VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mario1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently dug out this old game, trying to bring back parts of my childhood. Although it took some time, I eventually for it to work, but I've noticed a small problem: There's no music.

I have perfect mouse control, and all other audio works fine. Unfortunately, the music was my favorite part of the game as a kid.

I am running on a Compaq Presario with Windows ME on it. My settings for the game are "100% Sound Blaster Compatable" for the sounds and I've tried every setting for the music. Some settings make it crash, but those are ones that I know wouldn't work anyways. If it's any help, I set the music for the internal speaker and still got no result (No crash, either).

I will be happy to provide more information if needed.

Reply 1 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My guess is that your sound hardware doesn't provide any emulation of Adlib or General MIDI for DOS games. There's an ancient, experimental version of VDMSound around somewhere for Win9x that might help. Another option if you have ISA slots would be to buy an old Sound Blaster for around $10-20 and put it in that computer. An early PCI SoundBlastermight work but is more iffy.

You could also try finding DOS drivers for the sound hardware in your system and then boot to pure DOS (yes, it can still be done in WinME - it's just trickier) and play that way.

Don't know why PC speaker doesn't work, unless you don't have one of those or maybe WinME is interfering somehow.

Reply 2 of 7, by Mario1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another option if you have ISA slots would be to buy an old Sound Blaster for around $10-20 and put it in that computer. An early PCI SoundBlastermight work but is more iffy.

I have an old Windows 3.1 sound card from the computer I played it on as a kid, think that would work?

Reply 3 of 7, by Mario1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I tried it, but the card won't fit in my computer. I probably should have seen that coming. (Why must people be obsessed with shrinking things?) While I was in there, I took a look around, and didn't see an internal speaker. I also used the oppurtunity to use pressurized air to blow out the dust, and as a result it now looks like it snowed on my desk.

Back to the point, where can I find VDMsound?

Reply 5 of 7, by Mario1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I installed DOSbox earlier today, and I got the music working. But now the game's really choppy. Seeing as the DOSbox readme tells you next to nothing, I need help from an actual person.

Reply 6 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't mention DOSBox because your system is probably too slow if it's old enough to be running WinME instead of WinXP... There's a "speeding up DOSBox" sticky thread in one of the DOSBox forums if you want to look at that though.