MiG Alley

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 114, by The_chugster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-01-26, 04:59:
The_chugster wrote on 2022-01-25, 17:14:

seems to be PC compatability at its worse...kinda like how it was back in the 90s

I don't accept this completely. I would say we have evolved to become lazier and thus we can't figure out solutions ourselves.

If you want to receive help, you'll need to let us know what the problem is, where it occurs...Doe tame install, does it crash, where it crashes,... you could answer these step-by-step

TBH ive tried different ways, PCEM, straight install and something always goes wrong, what would be nice is a list of all the steps and tricks for WIndows 10 in one place or a zip with an installed game that can just be copied to someones PC...like how to install the intel.tff file, which i did but the install locks at 1%

Reply 102 of 114, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

like how to install the intel.tff file, which i did but the install locks at 1%

I haven't been able to emulate this problem thus far. However my copy had issue installing and I did... (see below reply)

JohnnyR wrote on 2022-02-01, 22:01:

are you using any windows-compatibility modes or other settings?

sometimes it's crashing under Win10/64bit...

Yes I am using Windows 98 compatibility mode or else the setup crashes mid way.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 104 of 114, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
guys please i need the "experimental" ddraw.dll […]
Show full quote

guys please i need the "experimental" ddraw.dll

the old link isnt available anymore and with the stable release from narzoul, Mig Alley isn't working...
dead link: "https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releas … ag/experimental"

may someone plz load the experimental dll up anywhere or send it per mail?

JohnnyR wrote on 2022-02-02, 18:58:

i mean during gaming... setup for me is also only working with win98 comp. mode

I have never heard of any experimental .dll from DDrawCompat. But I know that WineD3D runs the game fine:

https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 105 of 114, by thomasplummer55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dornil, did you ever find a way to get rid of the box in Mig Alley with dgVooDoo Win7?
I have tried a lot of stuff to fix this and no success.
Now mig alley will run in Win7 but framerates are quite low, down to 10 fps in some views so it is unpleasent to fly.
Have you found a solid, high fps fix for Windows 7??

Thanks,
Thomas

Reply 106 of 114, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Steve68 wrote on 2020-04-27, 23:20:

I was also stuck at the 74% install crashing from the True Type Font bug. If you install Microsoft Word you will get past this bug.

Hello! I am facing the same issue as you did. Tried setting the compatibility to Win 98, admin rights, manually installing the intel.ttf file, etc. but to no avail. Also have MS office 2016 installed (if this is causing any issues). The installer always hangs at 74% or 1% (depending on when intel.ttf is being installed).

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 107 of 114, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was not to be install. However was able to get it working by copying the rowan folder from another installation (Win 7) and then editing the roots.dir. Had also performed the regsvr32 for all the .ocx files as advised in another forum. Facing one issue. The radio chatter is not working. Tried Win XP compatibility mode, but no luck. Win 98 mode causes the game to hang up. Any fix to get the radio chatter working?

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 108 of 114, by WesCov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't address any of the issues mention above directly, but I can share how I got it running under Windows 11 with the hope that it will help. I installed the base mig alley directly from CD and had to do the smacker folder copy and path changes as described elsewhere. I could run mig alley as a Windows 8 program, as administrator, but it would not acknowledge my joystick. I applied the 123 patch. At this point there are a couple of tricks. First, I downloaded and installed the ddraw.dll from https://github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases replacing the ddraw installed by the patch. Then you have to create a text file "DDrawCompat.ini" and enter in the following two lines:

SupportedResolutions=640x480,800x600,1024x768
ConfigHotkey=none

Apparently, this version of ddraw gets overwhelmed if there are too many resolutions available. The second line disables Shift-F11 as the hot key to pull up ddraw options (Shift-F11 is the "Large View" key for the BDG version of mig alley). I've attached my ini file.

The other thing to do is edit the bdg.txt file and turn off the intro video:

INTRO_VIDEO=OFF

If you do not already have bdg.txt in the directory, it should be created even if you don't have a successful start of mig alley. I've attached my copy just in case, but some of the zoom mode values are mine and not the default.

