VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm doing a little project and putting together a PC exclusively for windows 95.I've set a little boundary for myself that I don't want to use any parts that's came out after win98 which I think was released retail in June 98. anyways its pretty much all done and for video I had settled on a voodoo 1 paired with a virge/gx. well I recently found a diamond viper v550 TNT based card and I was thinking of swapping that out with the virge/gx but i wanted to see what you guys thought.

I'm assuming in DOS the virge will be slightly more compatible as well as better representing the era and i'm also thinking it has support for games that do S3D BUT i've read the GX has some incompatibilities with S3D games anyways and that overall the TNT based card is the better card.

Reply 1 of 11, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the TNT is obviously faster in 3D than both the ViRGE and the Voodoo1, supports higher resolutions (definitely in 3D, probably in 3D too). Better support for video acceleration AFAIR.
For normal 2D stuff it shouldn't matter too much.

According to http://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/ the TNT is about as good for DOS games as a ViRGE/GX.

About S3D compatibility: A GX card is the best you can do. DOS games work using the latest version of the S3D toolkit patcher (ran Terminal Velocity myself on a GX card). Only later cards (GX/2 and Trio3D) don't work properly in some games.

It really depends on what you want to do exactly. If you don't want to run any Direct3D/OpenGL games than the TNT won't have a big advantage.

Reply 2 of 11, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You do realize there is a difference between manufacture date and release date of a hardware? I have an ati 6670 that was released in late 2011 but the version I got was stamped middle 2012

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 3 of 11, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

You do realize there is a difference between manufacture date and release date of a hardware? I have an ati 6670 that was released in late 2011 but the version I got was stamped middle 2012

from what I read the TNT was released mid 1998 so i'm guessing it was manufactured even earlier so it definatly qualifies for me.

Reply 4 of 11, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think what dosquest meant is that the cards were produced during a period. I don't know how for how long TNT cards were made, but just look at Geforce FX 5200 - those can still be bought new in box.

But I agree you should just stick to the release date. When TNT was available before your cut-off date then it is fine, even if the card was manufactured later.

Reply 5 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

win95 era? I knew noone with a TNT back then, the majority here had either a CL-544x or a S3 card (50% a trio/vision and 50% a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 one) or a Matrox Mystique or some other crappy PCI vga 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 11, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ah, I see now idspispopd, thanks for clarifying. yhea i think for my purposes release date makes more sence.

keropi wrote:

win95 era? I knew noone with a TNT back then, the majority here had either a CL-544x or a S3 card (50% a trio/vision and 50% a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 one) or a Matrox Mystique or some other crappy PCI vga 🤣

yhea, thats what I thought. Its really just a kinda unnessicary excuse for me to build anouther PC and I like doing "period piece" machines. thing is I cant decide if I want to build something thats typical of the time or just build the most high end machine within my set frame. Right now I have a 300mhz pentium II which I know some OEM machines with the "built for windows 95" tags had. I think the IBM Aptiva had a 300mhz cpu though it may of been a K-6. I suppose if i wanted to push it i can do a 350mhz. I'll probibly just stick with the virge to be more era specific and take advantage of those s3d games.

I myself back then had a lowly AST 133 (or 166 I cant remember) pentium with a Trident card. I was blissfully ignorant then though and never noticed many issues though I do recall it had a problem with Bauldars gate and that card.

Reply 7 of 11, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now, what is slightly confusing about this thread is, do you mean like "the ideal setup for 95" eg: if someone had the top of the line everything for the era. Or, do you mean what the average joe had? I mean, if you meant that, then you will be dealing with trident cards and maybeeeeee some rage pro cards.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 9 of 11, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

Now, what is slightly confusing about this thread is, do you mean like "the ideal setup for 95" eg: if someone had the top of the line everything for the era. Or, do you mean what the average joe had? I mean, if you meant that, then you will be dealing with trident cards and maybeeeeee some rage pro cards.

I know. i've even been confusing myself. i'll only be using this PC for games between 1995 and early 98 and maybe some DOS stuff. like I said its mostly a project. I think my goal has 3 things in mind. performance, compatability and era correctness/iconicness.

the TNT fullfills performace being maybe the "best" card in that time frame overall but the virge is a little more compatable it seems overall and has more of a "feel" of that era.

Reply 11 of 11, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:

how do S3D games work anyways? does it detect the card or i'm guessing its like the voodoo where you usually get a seperate .exe

Usually a separate .exe. This is the case for Terminal Velocity and Tomb Raider. You could have a look at vetz's Ultimate List, though "retail support" there doesn't necessarily mean it's not a separate .exe, but at least the .exe would be included.