First post, by Discrete_BOB_058
What is this?
This is a list of RETAIL games released for Windows 95 until Windows XP(not DX9) that work under Windows 7(maybe Vista too) and later operating systems. This list only includes retail releases, and no fixed re-release by Steam or GoG. The games listed are made on APIs made before OpenGL 2.0 and Direct3D 8.1b and utilising the IA-32 architecture.
Can I post my games?
You may find the following rules bizzare but if you have any game to share, you can post in this thread.
- The games here aren't tested on an OS prior to 'Windows 7'.
- The games that require patches to run should be limited to using emulators, shims, a required modified .dll file, or any other CMD command like disabling DEP.
- Games can use update patches and no-CD.
- Game mods change the original form of the game, so please try to avoid games fixed using 3rd party mods. If the game is unplayable without 3rd party mods, then mention them here and I will add them in a 'Playable with Mods' category.
- Games having problems with DInput or DSound can be mentioned here, with the respective fix.
- Some problems exist in games and not in the system. For example, FOV bugs and crosshair bugs on higher resolutions, are game problems and are not because of the modern system. Such problems are not fixed here. The fixes here are for running the game through the original resolution and configuration in game.
Windows 10 19H2 and later
nVIDIA GTX 1050Ti and GT 710
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and Intel Pentium G2020
Realtek HD Audio
GPU driver: After 440.64
Audio driver: After June 2019 (6.x)
Alcohol 120%(when I don't have the retail copy)
dgVoodoo v2.61 and later
DirectDraw Compatibility Tool
- Some games have problems when pausing/playing CD Audio. Use the 'CDAudio Proxy' or 'DxWnd' wrapper to play the audio from the PC storage disk. Extract the files from the CD in formats like '.wav', '.flac' and rename all the files starting with 'track02', followed by 'track03', 'track04'. Don't name the first track 'track01', it has to start with 'track02'. Put the files in a folder 'Music' besides the MAIN executable file, not any launcher. If the game has multiple CDs, then put the tracks of the first CD in 'Music' directory, second CD in 'Music02' directory, third CD in 'Music03 directory', n'th CD in 'Musicnn' directory. I wrote it if you can't find the topic or you are lazy to look for it.
- Some games have wrong shims applied to them and refuse to launch or run properly. In that case, rename the game executable(s).
- Some games don't run because of DEP enabled. If you face problems in running any of these games, try disabling DEP both in Windows and also in BIOS and then try to run the game.
- Intel HD Graphics and AMD Radeon users may have problems in using dgVoodoo, DxWnd or DXGL because of incompatible drivers. If the required emulated API is DirectDraw, other alternatives like 'aqrit's ddwrapper', 'DDrawCompat' may be used. If the required API is Direct3D, it may be harder to find the required compatible .dll for the game. In these cases, the only fix is to use a mod.
- dgVoodoo emulates the old API in D3D11/D3D12 so performance may be worse on old/weak hardware. In such cases, a different wrapper should be used.
- Every PC has different applications installed, different drivers, different hardware. There is no surety that it will work on every PC, but at least this list can confirm that a certain game can run on the mentioned operating systems. For a general requirement, I would say most of these fixes should work fine on AMD Catalyst driver or Nvidia driver after 2017?(not quite sure).
I am converting the game list which doesn't require mods, into a online spreadsheet, and is currently locked to be accessed by me. In future, I will unlock this list so that everyone can access. For now, if you want to contribute games, just comment here.
Here is the link.
Colour codes with a rating are used to determine a playability level:
S, Green= Perfect
A, colour code 'c7ee60'= Good(perfect but some things don't work, like a intro video, a in game setting, etc.)
B, yellow= Average(good but with many issues, game not running in fullscreen mode, having to change from fullscreen to windowed back and forth, bad performance, etc.) ,
C, orange= Bad(graphical bugs, uncertain compatibility with your PC, unplayable, etc)
D, red= Doesn't work
These games work fine, they can be completed.
If game doesn't work, try changing resolution, backend or video card(available in dgVoodoo). nGlide is prioritised over dgVoodoo for these games to work properly.
