller. Realtek is an AC'97 CODEC manufacturer. The most important part of an AC'97 sound card is the audio controller in the chipsets, provided by the chipset vendor. The integrated sound chip doesn't usually have SB compatible hardware to support DOS games directly. We implement an SB emulation in the DOS prompt of Windows OSes instead. If you want to run a DOS game, please run it in the DOS Box of Windows. It can support almost 90% of popular DOS games. Please type 'set' in DOS box to check what resources you should set for your DOS programs. The resources will be shown as 'BLASTER=Axxx Dx Ix Pxxx'. The compatibility between a DOS driver and a SB emulation in DOS Box of Windows is almost the same because of lack of hardware support. Sorry for the inconvenience caused."

I also noticed this thread:
Magic Carpet 2

He was having the same 'not enough memory error'

I also got DosBox to work smoothly enough to be playable, but it quits out at random, and closes dosbox.

does this basically say im screwed?

Reply 17 of 30, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which version of DosBox are you using? Try a CVS version:
http://ykhwong.x-y.net/page.htm

Reply 18 of 30, by Katz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive been using .63, I will try the version you provided.

BTW.. after I emailed RealTek with my question regarding SB16 emulation, theyre response was "Thankyou for the recommendation" and a canned email response, answering no questions =\

Reply 19 of 30, by Katz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

very strange indeed, after much work on this issue, i still need help getting it resolved.

Game: Magic Carpet 2

Windows XP
1gig ram
amd64 3400+
(just purchased) Audigy 2

Im trying to get VDMSound 2.1 to work, I disabled Adlib emulation after repeated errors regarding it failing to start, and it loads with the game fine. however, i still get this little blue message above the loading Bullfrog logo that says "Error: Not enough memory for sounds"

I have tried playing with the environmental memory and other memory allocations in the custom settings, however i cant get any arrangement of options to work.

DOSBox .63 seems to run it pretty well, not very smoothe tho, and my video emulation is fine.. i just want the sound to work. Any ideas?