VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I published it earlier but it was in a wrong place😕. Here is a list of video games for Microsoft Windows using pre-DX8 APIs and can run on modern Windows OS after Vista. You can add your own entries, just comment down below and also mention if you used any wrapper like dgVoodoo, nGlide. Please note that 3rd partymods aren't allowed.

Here is my list:

Playable:-

Diablo

Command and Conquer Red Alert: Required the patch 3.0x . Also a registry fix is required for the setup as you cant install the game from disk.

Incoming (3Dfx Version-Creative Blaster 3D) :
Had to install on a VM for the files. You might be able to install the game through the OTVDM software.

Grand Theft Auto

Grand Theft Auto 2

Need for Speed 2 SE: Requires a compatibility
.sdb file to fix a lot of issues. dgVoodoo or nGlide for Glide emulation. DSound.dll to fix cracking sound. Software mode worked fine

Need for Speed 3: Requires a registry fix and a install.win file to run the game on 64-bit OS as installer doesn't work. It might function under OTVDM but I didn't try. After installing, run the game on Glide mode using nGlide or dgVoodoo and on D3D5 using dgVoodoo. I noticed that on my PC, NFS3 can work without dgVoodoo on D3D5 mode if I launched it with dgVoodoo on D3D5 mode earlier.Software mode works fine

Prince of Persia 3D: May work with default D3D libraries provided by Microsoft. Works with dgVoodoo for MS/x86 files after the latest 'unpacked' patch is installed with a no-cd crack.

Motocross Madness: Works with dgVoodoo on some mode(Forgot whether it was Glide or D3D5, if its Glide then nGlide will also work)

Colin McRae Rally: Worked with latest patch and no-cd crack with dgVoodoo installed for D3D5

FIFA 2000: Works with both nGlide or dgVoodoo

Unreal: Requires you to modify the resolution of fullscreen in unreal.ini file for a playble framerate in D3D5. Software mode may crash, similarly change the resolution for fullscreen. Glide mode works fine with dgVoodoo and nGlide.

Unreal Tournament 99 : Requires you to modify the resolution of fullscreen in unrealtournament.ini file for a playble framerate in D3D5. Software mode may crash, similarly change the resolution for fullscreen. Glide mode works fine with dgVoodoo and nGlide.S3TC Texturees can be turned on for modern hardware using the .ini file

Half-Life: Works properly on OpenGL and software.Glide mode worked on both dgVoodoo and nGlide. D3D5 mode may crash, but in most cases it should work. Didn't try out dgVoodoo for D3D5

Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed: Requires latest patch and a no-cd crack. Glide mode works on both dgVoodoo and nGlide. D3D7 mode may crash on native Windows, dgVoodoo fixes the problem. May need to use Compatibility settings if game crashes before main menu.

System Shock 2: Requires SS2 Tool for some reasons, maybe for new executable and binaries.

Midtown Madness: Requires the latest official patch and a no-cd crack. The no-cd crack is then renamed to MidtownMadness.exe. The game might not get hardware acceleration if the executable spelling is midtown.exe. If midtown.exe ghas problem in getting hardware acceleration and if you get tilted corrupt graphics in graphics menu of the game, then you have to rename the game executable and use dgVoodoo for DX6 which is required by the game.

Project I.G.I.: May reuqire dgVoodoo if game has too much lag.

Project I.G.I.-2

MDK 2: Requires compatibility mode if launcher doesn't find any valid mode.

Deus Ex: May require DSound wrappers like DSOAL if you are stuck on a black screen. For other problems, follow guide of Unreal Tournament. Please not that .ini filenames are that of the game executable file

Rune: Similar to Deus Ex, may require DSound wrappers like DSOAL if you are stuck on a black screen. For other problems, follow guide of Unreal Tournament. Please not that .ini filenames are that of the game executable file

Hitman Codename 47: Requires latest patch(SP1A) with no-CD(German crack for SPq from gamecopyworld worked fine for English too). Changing resolution with dgVoodoo or nGlide may make game glitchy.

