VOGONS

Common searches

Installing Windows 3.1 from floppy disks

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by ol2ec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi fellow retro fanatics,

I'm trying to install the Compaq OEM version of Windows 3.1, which should contain an incredibly rare piece of software: Xsoft's TabWorks 1.2!

The readme tells me I should put the executables on floppy disks and start by running the first executable. I'm planning on putting the executables in seperate folders, and mounting those folders as floppy disk drives in DOSbox instead. However, I'm not able to run the executables in DOSbox:
HT6wn5n.png

Probably this means I'm not running the executable in the correct environment, but I don't know how else I would do it! Do you know how I'm supposed to perform the installation?

Last edited by ol2ec on 2015-05-19, 20:02. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the standard message you get when running a Win32 executable in DOS. Try running the executables in Windows. Put one in a test directory, launch it and see what happens.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 10, by ol2ec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

VOGONS does not give support for illegally downloaded software. Expect a mod to delete that link and lock this thread shortly.

My apologies, I removed the link.

For what it's worth, I do have a licensed version of Windows 3.1 (on an old Compaq pc). The hard drive it was installed on is dead though, so this is my only option to continue using my old games.

Reply 8 of 10, by ol2ec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
oerk wrote:

Have you tried running the executables in Windows (XP/7/8) directly? Maybe they're self-extracting archives that contain the individual files. That would be my guess.

Thanks again, this was the solution to the issue.

The executables extract the installation files to an inserted floppy. I was able to create an empty virtual floppy drive by mounting an empty floppy image using ImDisk. The Virtual Floppy Drive tool doesn't work on 64bit systems, but luckily ImDisk does!