VOGONS

First post, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was looking for a mail manager that still works with windows 2000. Does anyone know one? A thousand thanks!

Reply 2 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I understand that you are looking for a modern application that is able to connect and work with current email providers? This isn't going to be easy I believe.

Reply 3 of 7, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote on 2024-05-21, 16:30:

I understand that you are looking for a modern application that is able to connect and work with current email providers? This isn't going to be easy I believe.

Other than perhaps, needing a newer version of TLS for handshaking, POP3/SMTP is POP3/SMTP.

For this issue (Newer TLS), Eudora was (in)famous for being highly extensible, and there is a (probably no longer maintained?) FOSS solution that works that way.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hermesmail/files/

But Hermes Mail is basically just "Eudora with TLS 1.2"

It should be sufficient to communicate with most mail providers that present a POP3 interface, which is most. (But not all.)

Reply 4 of 7, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting, maybe HERMES Mail is more up to date? Should I try it directly with him?
I also discovered Becky's version! Internet Mail, for windows 2000 (version 2.75.04). Now there's something strange. The program installed correctly on Windows 11 and I was able to connect Outlook, without problems, using the same settings, but on Windows 2000, it gives me the error that it cannot connect to the server... very strange.
I also tried Pegasus Mail, I can only send emails but not receive any.

Reply 5 of 7, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In addition to the POP3 setup, you need to do the SMTP setup.

It's different between email providers.

Reply 7 of 7, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wierd_w wrote on 2024-05-22, 00:49:

In addition to the POP3 setup, you need to do the SMTP setup.

It's different between email providers.

OK, thanks a lot! I'll try it and see if it works!