Carmageddon 2(release by Interplay): Works on Glide mode. Requires the WinXP executable for running on the current Windows OSes. Use the .exe file for Software Mode from the Sold Out Software version of the game.

Counter-Strike Beta Versions: Doesn't have many problems but in order to access D3D5 and Glide, follow Half-Life fix.

Zuma Deluxe

Grand Theft Auto III

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2: May require a different d3d8.dll in case you get unknown graphics error.

Half-Life 2(DX6, DX7, DX8)

Motocross Madness

User Added:-
If you don't get the game you are looking for, you should check here:

Re: [Updated on 16/05/20]List of pre-DX8 games running on Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 without game mods

Re: [Updated on 20/05/20]List of pre-DX8 games running on Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 without game mods

Luck Dependant:-

The Need for Speed Special Edition(Windows): Go to Re: The Need for Speed Special Edition for Windows doesn't work

Semi-playable:-

Quake: Software and OpenGL worked fine. Glide mode with the wrappers is bugged.

The Ultimate Doom: Mouse view doesn't work.

Doom 95: Requires a modern ddraw.dll in game folder for proper colour. Mouse view doesn't work

I will update the list more later.

Last edited by Discrete_BOB_058 on 2020-05-24, 04:36. Edited 19 times in total.

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

PC SPECS:-
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti OC Edition
RAM: 8GB*2 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus B450M
PSU: Corsair VX550
Sound Card: Realtek ALC892

Reply 1 of 22, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New entries:

Midtown Madness
Project I.G.I.
Project I.G.I.-2
MDK 2

Refer to the first post for any required instructions

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 2 of 22, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mouse view didn't work for Quake on default but you can enable it by the game console

Last edited by Discrete_BOB_058 on 2020-05-04, 18:01. Edited 2 times in total.

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 3 of 22, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New entries:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Requires nGlide or dgVoodoo
Prince of Persia 3D: Requires different DirectX APIs, dgVoodoo works well.

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 4 of 22, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Mouse acceleration" means something specific (and has its own compatibility issues) so you probably shouldn't use it to describe whether or not the mouse is working.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Mo … se_acceleration

Reply 5 of 22, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2020-05-04, 11:11:

"Mouse acceleration" means something specific (and has its own compatibility issues) so you probably shouldn't use it to describe whether or not the mouse is working.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Mo … se_acceleration

Ok thanks, i have edited the post

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 6 of 22, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it is more meaningful to call out Windows 10 on its own, especially Windows 10 x64. For myself, I skipped Win8/8.1 all together and jumped from Win7 to Win10. A handful of my collection of pre-DX8 games won't run on Windows 10 when they run normally with just the compatibility layer on Win7. They either quit back to desktop or simply stuck in the TaskManager with "not responding". Yes, dgVoodoo2 helps for some of those games on Windows 10.

And, Windows 10 default installation does not include legacy DirectPlay component. If the games were linked with DPLAY.DLL, then it would not start. Many old games hacks/patches/mods were focus for WinXP, some of them still apply for Win7, including the very helpful nGlide compatibility list that helps to get Glide games going on modern systems.

I used to have an installation of Win10 x32 and I found that legacy Windows games compatibility was better with x32 version, but I didn't keep the system long enough to check out others that I later found issues with Win10 x64. My transition WinXP->Vista->Win7 (all 32-bit version) did not observe any game compatibility issues for those games that I played without the need of dgVoodoo2. Later with Win7 64-bit, it was still OK. Only with Windows 10 x64 that I found most of those games stopped working.

Reply 7 of 22, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last time I had Windows 7 installed, I found that using the same workarounds as on Windows 10 was required. Newer graphic card and drivers had broken most of the same games that newer versions of Windows had. IMO Windows 7 is only significantly different compatibility wise than Windows 10 if you also have legacy hardware and drivers.

Reply 8 of 22, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2020-05-05, 07:09:

Last time I had Windows 7 installed, I found that using the same workarounds as on Windows 10 was required. Newer graphic card and drivers had broken most of the same games that newer versions of Windows had. IMO Windows 7 is only significantly different compatibility wise than Windows 10 if you also have legacy hardware and drivers.

