VOGONS

First post, by electron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What are some of the best early 2000s first person shooters? Any good sci-fi ones? Specifically, I'm trying to see if there is anything that could possibly run on a Toshiba Libretto U100. The graphics chip is obviously pretty bad (855GME Extreme Graphics, 64MB), but I'm wondering what kind of early shooters it can play. So, if anything, something that can run on some lower specs would be cool.

Reply 4 of 17, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder how it would run Return to Castle Wolfenstein. That's pretty much my favorite 2000~ era shooter. Not quite sci-fi though 😵

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 5 of 17, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good Sci-fi FPS in early 2000s:
Half-life
Deus Ex
Aliens versus Predator
Star Trek Voyager Elite Force
Red Faction

855GM barely matches a TNT~TNT2. You may want to consider some pre-2000 games.

Reply 8 of 17, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it doesn't need to be a run 'n' gun shooter, System Shock 2 is one of the best sci-fi first person games. It has RPG elements, but you can mostly play it as a shooter if you want to. The BioShock games are spiritual sequels of it, to give you an idea of how it is. It's from 1999, so it's sure to run very well.

Reply 9 of 17, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What direct3d version does this chip support ?
if its equal to a tnt2 that would rule out most 2000 and above era games as they require pixel shaders

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 10 of 17, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

What direct3d version does this chip support ?
if its equal to a tnt2 that would rule out most 2000 and above era games as they require pixel shaders

According to Wikipedia, the i855GM has DirectX 6 hardware feature level support and uses software emulation for DirectX 7-9 features which is why the Intel Extreme Graphics chipsets can run games that would refuse to run on an ordinary Dx6 feature level card (like a TNT2 or a Rage 128) because the cards from that era don't use the emulation techniques used by the Intel GPU drivers.

I remember being able to play The Sims 2 at minimum settings on an i845G GPU and that game requires a Geforce2 or a Radeon 7200 minimum, as well as requiring T&L Support. So some games that support a DirectX 7 feature level card will *for the most part* run on the Extreme Graphics chipsets (i830 through i865) albeit laggy at some scenarios.

Reply 11 of 17, by Anaxagoras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I think that Quake III Arena works fine in your computer.
Quake III Arena specs from MobyGames
It's not the best but funny to play with other people over LAN or Internet, or bots.
You can find OpenArena too, an opensource version of Quake III Arena.

Unreal and Half-Life, as mentioned above, should be very fast too.

yochenhsieh wrote:

Good Sci-fi FPS in early 2000s:
855GM barely matches a TNT~TNT2. You may want to consider some pre-2000 games.

I'm totally agree with yochenhsieh

My computers

qp92nk-6.png

Reply 13 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It does, and it should be able to handle Jedi Outcast as well (since the Intel Extremes are typically paired with the P4 stuff, and netburst happens to be very very good with anything id tech 3)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 17, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

It does, and it should be able to handle Jedi Outcast as well (since the Intel Extremes are typically paired with the P4 stuff, and netburst happens to be very very good with anything id tech 3)

Please read the first post. It's a Toshiba Libretto U100 which has Pentium M 1.1Ghz.

Intel 1st/2nd Gen. graphic solutions may support many features it claim, its performance is poor and depends on the CPU a lot because some features are achieved via software emulation, e.g. T&L. This is the reason why I say it barely matches a TNT~TNT2. It's possible to run Direct7~8 games, but really don't push too hard on it when you have a 1.1Ghz CPU.