- John Romero's Daikatana: Install patch v1.2. OpenGL Default and Voodoo Mini ICD(through nGlide) is supported whereas PVR Mini ICD isn't since no PowerVR GPU emulators exist(as of now).
- Myth The Fallen Lords: If you get error regarding memory, set compatibility to Windows XP SP3. For Glide mode, use nGlide.
- Myth 3 The Wolf Age: Latest version of QuickTime Player may be required for the video to be playable.
- Incoming (3Dfx Version-Creative Blaster 3D) :
Had to install on a VM for the files. You might be able to install the game through the OTVDM software.
- Need for Speed 2 Special Edition: Game can be installed by copying all the files and renaming 'INSTALL.NFS' to 'INSTALL.WIN'. Requires a compatibility
.sdb file to fix a lot of issues. Glide emulation works fine. You need a DSound.dll to fix cracking sound. Software mode also worked fine.
Required files can be found here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/qor5x7z07vx8lg … 2sefix.zip/file
- Call of Duty
- Heretic II: Game won't run on VeriteGL; G200GL defaults to Software; as both can't be emulated. If game crashes on non-Tutorial modes, then start a Tutorial and then start the Adventure/Action/Armageddon mode. For Saved Games, it may be possible to load directly without loading a tutorial.
- Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2: Install patch v1.02 and a crack. If unstable framerate and stuttering is experienced, rename 'fakk2.exe' to 'quake3.exe'. Some hardwares or drivers will glitch the shadows, lights and other graphical elements, this may be fixed by disabling 'Use Vertex Lightning'.
- MDK 2: Install patch v4000.3. Requires compatibility mode if launcher doesn't find any valid mode.
- Quake: Software and OpenGL worked fine. Glide mode is bugged.
- Quake 2
- Quake 3 Arena
- Quake 3 Team Arena
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein Platinum Edition: If you use OpenGL by using 3Dfx Mini Driver(Glide), you may get some issues on higher resolution if you change that setting in game.
- Soldier of Fortune Platinum Edition: Copy 'SoF.exe' from the game directory and paste it in the same directory with a name 'mohaa.exe'. Launch the game with 'mohaa.exe'.
- Soldier of Fortune II Double Helix Gold Edition
- Star Wars Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast
- Wolfenstein Enemy Territory
- Direct3D/DirectDraw(not Software DDraw)
If you get garbled graphics and colour under Windows Vista or 7, use DirectDraw Compatibility Tool. If game doesn't work, use dgVoodoo. Also if it still doesn't work, change(normally decrease) resolution, video memory, and or the selected videocard. If you use DxWnd, there should be a profile for the game in 'exports' folder. In case it doesn't, try something yourself, or let us know here.
- Age of Empires
- Age of Empires II The Age of Kings
- Age of Empires II The Conquerors
- Age of Sail II
- Age of Sail II: Privateer's Bounty: If the game doesn't load, then launch the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP.
- American McGee's Alice: A no-CD is required.
- Animorphs Know the Secret: If the game crashes after the intro video, then use dgVoodoo 2. DDrawCompat should work too but it may introduce some texture issues.
- Atomic Bomberman
- Baldur's Gate: If game crashes after intro video, try installing the game on a lower level of directory tree. This happens when the paths in 'baldur.ini' are too long.
- Baldur's Gate 2 Shadows of Amn
- Bedrock Bowling
- Bejeweled Deluxe
- Black and White: Install v1.2 patch followed by a no-CD crack. Execute 'runblack.exe' as administrator or else configuration will not be applied. If the configurator doesn't allow you to choose colour depth, then use a different 'ddraw.dll' such as the one from dgVoodoo or DDrawCompat. Changing the 'ddraw.dll' or running the game with higher/lower graphics settings along with administrator privileges can also be used to remedy low framerate issues.
- Bugs Bunny Lost in Time: Use DDrawCompat if the resolution options aren't available in 'Settings' or if you face graphical glitches or stutters.
- Carmageddon(Win95): Use dgVoodoo MS libs if game crashes. The menu will flash and if you move mouse, the menu graphics will get corrupted, when using dgVoodoo at least. But during race, I didn't find any problem.
- Claw: Install 1.3 patch.
