VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Patrick benatar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Umm, I came across this great little program a couple of years ago (or whatever the date was before some expert corrects me) and I have been using it ever since instead of using dosbox by itself, because I very much like being able to edit the config files with a drop down menu that feels similar to a gaming machine emulator, when dosbox 0.73 was released I went to

http://ykhwong.x-y.net/cvs/frame.html

to get a 0.73 version of this thing but I cant find one there, possibly because the creator has been conscripted into compulsory korean military service.

I noticed guidierre's name somewhere in the credits for some mod or another I thought, and I was hoping one of you could direct me to the 0.73 version of this thing, a CVS build is it called?

I never want to have to tell windows which program to open a dosbox.conf file with ever again, but I don't feel confident enough to try and graft 0.73 into this CVS thing myself..........

Reply 4 of 27, by Patrick benatar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I thought of that, but did you see that third link down? That was what I was afraid of, running into something like that at this young and inpressionable stage of my personal development, better to have a hardened world weary dutchman like you google it for me, If I started drinking beers and getting laid, it could seriously interfere with and cut in on my larping schedule.

Reply 6 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Maybe start with something simple? Like reading and understanding the sub-forum topic?

Windows
Getting old Windows games working.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 27, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Patrick benatar wrote:

http://ykhwong.x-y.net/cvs/frame.html

to get a 0.73 version of this thing but I cant find one there, possibly because the creator has been conscripted into compulsory korean military service.

I noticed guidierre's name somewhere

since I have the honor (too much honor!) of being quoted 😀 :

the updated thing you're after is
gulikoza's glide patch, which corresponds to ykhwong's
http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/
Glide patch

only, be aware it's updated to match dosbox v0.72, but not (yet) to 0.73
so afaict you can only use it over a 0.72 dosbox installation so far.

HTH

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 8 of 27, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He is after a modded version of DOSBox that has a menu bar, Yhkwong was the maintainer for that version and since he is now not able work on it any more there are NO new versions since the latest 0.72 build made by him.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 9 of 27, by Patrick benatar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey thanks for the responses i'll check that link.
I really like that package and i'm hoping someone makes one just like it for 0.73, it's so easy to use, i tried the dbgl one, but i don't really like it as much, doesn't anyone else like it like it enough to upgrade it to 0.73? I thought about about trying to do it but I don't really know how, or if it is even possible without expert knowledge...

Last edited by Patrick benatar on 2009-07-19, 08:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 27, by Patrick benatar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

Maybe start with something simple? Like reading and understanding the sub-forum topic?

Windows
Getting old Windows games working.

um no offence but "getting old games working" offers a pretty broad spectrum of subject matter, and running this program has helped me to get many old games working.

Reply 11 of 27, by Patrick benatar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks franpa thats exactly what I wanted to know, I thought that a 0.73 version would be released at the same time as the new dosbox, and was surprised when ykhwong didn't have one on his site. There are some improvements in the new version i've noticed already like being able to run Legends of valour with click and drag, whereas 0.72 would not, and I also noticed that 0.73 has no problem with very long file paths, unlike the 0.72 I've been using, so at the moment I am still using Ykhwong's version and sometimes using a normal version of 0.73 for things that don't work with 0.72. I'll find things easier on the whole when someone integrates 0.73 with a dropdown menu interface.

Reply 13 of 27, by Patrick benatar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am not pestering anyone, I started this thread, and it is a perfectly valid topic.

I noticed on the thread for ideas on what should go into 0.73 that a drop down menu was one of the suggestions, but I didn't follow it up to see any further discussion on why it was not implemented, or why it was not a good idea, perhaps Ykhwong is not the only person on the planet who is interested in developing it, and this seems a valid forum as any to raise the idea for discussion as not having to constantly edit .conf files makes old games easier to run.

Reply 14 of 27, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your thread has sat here for 3 months with no usefull replies.

Yhkwong's patch has been available for 2+ years and no developer here is interested in it and only mabye 3 users have ever mentioned it on these forums in that amount of time.

There are way more options in DOSBox than could fit into a simple drop down menu.

Kipposep is working on expanding moe's internal GUI for the dosbox config and also the wrapper.
DBGL and DFEND Reload are the best you can get for frontends.

The internal drop down menu is dead unless yhkwong develops it further. I'm betting not.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 27, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
http://ykhwong.x-y.net/cvs/frame.html wrote:

** I, Taewoong Yoo is going to enter the army to join military service usually required of males in South Korea. It might take about 22 months to complete the service.

It's said that for ages and I'm just pointing it out for you.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 18 of 27, by Patrick benatar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I've been meaning to post in his forum and see if anyone responds, I'm still not certain why nobody here is not interested in the drop down menu interface but hey, as I'm always telling myself...........

Attachments

• Filename
    PoiNt Of VieW.jpg
    File size
    67.33 KiB
    Downloads
    244 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

1. Write open-source software
2. Help test and debug open-source software
3. Publish useful information
4. Help keep the infrastructure working
5. Serve the hacker culture itself

Reply 19 of 27, by Patrick benatar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[quote="DosFreak"]
There are way more options in DOSBox than could fit into a simple drop down menu.

Kipposep is working on expanding moe's internal GUI for the dosbox config and also the wrapper.
DBGL and DFEND Reload are the best you can get for frontends.

quote]

I didn't have time to respond to your post when I read it dosfreak, I appreciate informative responses and I am still learning about dosbox as I go along, I don't yet understand all the options you refer to & I am not suggesting that all of dosbox's functions should fit into a dd menu, the CVS build incorporates the whole of dosbox within it so all of the functions are still there, it just makes the most basic changes much faster and much easier to operate as in say, the difference between a rotary and a touch button telephone, I love rotary telephones they are beautiful and aesthetic, but I would rather press buttons in my day to day life,and I have never had to ask anyone if they were thinking of building one or if they liked the idea, I always had a choice, but in this case I have had to.
There is also the aspect that people who know almost nothing about dos can alter settings without making typos in the .conf file for example, resulting in less pointless queries for all of you here relating to games not running because the conf file has been fudged, and it is easier for people to absorb and learn the names and aspects of all the basic settings when reading them in menus, rather than in a cluttered and confusing notepad or readme file.
I know what a GUI is, but I don't know what a MOE is, I will be interested to see what gui changes kipposoep is creating, I'm guessing they will be text entered from within the dosbox prompt?
I am going to tut myself with dfend and D.rink B.eers G.et L.aid, and see if I can work with them, I have been very busy and have so many things to do...
I am not trying to criticise Dosbox I think it is a great program and I know many of you work tirelessly for no money in order to preserve history and offer public access to old games, I just think that things can be made easier for the general populous.
I have noticed that some websites are now offering premade packages with dosbox configured within a game folder so that the user only has to press a one push extension named play to run games that I can't even run by clicking and dragging or mounting with type, and this could become more and more common to the point that the majority of people who are new to dosbox may not ever find out what it is, or what it does, and will not become familiar with dos or have any need to, I know that many of you like people to learn about dos as they use dosbox and the easier the program is to run, the more people will become familiar with it.
I was wondering if for example clicking and dragging isos to the dosbox.exe will ever be considered as a way of mounting discs?
Probably this has been suggested before and shot down in flames, or perhaps it is not possible for some reason?

1. Write open-source software
2. Help test and debug open-source software
3. Publish useful information
4. Help keep the infrastructure working
5. Serve the hacker culture itself