VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hereticnext

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to play with heretic on a portable device with few buttons and that currently does not have ports of the game, it would be possible that the vanilla heretic executable had been assigned to the letter j previous weapon and the letter k next weapon, I appreciate any type of help

Reply 1 of 26, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Use Russian Doom source port for DOS.

https://github.com/Russian-Doom/russian-doom-dos

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 3 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Its been a long time since I looked at the heretic setup program and I can't look right now but I thought you could rebind keys in it. If not then check the cfg file. If not then the heretic source is out there and compilable.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 26, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2024-02-08, 16:20:

Its been a long time since I look at the heretic setup program and I can't look right now but I thought you could rebind keys in it.

You can, but vanilla Heretic (or Doom) simply have no keys for next/previous weapon. Only selecting specific weapon with arrow keys.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can try heretic-plus and see if that works for you. It's not vanilla but it's still DOS.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/49486-heretic-goodies/

Reply 7 of 26, by hereticnext

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2024-02-08, 17:09:

You can try heretic-plus and see if that works for you. It's not vanilla but it's still DOS.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/49486-heretic-goodies/

thanks for all the answers! I looked for information on that version of heretic, but I couldn't find anywhere that has keys for previous and next, could you tell me if so, what keys would they be?

Reply 8 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I provided the above to show that something similar was done with heretic in DOS so it would be possible to do the same or similar to fit your situation or a TSR outside the game or in whatever program you are using to run the game.
I don't have any interest in crippling gameplay on a handheld. 😉
You'd be better off asking on gaming specific forums like doomworld or similar.

Reply 10 of 26, by deltapi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the original dos version itself doesn't seem to have any weapon switching other than the number keys, even if using a joystick or mouse. I've looked into the setup program and the heretic.cfg file and there simply isn't any configuration for weapon selection. Items? Yes. Weapons? No.
Dosbox will let you map multiple keys to a single one, but it won't cycle them, just "press" them all at once.
The functionality you're looking for would need to come either from a source port of heretic, or a custom build of Dosbox that lets you run a keyboard macro - one that cycles a keypress everytime you press it, so the first time you press it, you get a "1", then a "2" and so on, until it goes back to 1.
Good luck!

Reply 11 of 26, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a side note: from what I remember MagicDOSBox on Android had a similar macro feature. I guess that's not that useful for the OP?

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)

Reply 13 of 26, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/148538 … -with-cooldown/

That might help?

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 15 of 26, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apologies again, this is not a direct solution to your problem, but since NOVERT is a thing, I was curious if a key mapper TSR with simple logic could be created and loaded in DOSBox before the game starts. It would simply map, say n to one of the numerics based on an incrementing counter value.

No idea if this works with Doom and Heretic way of handling keyboard input, but I got so curious I searched up this NASM-compatible barebone TSR, its author is using for his DOS utilities. Will give it a try and see if I can marry it with a keyboard remapping tutorials I can find, and revert (if this ever materializes that is 😉 ).

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)

Reply 16 of 26, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sadly, the TSR solution is easier said then done. The tool would need to manage protected mode ISR-s from within the same DPMI host the game uses, and reassign its own ISR back after the game starts to run, so the above technique would not work.

I experimented with the suggested direction, though, but results were mixed. I ended up with a tool that works with real mode games, e.g. can change weapons in Wolf 3D, but... only in DOSBox-X, so application with handhelds is somewhat limited 😉

EDIT: ... but then I actually went ahead and patched the executable. I was curious how patching a Doom engine game would work out, and indeed work out it did. Sadly only had time to test with DOSBox and did not play through any of the maps.

Now, I have no idea how playable Heretic would be on a device with 4 action buttons, and even if every map could be completed, but I was thinking a similar patch for Ultimate Doom/Doom II/Final Doom could probably be useful for someone, as the four buttons could be Fire, Use, Strafe and Next weapon.

EDIT2: ... and I made those Doom patches as well

EDITX: removing the attachments; see below post for up to date versions attached.

Last edited by ludicrous_peridot on 2024-02-27, 21:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 26, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You put the patch into your game directory on a DOS machine (e.g. in DOSBox), make a backup of your game, then run the patch.
PatchMaker thread is actually one of the pinned topics in a neighbor subforum.

I decided to be not lazy and produced a Doom II patch that honors what weapons the player carries and does not take away the move forward mouse button.
Still takes away the ability of direct weapon selection.

EDIT: Have produced a patch for Doom1 which has even fewer limitations and only affects 3 buttons:
[1] selects the fist
[2] cycles down
[8] cycles up
All other numeric keys work as usual.

EDIT2: There's now a patch for Heretic which is similar the Doom 1 patch described above.
But also, I have made an alternative version which patches flight controls to avoid having to assign separate buttons to it.
[Use] + [Move forward] elevates the player
[Use] + [Move backwards] lowers
[Fly center] - lands the player as usual, but normal [Fly up] and [Fly down] have been taken away here.

... and the Final Doom patch that mimics Doom II patch described above, i.e. the one where actual player weapons are checked.

EDITX: For the sake of completeness, the TSR I mentioned above is available here.

EDITY: Previously shared Doom patches sadly had a bug. I have removed old downloads and uploaded new versions. This version also removes the Enter to refresh the pickup log message, so that Enter could be used comfortably for Use action.

Attachments

• Filename
    DOOMNEXT.zip
    File size
    4.72 KiB
    Downloads
    8 downloads
    File comment
    PatchMaker patches for popular Doom versions
    File license
    GPL-2.0-or-later
  • Filename
    HTICNXT3.zip
    File size
    3.01 KiB
    Downloads
    13 downloads
    File comment
    PatchMaker patches for Heretic 1.3
    File license
    GPL-2.0-or-later
Last edited by ludicrous_peridot on 2024-03-04, 21:56. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 19 of 26, by hereticnext

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good progress! I don't quite understand the flying thing, does it mean that flying down and up doesn't need remapping but stopping flying if we have to look for a button on the portable console for the home key?