VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VipertheSniper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've read several of the posts regarding C&C RA running under Win2k/XP, and I've tried some of the stuff recommended there, but I wasn't able to get it running, mostly because I don't know how to use all the Option in Qfixapp, and well I don't have time now to try all the other things like ACP and whatever there is out there.
Well I guess some of you are tired of that question, but: "How do I get the Win95 installer of C&C RA to work?" (prefered solution with qfixapp as I already have that).

Ok and now to a topic I haven't found anything in this forum (maybe because it's a Dos-Game..?). How do I get "Z" to run under XP, just using compatibility modes doesn't work.
I hope you can help me out...
Don't bother to reply, even if you think someone already wrote the answer, the first day I can try it out will be next monday, so if you think someone missed an important point, post your thoughts...

pretty long first post. hope I can run this games under XP soon

Thanks in advance
Martin B.

Reply 1 of 9, by aznnamja84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its actually possible to play Command & Conquer: Red Alert 1 on Windows 2000 Pro? If so please send me the website where you read the steps so I can try and see if it works and then tell you if it works or not. Cause sometimes it might be people just lying.

Reply 2 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We might be cold and callous at times, but we don't lie about what we can and can't get work.

WE are the moderators and administrators of VOGONS.
WE are the alpha and the omega.

Whoo. That was fun, for about 1/2 second.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 9, by VipertheSniper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok...
well seems that I can't do anything about "Z"...
but what about C&C RA?
I've read some of the threads related to this topic but I'm just as clever as before..., when I run the Setup with qfixapp, do I just have to select "Layer: Windows95"? Do I have to change any of the options??? I mean there are about 200 options where 57 are selected by default.
I know there are descriptions for each and every option, but everything I tried so far didn't make it work, I always get the famous "Setup Initialization Error" Box...

Yeah ok, there's a website for getting this to run?? would someone please be so kind and link it?

Reply 5 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VipertheSniper wrote:

when I run the Setup with qfixapp, do I just have to select "Layer: Windows95"?

Correct.

Do I have to change any of the options???

No.

everything I tried so far didn't make it work, I always get the famous "Setup Initialization Error" Box...

Um? This is the "does not run on NT" box?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 9, by VipertheSniper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So it won't run under XP? just Win2k? or what?
guess I have to give up all hopes then?
or trying other progs like ACT...
Edit:

Um? This is the "does not run on NT" box?

Well apart from the text "Setup initialization Error" in the mainbar the box is empty...

Last edited by VipertheSniper on 2003-09-01, 18:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by stuntpup I gave up trying to get Z to work in XP .. tried everything !
only way to play it is with a double boot setup (98 / XP) .. sad but true !!

While I would always say a dual-boot is a good thing, I was able to get the VGA-demo version of the Z-game running in a CVS version of DosBox. So I'd say future versions of DosBox are probably the solution.

Originally posted by VipertheSniper So it won't run under XP? just Win2k? or what?

All we know about Red Alert in Win2k/XP is here:
showthread.php?threadid=317&highlight=Red+Alert
showthread.php?threadid=1611&highlight=Red+Alert
showthread.php?threadid=1822&highlight=Red+Alert

Basically EA/Westwood has a patch that should allow for it to run in XP, but it kills multiplayer. Some people have come up with a "method" that allows multiplayer, but it's very "involved".

Reply 8 of 9, by VipertheSniper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well... hmmm I know that with installing the DOS version of RA (which, oddly enough, works perfect, apart from some sound probs, and runs), also the Win95 version gets installed... but I don'T know does RA just copy the files over from the CD or will the win installer make registry entries?

Because when it just copies the files the patch would indeed be the solution...