- Colin McRae Rally: If setup.exe doesn't work, use the one provided in the Setup folder. Patch the game to the latest version. If video doesn't work, register Indeo by following this guide: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Colin_McRae … dows_7_or_later
Change compatibility settings of rally.exe to Windows 98 and set it to run as administrator. Also set game.exe to run as adnistrator. You can start the game with both game.exe or rally.exe now, but for video playback, use game.exe. You can also skip the Indeo registration part and also set game.exe to Windows 98 compatibility mode and video will work, but rally.exe won't be redirected to from game.exe.
- Colin McRae Rally 2.0: Use a no-CD crack. If you get any flickering, use DDrawCompat.
- Command and Conquer Red Alert: Copy the 'INSTALL' folder and paste it somewhere to install the game if you can't install it on 32-bit OS with Windows 98 compatibility or 64-bit OS with OTVDM. If you copy the folder, then you have to install registries available at:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/x0sj7j4rtu1717y … gistry.zip/file
After downloading, extract both files and then edit either of the x86 and x64 file depending on PC architecture using a text editor. Edit the path for the 'InstallPath' key with your location of the game executable. Also it requires the patch 3.03.
- Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun: Install v2.03 patch. Set administrator privileges to 'Game.exe'. Put the 'ddraw.dll' from DDrawCompat or else the menu will freeze. dgVoodoo's 'ddraw.dll' may also work in some cases. If the scrolling is too fast, download this patch and paste it in the game directory. These files were taken from the 'TSPatch', these only contain the scrolling fix. After you paste the files, first start the game using 'Game.exe', quit it, then start with 'launchgame.exe'.
- Darkstone: If game gets stuck in one corner of screen, set compatibility to 16-bit colors and run the game. Then you can turn the compatibility setting off again.
- Dark Vengeance: Run 'Setup.exe' using Windows 95 compatibility mode. Install v1.2 patch and a no-CD crack. If game doesn't work in 3D mode, use DDrawCompat or dgVoodoo to run it in Direct3D mode. The RBI 8-bit mode doesn't work(for me at least).
- Daytona USA Deluxe: For installation, copy the 'game' folder to any location from the CD. Set color settings to 16 bit in compatibility tab.
- Diablo: Re: Access Violation in Diablo
- Dino Crisis (MediaKite)
- Disney's Villains' Revenge
- Donald Duck Goin' Quackers: Edit the executable file using the tutorial here
- Dungeon Keeper Gold Edition: For the DirectDraw versions, if games don't work and you get a black screen, use dgVoodoo. If you want to play the Direct3D version of either of the games, use DxWnd and use the .dxw profile provided in the 'exports' folder of the software.
- Dungeon Keeper 2: Update to v1.7 and use a no-CD crack or the executable from GOG. If you run the game without the CD, many audio and videos will be missing; to fix this, copy all the files and folders of the 'Data' folder from the CD to the game 'Data' folder but do not overwrite. Run 'DKII.exe' on compatibility setting as Windows XP SP2. If you get 0xc0000142 error, rename 'DKII.exe' to something else and then run it. If the mentor voice doesn't work and you get only the subtitles, then make sure the Speaker Configuration is set to Stereo and not Headphones, in-game.
- EA Sports Cricket 05
- EA Sports Cricket 07
- Edgar Torronteras' eXtreme Biker: Install the Upgrade 3 patch. Use dgVoodoo 2 or DDrawCompat to run the game if the game crashes with 'Generic D3D error', or an error saying that a default resolution is not selected, or any such errors.
- Ed Hunter: Run the game as an administrator.
- Expendable: Create a shortcut for 'go.exe' and add the parameter '-nocputest'. Also look in the 'Expendable.exe' for the resolution and make sure it is a valid resolution.
- Fallout A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game: If you get 'Failure initializing input devices' error message, delete the 'ddraw.dll' from the game directory if it exists. If you need a custom 'ddraw.dll' for any reason, then you need to see which ones work and don't trigger the error (GOG DirectDraw works fine). If you get any error regarding low disk space, open 'fallout.cfg' and change the line 'free_space=20480' to 'free_space=0'. If the file doesn't exist, try restarting PC or change compatibility settings to any OS after Windows XP SP2.