I have been successfully running mig alley for several months now. I just recently ran into an issue where it won't accept the keyboard 5 key! I've posted about that in a separate thread: Mig Alley Hijacking the Keyboard 5 key

Attachments

• Filename
    bdg.txt
    File size
    1.03 KiB
    Downloads
    61 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    DDrawCompat.ini
    File size
    64 Bytes
    Downloads
    71 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 109 of 114, by Steve68

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I keep getting the error: Cant find roots.dir, when trying to run the game on my Windows 10 machine.
There is clearly a file called roots.dir after installing the game. This is running the game in compatibility mode WinXP SP3.
I am able to run the game on my Win7 machine in compatibility mode, however even though it shows my logitech extreme 3d pro joystick in the game menu it doesn't work in flight. I have run the calibration app and still no joy.

Reply 110 of 114, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am trying to get this one working on Win 10. Was able to install the V1.1 from CD. Also copied the 3 dll files on to the installation directory. The game starts. However, on entering the game, getting an error "The game requires a minimum desktop resolution of 800x600....". Tried different compatibility modes to no avail. Didn't face such issues on Win 8.1. Please let me know how to bypass this error?

Reply 111 of 114, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stealthjoe wrote on 2023-09-23, 07:46:

I am trying to get this one working on Win 10. Was able to install the V1.1 from CD. Also copied the 3 dll files on to the installation directory. The game starts. However, on entering the game, getting an error "The game requires a minimum desktop resolution of 800x600....". Tried different compatibility modes to no avail. Didn't face such issues on Win 8.1. Please let me know how to bypass this error?

...give Wined3d a try. It's 3 files that drop into the game folder. MA runs on Win 10 for me without the cockpit tearing of the other solutions. The menus are off center but everything functions fine.

Reply 112 of 114, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tincup wrote on 2023-09-23, 23:11:

...give Wined3d a try. It's 3 files that drop into the game folder. MA runs on Win 10 for me without the cockpit tearing of the other solutions. The menus are off center but everything functions fine.

I tried using the 3 dll file (wined3d, winelib and ddraw) but it crashed to desktop. Tried using different variants of ddraw from ddrawcompat site, but still crashed. My processor is Ryzen 3 Dual Core AMD R3-3250U if that helps. Also, are there any ways to get it working on a VM (Win 7 on VMware) as I tried that option as well but in vain?

Reply 113 of 114, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stealthjoe wrote on 2023-09-25, 04:37:
tincup wrote on 2023-09-23, 23:11:

I tried using the 3 dll file (wined3d, winelib and ddraw) but it crashed to desktop. Tried using different variants of ddraw from ddrawcompat site, but still crashed. My processor is Ryzen 3 Dual Core AMD R3-3250U if that helps. Also, are there any ways to get it working on a VM (Win 7 on VMware) as I tried that option as well but in vain?

Hmmm... Well as a matter of fact I'm running intel/nVidia so maybe it *is* a hardware issue. I know that over the years Mig Alley installs were among the most "brittle" and least likely to survive random OS and driver updates, and any GFX swaps always required a fresh look.

Reply 114 of 114, by thomasplummer55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

**** Mig Alley on Windows 7 with good frame rates ****

I will answer my own question of 8 messages back.
I have 3 Windows 7 desktops for all my simming and about 46 flight sims, most are 1997 - 2012 era. None are connected to the internet.
Hundreds of hours spent getting all these to work well.

Mig Alley is finally running very well at 50-60 fps all places and near the ground in cities on two of my systems.
I did what I considered to be a stock install 1.23 and 0.85 and NOCD fix for window 7.
What really made this work was Narzul directdraw version 0.5.0 in the game directory.
Shortcut is C:\rowen\mig\Mig.exe "-NOINTRO" and compat is WinXP SP2

I am always hesitant to make reports of this kind because of the highly variable nature of systems out there and the likelihood that this will not work for you.
I usually try everything to get a sim going and keep what works. This is frustrating and time consuming. No royal road to sim fixes.

My hope is that this report may help you get Mig Alley going well on Windows 7,
Best Regards,
Thomas

My setup is as follows:
Windows 7 Home Premium (last full wrap-up update)
CyberPowerPC
Intel core i7-4790K @ 4.00 Ghz
RAM 16.0 GB
64 bit OS
Graphics driver: GeForce GTX 770, version 430.64
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 770