VOGONS

Common searches

XW vs TF, no CD Audio music? Anyone?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by jkatz01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, Maybe someone out there has had this problem and can help me?
I'm trying to get X-wing vs Tie FIghter working in Windows XP;
The game itself works but the CD Audio music won't play during the game or option screens... The CD-Rom light blinks as if its trying to access the disc but the music never starts. Oddly, I CAN play the CD music in windows using the media player. I've tried alot of options with ACT v2.5,
no luck. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, and trie all the various CD-ROM's that come with it... Problem is the same using the BOP expansion disc.
The System Requirements says Win95 is req'd but using Win95 compatibility mode hasn't helped.

Much Thanks for any advice!
JONkatz
Here's my system specs:
Dell Dimension, P3, 1.8Ghz
256 MB ram,
nVidia GeForce3 Ti200
Creative Soundblaster Live Value

Reply 1 of 4, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It could be that the game tries to play the audio via analogue playback and WinXP is usually set up to digital playback. You might need a white cable from soundcard to CD-ROM too.

To change the CD-ROM setting in XP, open My Computer, right-click on your CD/DVD drive and choose Properties, click the Hardware tab, click on your CD/DVD drive and click Properties, click the Properties tab then un-check Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device. Okay everything.

There is a setting inside Media Player for digital/analgue playback too.

I set both to analogue for maximum compatibility and now some games that didn't play CD audio do. However, Sega Rally 2 and Sentinel Returns don't even try to, as my thread here explains: Sega Rally 2 & Sentinel Returns not playing CD audio in WinXP - any ideas?

Ice

Reply 2 of 4, by ScreaminSteve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Was wondering if this issue has been resolved, as I have just discovered this problem myself. I did try disabling digital to no avail. I have searched google for hours and it is getting very frustrating, as support for this awesome title seems to have diminished greatly!
ThanX!

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, I remember having the exact same problem when trying to run it a few years ago. I think it may actually only be able to play audio off of the first CD drive in the system (possibly by number instead of drive letter, but I'm not sure).

Anyways, closing topic: problem solved.