VOGONS

Common searches

Episode 1 Racer - White Screen (LA FTP down)

Topic actions

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I'm trying to run Star Wars Episode 1 Racer on a few XP machines. The game runs swimmingly except that there's a big white layer covering the screen just ahead of the pod so you can't actually see anything as you race. I've scoured the internet and the only fixes I can find point to a patch on the LucasArts FTP which is now down. Does anybody else have this archived somewhere?

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1 of 69, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think this is the exe that may sort out the white graphics problem

Attachments

• Filename
    swep1rcr.exe.rar
    File size
    354.57 KiB
    Downloads
    3644 downloads
    File comment
    Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 69, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! I'll give it a shot next Monday!

My Github

Reply 4 of 69, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think this is the exe that may sort out the white graphics problem

That .exe still has corrupt graphics. You can also try the fix from my page - http://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2013/12/02/s … pisode-i-racer/ It doesn't work for everyone though.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 5 of 69, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I've actually found your install utility as well but it didn't help.

aqrit wrote:

I've downloaded DXWnd but there is no entry for Episode 1 Racer. The thread said that changes were implemented for Racer so is there a newer build I need to get maybe? I'm not sure what I should do here.

My Github

Reply 8 of 69, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's just a replacement installer, won't help with the graphics corruption. I re-wrote the installer in NSIS since Markus' one is a little over-complicated, but the graphics corruption thing is somewhat harder to solve, unfortunately.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 9 of 69, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's weird, it's like a big white flat polygon face that lies just in front of the camera. I can see the pod and the ground directly beneath it but anything further is blocked by this giant white layer. I'd have thought it was the HUD but it moves and rotates with the pod in whatever direction it's facing and the HUD doesn't move.

I don't have this problem on my home computer, so I can't test anymore until Monday when I get back to the WinXP computers I'm trying to make this work on.

My Github

Reply 10 of 69, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I got the game running in Wine without graphic glitches and just using the exe I posted earlier. Not much help but at least you know it is possible to run still!

Attachments

• snapshot2.png
    Filename
    snapshot2.png
    File size
    211.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 69, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That white screen fix didn't help at all. 🙁

I tried DXWnd but there is no import function to add the custom settings for Racer. Adding the contents to the dxwnd ini manually does nothing. It does not appear on the list. Attempting to add Racer manually and run it doesn't fix the issue. The "Clean ZBUFFER @1.0 fix" entry is no where to be found. I'm using the latest version from sourceforge. Is there another version available that has it?

EDIT: never mind. Found the latest version. I imported the entry and the game runs but alli see is the loading bar go up to 99% and then the screen freezes. The game plays on in the background normally but all I see is the loading bar frozen in place.

edit 2 never mind again! Made some random changes to settings and now the video works. And the white screen is fixed!

One last question. I see that the whole point of DxWnd is to run in a window. Despite the fact that it does this, the desktop resolution also changes down to the window resolution so having it in windowed mode is pointless. Is there any way to force fullscreen? I unchecked Run In A Window and checked Fullscreen Only but no change. Something I'm missing?

My Github

Reply 12 of 69, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you can get a 'fake' fullscreen mode by playing with some of the options ...

Set the "Window initial position & size" to the center of the screen and w/e resolution
then set the "Hide desktop background" and "Modal style" options

( also have the Windows taskbar set to auto-hide )

Reply 13 of 69, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. Works nicely. 😀

My Github

Reply 14 of 69, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mind telling me where you found the DXWnd version that worked for you? I'd like to pop this up as an alternative method on my page, since this is the game I get asked about most.

play-old-pc-games.com

Reply 15 of 69, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's on the SourceForge site, but it's just not the link at the top that says "latest version". It's in the Latest Build folder.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/files/Latest%20build/

My Github

Reply 18 of 69, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DxWnd V2.02.73 is out.
Unchecking the "Run in window" box might now work 😜

also the wrong version being reported on the main page should be resolved.
( might have been a side-effect of DxWnd being featured as one of the Projects of the Week ? )

Reply 19 of 69, by BuckoA51

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well that's a shame, doesn't work for me at all through DXWnd, all I get is "rdroid_gnome release build has stopped working" as soon as I start the game.

This sure is a problematic title 😠

play-old-pc-games.com