Common searches

Doskutsu

Topic actions

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cave Story had many ports (Linux, Mac, PSP) but none for DOS? That's just blasphemy.

What could be done in a port:
- Allowing 320x240x8 by color remapping to an optimally generated palette. The hard part is giving Doctor its own palette to calculate a red fade in. This would be faster than running in the game's native resolution of 640x480x16 (2x pixel scale, with sharp fonts)
- Using a fixed pixel font instead of interfacing with truetype or freetype
- Option of OPL-3 Org? The music code stands between running the game on 486 class machines... or at least a lower sampling rate option.

As of now, the game doesn't function under Windows 95 or even HXDOS. It relies on some Windows 98 shell dependency for a no good reason (it doesn't even touch "My Documents")

No, I can't port it - wish I knew how.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 3, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

As of now, the game doesn't function under Windows 95

It works if you install IE4.0
(Although after using english translation patch game doesn't work in any win9x for me (at least not in dosbox 😉 )
Anyway the game works fine (even with enghish translation) in winxp and 7 so why do you want dos ver?

Reply 2 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why indeed? I reckon some of the graphical effects would require a pretty powerful machine even in DOS.

I seem to recall someone was trying to re-implement the engine in an open-source project, but I doubt it got anywhere.

Also, wasn't the PSP port unauthorized and canceled?

Reply 3 of 3, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

here are all the versions including a PSP port....

http://www.cavestory.org/downloads_1.php

this is SkyeWelse's tribute site and has very recent Site Updates October 20, 2010

Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com/