- Fallout 2: If you get an error regarding disk space, open 'fallout2.cfg' and edit the line that reads 'free_space=?' to 'free_space=0'. If the line doesn't exist, add it under [system]. If the file doesn't exist, try restarting PC or change compatibility settings to any OS after Windows XP SP2.
- Final Fantasy VII: Use v1.02 patch for hardware acceleration.
- Final Fantasy VIII: If you need 8-bit paletted textures, use dgVoodoo. Don't install any update to the game.
- Flying Heroes: Install patch v1.10 followed by a no-CD crack.
- Flying Heroes Demo
- Frogger : To fix the soundtrack playback issue, download these modified files.
- Grand Theft Auto: If game lags, increase resolution in game.
- Grand Theft Auto III
- Grand Theft Auto Vice City
- Half-Life 2
- Heart of Darkness: In some cases, this game may refuse to run because of DEP being enabled. Turn off DEP in Windows and also in BIOS and then try to run the game.
- Hexen95: You don't need to install the game, simply copy the files. Set the compatibility to Windows 95 only for 'HEXEN95.EXE'. If you get an error saying that no suitable video boards were found, then use DDraw wrapper from dgVoodoo.
- HyperBlade: Install patch 184.108.40.206 and you can run the game. Use -x parameter to run the game in software mode. The game menu works fine and you get to the gameplay where you may find the game extremely fast. Also the textures kept shaking in Software mode when I tested. The game may work or may be glitchy with Windows DX libs on DirectDraw mode. Use DxWnd and you won't have much problem. Also using DxWnd in fullscreen mode will be better as you may get an object and texture misallignment(taking your cursor over an option but the option is somewhere left, right,...). But still in full screen mode, the top part of the game window may get cut and disallow you to see the time.
dgVoodoo can also be used but you may experience frozen screen on full screen mode(mine froze until match starts). Enable the option to toggle between fullscreen and windowed in dgVoodoo DirectX tab, and the game will work fine on windowed mode, and then you can switch to fullscreen mode. But still you may need to change from windowed to fullscreen when you change screens in game. This is the best way to play the game, although the menu may still get frozen when changing from windowed to fullscreen.
- Infestation (2000): If you can't save the game, then go to the following registry directory on Registry Editor - [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Frontier Developments Ltd\Infestation] and check for the string 'Game Path'. The game path data should be wrong, for example in my case, it was 'Program Files' instead of 'Program Files (x86)'. Just correct the string data and the game should save. Also if it doesn't help, try launching the game with administrator privileges along with the registry edit. Remember that editing the game path may make the uninstaller unable to find the path and even reverting to the original string data may not fix the uninstaller problem, to counter this, check if the game set the correct path in registry after the first run, if not then delete the string 'Game Path' and launch again. If it is not fixed, the reinstall the game somewhere. In some cases the uninstaller may be able to uninstall after you change the string data and then revert the data back again.
- Jack Jazzrabbit 2: You may need dgVoodoo while running in full screen DDraw mode as without it you may get reduced performance.
- James Bond 007 Nightfire: Install patch v1.1 and a no-CD crack. Having the framerate above 110 will cause many problems, thus cap the framerate below 110.
- MechCommander Gold: Just copy the files off the disk and open 'MCX.exe' to start the game.
- MechCommander 2: Delete 'badcard.csv' and 'vidcard.csv' from the game directory. If you can't get fullscreen mode, run the game as administrator. If the mouse is invisible, disable Hardware Mouse Update under Graphics; the cursor will then become visible again.
- MechWarrior 3: If the game doesn't run, try dgVoodoo or DxWnd. I have seen DirectDraw doesn't work on Windows DX or dgVoodoo, but DxWnd works for it. Also Direct3D worked for me without any emulator, but if it doesn't then use dgVoodoo over DxWnd because the game was not changing modes from DirectDraw to Direct3D in DxWnd(just in case game sets it to DDraw). DxWnd(v2.05.27 was used by me) doesn't hook fullscreen properly, maybe a software problem for this app or the game or a hardware problem or some problem on my end; the .dxw profile is provided with the app in 'exports' folder.
