VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I have a few old D3D 6.0 Win9x games that look absolutely ugly and makes trying to determine things in distance fog neigh impossible because apparently the HD 6870 does not do any sort of dithering on 16-bit colour depth rendering.

LithTech 1.0 games are my major culprit, is there any way to force these (and other) particular games to 32-bit colour depth? I'm guessing I'm going to have to crack open a debugger or two...

If there were D3D 6 to OpenGL 1.x wrappers that can allow to force 16-bit -> 32-bit colour depth that would be wonderful, but google isn't showing me anything promising...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those aren't complete source codes.

That's just enough to mod the game because the game logic is in C++. The render source code is not included at all in either Blood 2 or Shogo's source release.

Unless I'm missing something here...

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 9, by duralisis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Every ATI/AMD card from the HD2400 series and every NVIDIA chip since the G80/G92 (8800GT, etc) has removed key texture format support and lots of "legacy stuff". The only way around this is to resample all textures internally to 32-bit like nGlide (http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide) or like the Dark engine fixes do (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121449).

I've never seen a Lithtec replacement driver for 32-bit color on B2/Shogo. For me the only solution has been old cards like a Radeon X1950 or NV 6600GT/7600GT. There are PCI-E & AGP versions of both. Intel HD graphics up to the current gen either support dithering and legacy features or convert everything to 32-bit internally.

Reply 4 of 9, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've always wondered if it would be possible to just plug in an older PCIe video card as a "secondary card" and use that for old games. Maybe using different brands for both cards to avoid driver conflicts. Could eliminate the need for dedicated "XP rigs" almost completely.

This could help with a multitude of legacy features actually. EMBM, Truform and 8-bit paletted textures come to mind. Too bad a card which does all of this doesn't exist AFAIK...

Reply 5 of 9, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem with using older cards is drivers. What's the oldest card that does not have legacy 16-bit stuff taken out that can work under win7?

I don't know if my current mobo even has a PCI slot but a voodoo 2 card (or 3) would obviously solve everything here.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 8 of 9, by duralisis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd say your best bet is a Geforce 6 or 7. They're supported in up to the relatively recent 300.xx series drivers and have support for most legacy features. A 7900GS/GT is at least partially usable in more modern games as well. Now whether or not older pre-DX9 games have DirectX compatibility problems in the newer drivers is another issue. AVP fans know this problem well 😀.

Reply 9 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
duralisis wrote:

I'd say your best bet is a Geforce 6 or 7. They're supported in up to the relatively recent 300.xx series drivers and have support for most legacy features. A 7900GS/GT is at least partially usable in more modern games as well. Now whether or not older pre-DX9 games have DirectX compatibility problems in the newer drivers is another issue. AVP fans know this problem well 😀.

LeiLei has it right. GeForce FX solves a lot of issues with legacy games. GeForce 6 is when nVidia started removing legacy support for functions that were rarely or no longer used. For AGP systems, naturally, the higher the number on the card the better. For PCI, the FX5600 is as fast as it gets (slightly faster on paper than even a 6200) but the FX5600 is rare as hen's teeth in PCI these days. FX5500 is probably the second best GeForce FX card in PCI (barely faster than a FX5200 non-ultra) and a lot easier to find for a low price. I had heard that there was a FX5700LE in PCI a long time ago but that one seems to be even harder to find than a FX5600 and doesn't run any faster than an FX5200 non-ultra according to any of the specs I have been able find on it.