VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by error0187

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is about the original Windows release of Sega's Daytona USA.

What does the "Motion" setting in Daytona USA's in-game menu do?

According to the Game's helpfile, the setting is supposed to do the following:

Motion:

Choose SMOOTH or ROUGH for the game motion. SMOOTH motion may slow the game down. ROUGH motion will make the game run faster, but the action will appear jerkier.

The wording makes it sound as if it's possibe to change the Game's framerate.
(The Game is a direct port from the Sega Saturn console and runs at a measly 20 frames per second).

The "Fast" option ("Rough" in the helpfile) is the one that is selected by default.
I can change it to "Smooth", but it doesn't appear to take any effect (according to Fraps it's still 20fps),
and when I restart the Game, it goes back to "Fast".
The DAYTONA.INI file doesn't get changed, either.

Reply 2 of 12, by error0187

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The original Windows version doesn't have a Direct3D Patch. You're confusing it with "Daytona USA Deluxe", which is a port of the reworked "Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition" for the Sega Saturn. This game has better graphics, runs at 30fps and has a Direct3D patch.

Reply 3 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original Daytona USA for PC was a very rough port. They could've made it so much better.
This option is never saved and I don't see much difference, maybe it does make a difference on slower machines.

Reply 4 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cybertroopers: Virtual On have the same exact setting. Here the option is more noticeable as it is a fighting game (with robots 😁 ). It cuts down the amount of frames in the animation, making the game run better on slower computers. It also seems to limit the FPS in the game to 20-21, while the SMOOTH option sets the limit at 30FPS.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 12, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
error0187 wrote:

The original Windows version doesn't have a Direct3D Patch. You're confusing it with "Daytona USA Deluxe", which is a port of the reworked "Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition" for the Sega Saturn. This game has better graphics, runs at 30fps and has a Direct3D patch.

Is that the one that required the NV1, since it used quadratic polys, instead of the standard "triangular" polys? I had a buddy who owned one of those. Worked fine for Saturn ports (even had a port on the back for a saturn controller), but sucked hard with any game that used standard polys.

Reply 7 of 12, by error0187

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElectricMonk wrote:

Is that the one that required the NV1, since it used quadratic polys, instead of the standard "triangular" polys? I had a buddy who owned one of those. Worked fine for Saturn ports (even had a port on the back for a saturn controller), but sucked hard with any game that used standard polys.

No, Daytona USA doesn't have support for the Nvidia NV1 (although it's possible that it was planned at some point).
However, some other Saturn ports do have support for the NV1.

See this thread 3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
and this wiki entry http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_g … roprietary_APIs
for details

Last edited by error0187 on 2014-09-30, 07:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 12, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never really knew what that option does, but it does seem to make it smoother. Key controls aren't saved in the menu either. If you hunt around for the .ini file related to the game, you can set the menu to allow a mouse pointer, or keep it on all the time, I seem to remember.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 9 of 12, by error0187

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote:

Cybertroopers: Virtual On have the same exact setting. Here the option is more noticeable as it is a fighting game (with robots 😁 ). It cuts down the amount of frames in the animation, making the game run better on slower computers. It also seems to limit the FPS in the game to 20-21, while the SMOOTH option sets the limit at 30FPS.

So I was right, the setting does change the game's framerate. For some reason it doesn't appear to work in Daytona USA, and the game is stuck in the lower quality setting. Since it's impossible to change this setting via the UI, I tried to fiddle with the DAYTONA.INI file and to guess the setting's name, but this didn't work either.

Reply 10 of 12, by error0187

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I never really knew what that option does, but it does seem to make it smoother. Key controls aren't saved in the menu either. If you hunt around for the .ini file related to the game, you can set the menu to allow a mouse pointer, or keep it on all the time, I seem to remember.

That's strange - I set my key controls via the menu and they were saved.
And no, it isn't smoother. I thought so, too, but it's the same choppy 20fps in both settings. And this is the only setting in the UI that resets itself to default everytime, so it doesn't get saved.

Reply 11 of 12, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One more funny thing about Daytona USA; if you read the help file (I think) there's quotes from the developers, one says "this is my first PC game!" or something like that!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 12 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

One more funny thing about Daytona USA; if you read the help file (I think) there's quotes from the developers, one says "this is my first PC game!" or something like that!

Why am I not surprised? 🤣