VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Warthog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My computer stats are in my profile
The game is: iF-22 v3.3 (for Windows 95)

I got another oldie out of the closet, I know iF-22 probably won't be worth the effort to get it to run, but I'm so close.
I installed it and found the last patch for the game and applied it. The game overall runs fine. The first minor problem is the colours in the games main menus are messed up. I get light green text on a white background. I tried all screen resolutions and colors with no change. Hard to read, but tolerable.

The biggest problem is that the keyboard does not work properly. Any fucntions that I press a key once to turn something on or off work fine. But when I am flying and I need hold down a key to do something I get a strange problem. Say, I want to use the rudder, I hold the Z or X key, and instead of the rudder deflecting to the right or left, there is a delay, and then it just kind of vibrates. It doesn't respond right and is unuseable. However, I identified the source of the problem. The program is using Windows' keyboard key repeat delay and repate rate! I have never seen any thing like that before. I adjusted the rates and noticed a change, but it wasn't much better. I am using a joystick for the other flight controls, but I assume that I would not get much much response either if I used the arrow keys the fly the plane. And I did mess with the XP compatably modes, and that made things worse.

Well I thought I would work around the problem and go get a new 4 axis joystick (with a twist rudder axis.) It is a Interact Raider FX Advanced digital USB joystick with Force Feedback. Now my last experience with digital joystick was bad and thats why im still using a 2 button analog stick. I installed the joystick with all its software. Well the force feedback had no intention of working in the Joysticks own software, but I didn't care about that. The joystick worked fine another Windows 95 game I had on my computer. So then I tried to run iF22. With the joystick plugged in, the iF-22 would not even start up. I uninstalled the joysticks software, but still the game would not start up. As soon as I pull the USB cable out of my computer, the game starts up fine. So the game does not like the joystick. I tried to install the joystick as just a generic joystick, but Windows is looking for a new joystick on my game port. So that won't work. So the game does not like the joystick, but I need the joystick to play.
So I need to either get the keyboard to work right, get the joystick to work right, return the joystick and get a good old analog 4-axis stick (they don't make them like they used to), or fail.

I have several ideas on getting the Joystick to work, while I am dry on the keyboard.
Is there a way to connect the USB device to the computer by converting it to a standard Game port connector? People at both Radio Shack and Office Max told me that there is no such connector. I know there are connectors that do the reverse.
Or is there a software solution to make a device look like its not a USB but a standard game port device?

Or should I just find a old fashioned analog stick?

Reply 1 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow. That's a tough problem. I don't have iF-22 so I can't do any testing over here, unfortunately.

Have you tried Microsoft's Application Compatibility Toolkit? It will hopefully fix the problem.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 12, by Warthog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I got the ACT. hmm.. wow its quite complicated. Looks a bit over my head. ....

Ok this I good.. I think.. In the System Database list of Applications, iF-22 is listed and contains one fix. Now what do I do with it?

and... the InterAct Game Device Software (my USB joystick) is also listed with 7 fixes.

Reply 3 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never much liked the 2.0 ACT...

okay, what you need to do is this:

1. Run "QFixApp"
  2. Select "Win2000" in the Layers tab
  3. Go to the "Fixes" tab
  4. Check "ForceDXSetupSuccess"
  5. Check "Win95VersionLie"
  6. UNcheck "Win2000VersionLie"
  7. Click "Browse..." and find the EXE for iF-22
  8. Click "Advanced >>"
  9. Click "Create fix support" and answer "Yes" on the dialogue window that pops up

Now, whenever you need to run iF-22, it should automatically use these fixes, and it should run correctly. You may need to mess around with other shims that are provided in QFixApp, however. I just listed the two that were in the ACT database... it's quite possible that these are only fixes for the installer. 😒

I don't see any fixes for InterAct, err, anything, so I don't know what you're talking about on that front. 😜

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 12, by Warthog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did that and there was no change noticeable.

I think I am going to have to set up a dual boot to avoid all this trouble once and for all. I have been told that a program like Partition Magic or something can make a partition on my HD with out having to reformat and reinstall everything, and then I can install Win98. (not Win95, because I have my HD in FAT32). Know any thing about this?

Reply 5 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try using the default "Win95" compatibility layer in QFixApp? More extreme measures may also be necessary, but you can always check without making a patchfile by just "Run..."ning the game in QFixApp. (It applies changes on-the-fly.) Fiddle around with various bits, too. Fiddling can sometimes have a tendency to fix things. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 12, by Warthog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So here is an update on this. Partition Magic successfully make a 1GB partition on my drive. I put Windows 98 on it and installed iF-22. I got the exact same keyboard problem as I got in XP and a different graphics problem (instead of the menus being hard to read, some graphics on the screen don't show up.) But the USB joystick worked with the game! Not being satisfied, I installed Windows 95, but Windows 95 screwed itself up in a few minutes so that I could only start it in safe mode. So that being that, I installed Windows ME, which had the same results as Windows 98. So I installed Windows 98 again and I think this is as good as it will get. Although, I still wonder how the game would be in Windows 95.

The digital USB Joystick (Interact Raider Advanced FX) is the best joystick I have ever used. I was weary of it at first, because it was digital and had no trim controls, but now that I use it it's awesome! It is perfect. It has a perfect range of motion, perfectly centers itself, is precise AND accurate. It has 4 axis and none of them bleed over and affect the other axis! It's Amazing. Only downfall is that the base is small with no weight or suction cups.

So now I have two questions:
1. Are there are any recorded instances in the history of mankind of Windows XP compatibility settings actualy working for games?
2. Have the fixes listed in the ACT worked for anyone?

Reply 7 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Might be inadequacies of the video chipset. I noticed an Intel chipset that worked for most titles but had video aberrations only on certain titles. Kind of hard to tell without knowing the exact chipset.

I installed Windows 95, but Windows 95 screwed itself up in a few minutes so that I could only start it in safe mode.

If your motherboard is relatively new, there's a good chance it won't work properly with Win95 as it doesn't support USB, AGP video, and other hardware that's been made since '98.

1. Are there are any recorded instances in the history of mankind of Windows XP compatibility settings actually working for games?

Yes, they're perfect for some Sierra games for Windows (3.1/95). They actually work better for me in XP than in Win9x. This is because they require 256-color mode and only fill the screen when it's in 640x480 mode. That requires manually changing both settings in Win9x. Using compatibility mode in XP, it's automatic and reverts back to my normal screenmode when I quit the game. Very nice.

Don't know about your second question (ACT), though.

Reply 8 of 12, by procerus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nicht Sehr Gut said:

This is because they require 256-color mode and only fill the screen when it's in 640x480 mode. That requires manually changing both settings in Win9x. Using compatibility mode in XP, it's automatic and reverts back to my normal screenmode when I quit the game. Very nice.

You can use PowerStrip's application profiles to achieve the same thing on Windows 9x/ME but I can see it would be preferable if it were built in to the OS.

98lite with 629K of free conventional memory in full DOS mode using QEMM 9.0 (or 628K with UMBPCI.SYS providing real mode for FastVid) with SmartDrive, CD-ROM, CuteMouse, sound support and UniRefresh all loaded high.

Reply 10 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.monarchcomputers.com usually has some great deals on OEM parts. You should be able to get a GF3Ti500 for really cheap now, though. That's my recommendation if you're looking for a sweet card for cheap.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
procerus wrote:

... but I can see it would be preferable if it were built in to the OS.

Correct, I was comparing OS-to-OS. You can use a separate tool, but my tool tray's pretty saturated as is.