VOGONS

Reply 21 of 28, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2022-11-02, 20:13:

You can try loading it in Windows Sandbox, Hyper-V, vmware or virtualbox.

It crashed the same way in Sandbox as well.

Reply 22 of 28, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can check Event Viewer and see if any events are logged at the same time and see if they're related. Or try to use Process Explorer / Process Monitor to find out what the last thing it did before it crashed was.

Reply 23 of 28, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2022-11-03, 10:45:

You can check Event Viewer and see if any events are logged at the same time and see if they're related. Or try to use Process Explorer / Process Monitor to find out what the last thing it did before it crashed was.

I used Process Monitor and saw some SMT related stuff going on before the exe crashed, so I thought that disabling all the cores in the BIOS minus four (making it a 4 core/8 thread system) would help. Did that and it started instantly, woot! So it seems like it WAS related to the CPU, but simply parking the e-cores through the game compatibility option in the BIOS wasn't enough.

Hell, even tested it by enabling all the P-Cores and only 8 E-Cores to emulate a 12900k, and it still worked! So, I was right about it being CPU related!

Reply 25 of 28, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2022-11-03, 22:45:

Hmm try leaving all cores enabled and try start /affinity 1 moha_setup.exe

That works as well.
It seems this problem starts at exactly 32 cores. Using different CPU affinity masks which result in 31 cores (such as having it launch just with all cores minus core 0/1/2/3/etc) lets it launch no problem.

Reply 26 of 28, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*24 cores. Your CPU has 24 cores and 32 threads.

My CPU (AMD 5950x) has 32 threads too, but does not have this issue. Seems Intel really likes introducing weird compatibility issues lately? At least the fix is easy and not too harmful in terms of performance.

I wonder how older Intel 32 thread CPUs fare. I'm guessing better.

Reply 27 of 28, by Cloister56

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MrEWhite wrote on 2022-11-04, 00:39:
DosFreak wrote on 2022-11-03, 22:45:

Hmm try leaving all cores enabled and try start /affinity 1 moha_setup.exe

That works as well.
It seems this problem starts at exactly 32 cores. Using different CPU affinity masks which result in 31 cores (such as having it launch just with all cores minus core 0/1/2/3/etc) lets it launch no problem.

I know this thread is old but I thought replying to it was my best shot at getting a reply. I am having exactly the same issue as you were. I can use a shortcut to set the processor affinity and get MOHA_setup to launch but using the same method on the MOHA.exe just makes the EA app act like it is launching the game and then nothing. I wondered how you got past this step or do I just need to get a non ea app version?
This seems to be an issue with several old games with the i9-13900K and 32 cores.

Any help greatly appreciated.

RTX 4090 (drivers ver 555.99
i9-3900K 3.00
64Gb Ram
Windows 11 23H2

Reply 28 of 28, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Ms compatibility toolkit might have a flag that limits max reported cpus

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win … y-toolkit--act-

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)
Script to backup Win9x\ME drivers from a working install