- Metal Gear Solid: You may need the no-CD executable for 'GeForce 6' cards; normal no-CD may not allow to load the game completely or the game may crash. Captions may slowdown the game, either turn off the
captions or use dgVoodoo/DXGL. If the game doesn't start because of an error in software rendering mode, the fix is to launch the game with Windows 98 compatibility and windowed mode(using '-w' parameter), if the game launches, you could then go to the settings for graphics and select 'Software Rendering' in order to get fullscreen mode again.
- Michelin Rally Masters Race of Champions: Use a no-CD crack. If the sound doesn't work, pause the game and resume it. For a crash, use dgVoodoo and set card to 'GeForce4 Ti 4800' and VRAM to 64MB. WineD3D can also be used instead.
- Midtown Madness: Requires the latest official patch and a no-CD crack. The no-CD crack is then renamed to 'MidtownMadness.exe'. The game might not get hardware acceleration if the executable spelling is 'midtown.exe'. If 'midtown.exe' has problem in getting hardware acceleration and if you get italicised options in graphics menu of the game, then you have to rename the game executable and use dgVoodoo for DX6 which is required by the game. If game runs slow, go to Task Manager, go to Details tab, search for 'MidtownMadness.exe' process and set affinity to all processors or select Core 0 and Core 1 (or any two cores). To fix resumability of CD tracks, use CDProxy Audio and follow the tutorial in 'Additional Information'. If the menu sound and music no longer plays, then have to go Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound -> Playback tab, and only keep the output device for the game enabled, disabling the other devices.
- Midtown Madness 2
- Monster Truck Madness: If you get an error regarding writing to 'Monster.INF', run the game as administrator. If the game graphics aren't rendered, then use dgVoodoo with 'GeForce4 Ti 4800' videocard option. If Software renderer on dgVoodoo gives a black screen, switch to Windowed mode. Alternatively, DxWnd can be used for fullscreen DirectDraw.
- Motocross Madness
- Motocross Madness 2: You need a no-CD first, then use dgVoodoo if game doesn't start. Also you may need to paste a 'd3drm.dll' in the game directory, you can get it here.
- Moto Racer: You need to set compatibility to use 16 bit colours in Compatibility tab. After that, in case running the game doesn't render graphics properly, like no bikes or roads, then use dgVoodoo.
- Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2: May require a different d3d8.dll in case you get unknown graphics error.
- Nocturne: Run the game in Windows 98 compatibility if you get 0.0MB disk space error, the loading will be a little faster. If you get error 'D3DERR_ELIFINO: An unknown D3D error occured' or the game crashes, then install the latest patch of the game. If the intro video music is hearable but you can't see the video, then install Ligos Indeo v5.11.
- Prince of Persia 3D: Install the latest patch and then a no-CD crack. If you have black video, install latest QuickTime, if the game crashes use dgVoodoo on 'DEFAULT' resolution. Latest version of QuickTime and dgVoodoo is recommended if problems exist.
- Project I.G.I.
- Project I.G.I.-2
- Rebel Moon Rising: Use dgVoodoo or DDrawCompat to fix performance issues.
- Resident Evil 2: The game doesn't get to a resolution higher than 320x240 using the ResidentEvil2.exe but it does on the LeonU or the ClaireU executables.
- Resident Evil 3: Textures are blocky on high resolutions, unfixable problem since its release.
- SimCity 3000: Performance issues are fixed by dgVoodoo or use this. Video doesn't work.
- South Park Rally
- Star Wars Episode I Battle for Naboo
- Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I Racer: Use WineD3D or dgVoodoo if graphics are missing.
- Star Wars Force Commander: Use dgVoodoo. If you can't change resolution in 'Force.exe', put 'ddraw.dll' from DDrawCompat besides this executable. Hardware Cursor may make cursor invisible so you may want to disable this feature.
- Star Wars Galatic Battlegrounds Saga
- Star Wars Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2: If game doesn't run, create a copy of 'JK.exe' in the game directory and launch using the copied file. The name of the copied file cannot be the same as 'JK.exe'.
