VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clintonoddfellow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good Afternoon!

Bit of a weird question -- posting in this forum as it seems to be the closest fit, since its kind of old DOS software on newer hardware. If I'm in the wrong place, feel free to swat me on the hand and I'll move to a better location 😀

I'm doing some CD preservation, and I have a set of 4 CDs which would've come with a Magnavox HeadStart CD. I'd like to get these properly imaged and up on the archive.

The copyright date on these is 1989, and things were kind of the wild west before the ubiquity of ISO9660. I suspect these discs are a form of High Sierra or some other weird format in use at the time.

Attempting to rip them to ISO with ImgBurn has odd results. Imaging seems to succeed -- 3 discs can rip as ISO one as bin/cue (Not sure why, it doesn't appear to have CD Audio but I could be wrong) but attempting to mount them results in errors.

I'd like to attempt something approaching a bit copy for archival purposes. I haven't yet tried CloneCD, but am wondering if that's a better option overall.

Thanks in advance!

-C

Reply 2 of 9, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

.iso contains nothing but the bare minimum necessary for a (well specced) ISO9660 disc. It doesn't even do audio, ffs. Bad choice for your oddball formats.

That DiscImageCreator looks good, or you could use something else that tries to preserve as much info as possible, e.g. Alcohol, CloneCD, BlindWrite, ... . You can always convert to a "lesser" format later.

Reply 3 of 9, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What are you mounting them with?
Some programs don't work properly with bin/cue

Try Daemontools if you're not already.

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 4 of 9, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elszgensa wrote on 2024-03-19, 23:56:

That DiscImageCreator looks good, or you could use something else that tries to preserve as much info as possible

nothing else tries to "preserve as much info as possible" than DIC - it's now the de-facto gold-standard for preservation, but depending on what you want to preserve you might need some of the special Optical Drives, for example Plextor that supports "D8" command or Asus/LG that supports "BE" command, etc.

Reply 6 of 9, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2024-03-20, 01:27:

yeah, maybe, but how good it is, because I see in their history of updates that for example:

"Oct 16, 2023
Add raw DVD reading with HL-DT-ST command "

and that same thing, i.t. RawDVDRead with those drives, I used 4 years ago with DIC, i.e. in that particular feature they were years behind DIC.

So, that project "Aaru" might be good, but it lacks proper documentation what is supported what is not, etc - for example do they support "BE" command with Asus/LG, etc, etc. I cannot find any information - I guess I need to read their Source Code to get an answer.

[EDIT] also, if Auro is that good and reliable, why huge projects like http://redump.org/ are not using it and they use DIC instead?

Reply 9 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How about Nero Burning Rom? It has a virtual recorder that can be used to "burn" an original CD/DVD into.
After finishing the burning process, the result will be an NRG file that contains mixed-mode information.
I'm not sure if it's good enough for High Sierra and other old formats, but Mac/Windows/CD-Audio hybrids can be stored this way.
The NRG format is proprietary, yes, but many programs can read it. Virtual CD-ROMs like MagicISO and Daemon Tools included.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//