Yes windows 7 and 8 and also 8.1 were different with other drivers.I used a Intel HD graphics on my Win8.1 x64 machine and NFS3 wouldn't boot unlike it would work on Win10 x64 machine.
Moreover I found DirectX compatibility issues(black screen) on my main PC with NFSHS as I did most of the research on Win8.1. Apart from drivers, it seems it was also hardware bound with same drivers.

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 9 of 22, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2020-05-04, 23:19:

I think it is more meaningful to call out Windows 10 on its own, especially Windows 10 x64. For myself, I skipped Win8/8.1 all together and jumped from Win7 to Win10. A handful of my collection of pre-DX8 games won't run on Windows 10 when they run normally with just the compatibility layer on Win7. They either quit back to desktop or simply stuck in the TaskManager with "not responding". Yes, dgVoodoo2 helps for some of those games on Windows 10.

And, Windows 10 default installation does not include legacy DirectPlay component. If the games were linked with DPLAY.DLL, then it would not start. Many old games hacks/patches/mods were focus for WinXP, some of them still apply for Win7, including the very helpful nGlide compatibility list that helps to get Glide games going on modern systems.

I used to have an installation of Win10 x32 and I found that legacy Windows games compatibility was better with x32 version, but I didn't keep the system long enough to check out others that I later found issues with Win10 x64. My transition WinXP->Vista->Win7 (all 32-bit version) did not observe any game compatibility issues for those games that I played without the need of dgVoodoo2. Later with Win7 64-bit, it was still OK. Only with Windows 10 x64 that I found most of those games stopped working.

DPLAY.dll is still available on Windows 10 on the Legacy Components section. There might be some games that would require different DPLAY.dll. In that case I would recommend you to use the one provided in the directx setup in game disk.

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 10 of 22, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New entries:

Deus Ex
Rune
Hitman Codename 47

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 11 of 22, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New entries:

Carmageddon 2
Changed some information on how to run Prince of Persia 3D

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 12 of 22, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New entry :

All Counter-Strike Beta versions

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 13 of 22, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are entire websites dedicated to things like this (ntcompatible, pcgamingwiki, etc.).
Do we really need a random list posted here?
Also, Diablo (the very first item on this list) has serious issues on both Win7 and Win8...

Reply 14 of 22, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aqrit wrote on 2020-05-11, 20:38:

There are entire websites dedicated to things like this (ntcompatible, pcgamingwiki, etc.).
Do we really need a random list posted here?
Also, Diablo (the very first item on this list) has serious issues on both Win7 and Win8...

Diablo doesnt have a specific fix and as you said about its issues on Win8 and Win7, I created it as I can get feedback from people with different problems how they fixed it

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 15 of 22, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New entries :

Zuma Deluxe
The Need for Speed Special Edition

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 16 of 22, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This will end up a very big list 😉
Airfix: Dogfighter
Aliens vs Predator
Bang! Gunship Elite
Combat Flight Simulator 1 + 2
Descent 3
Freespace 1 + 2
Wheel of Time
ps: i dont think Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a pre dx8 game (released 2001)

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 17 of 22, by Discrete_BOB_058

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote on 2020-05-16, 23:00:
This will end up a very big list ;) Airfix: Dogfighter Aliens vs Predator Bang! Gunship Elite Combat Flight Simulator 1 + 2 Desc […]
Show full quote

This will end up a very big list 😉
Airfix: Dogfighter
Aliens vs Predator
Bang! Gunship Elite
Combat Flight Simulator 1 + 2
Descent 3
Freespace 1 + 2
Wheel of Time
ps: i dont think Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a pre dx8 game (released 2001)

OK I added them up in my list. If you/GOG have used any wrapper for this or any compatibility patch, you can edit your post to add them. That will be more helpful for those who dont use the GOG version of the games.
And yes Return to Castle Wolfenstein was OpenGL game, so I removed it

YouTube Channel:
DEADHistory Walkthroughs

Reply 18 of 22, by Davros

User metadata