- Star Wars Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith: If game doesn't run, create a copy of 'JKM.exe' in the game directory and launch using the copied file. The name of the copied file cannot be the same as 'JK.exe'.
- Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
- Star Wars Shadows of the Empire Demo
- Star Wars Starfighter
- Star Wars X-Wing Alliance: If your controller doesn't work, rename 'alliance.exe' to something else and also rename 'xwingalliance.exe' to 'alliance.exe'. Launch using the new file named 'alliance.exe'.
- Stronghold Crusader
- Tanktics: If game crashes, use DDrawCompat.
- Terracide: Download these modified files which will allow the game to be run. After you paste these files, you can either run the game in D3D, Software or MMX mode. You need both dgVoodoo and DxWnd to run the game. First you need to put the 'd3dimm.dll' and 'ddraw.dll' from dgVoodoo to the game directory, DON'T put any other DX files as it may make DxWnd unstable. Now launch DxWnd and import this profile and edit the correct paths in its settings. To get CD Audio, see 'Additional Infromation' section.
- Test Drive 6: Copied from PCGamingWiki :Download the Windows Media Source Filter Installer v1.7. Extract the contents from the .zip file into a folder. Copy drmclien.dll into the game's installation folder. Make a new directory in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ called Windows-Media-Source-Filter. Copy drmclien.dll, strmdll.dll and dxmasf.dll from the .zip file to the Windows-Media-Source-Filter folder. Run DSFMgr.exe as administrator and register the dxmasf.dll in the Windows-Media-Source-Filter folder. Download the DivX 3.11 audio codec. Extract the contents from the .zip file into a folder. Run DivX_Register.exe as Administrator.' Also you may need to copy 'strmdll.dll' to game directory. If game graphics are glitchy or flickers, use DDrawCompat emulator. dgVoodoo can also be used to fix the graphics problem. If you want to get 16-bit resolutions, use dgVoodoo. Using dgVoodoo may cause some resolutions to be missing as the game can only support a limited number of resolutions.
- Test Drive Off-Road 2(DirectDraw): Use this patch along with dgVoodoo.
- The Operative No One Lives Forever: Install patch v1.003 followed by patch v1.004. Cap the frame rate to 60fps. Slowdowns and graphical glitches can be fixed by dgVoodoo.
- The War in Heaven: Run the game with Windows 98 compatibility, or else the sound may continue to play after exiting the game. Install both the v1.06 patches which increases performance, if necessary.
- Tomb Raider II
- Turok 2 Seeds of Evil: To fix the no CD-Audio issue, refer here
- V-Rally 2 Expert Edition: Run the setup with Windows 98 compatibility. Run the configurator with Windows 95 compatibility. In case the game video freezes, the distance textures are black and the game menu is glitchy with high resolutions from the configurator, these problems can be fixed by dgVoodoo.
- Vietnam Black Ops: If game crashes or lags or you experience a black screen, use dgVoodoo. If you face problems in changing the resolution, change from the 'autoexec.cfg' by editing the values of 'screenwidth' and 'screenheight'. After saving, you could make the file read-only, so that game doesn't revert the settings automatically. If Options/Display/Change Mode gets you to a screen without any interactive option, then do a Alt+Tab and then return to the game again; then the menu there should work fine. Colour depth setting is buggy, both in-game and also in the configuration file; the option in the game settings either doesn't make a difference in the configuration file or vice-versa and also I can't see the colour difference.
- Warcraft II Battle.net Edition
- War Wind: Copy 'WARWIND' folder from CD to any location for installation purpose.
- Zuma Deluxe
Copy and paste the 'WING.DLL' to SysWOW64(if it exists) and System32(on 32-bit systems) for WinG titles. Some games may require the file in their game directory, and some doesn't want it. Put them if required or remove them.
- Pitfall The Mayan Adventure: To get the Sound Effects, you need to run the game from your PC storage disk. Copy the 'PITFALL' directory, i.e., the whole disk to any location on your PC storage disk. Then set the compatibility for 'PITFALL.EXE' to Windows 95. After that replace the 'WAIL32.DLL' in the 'ASSETS' folder with this file or else the game will freeze. If you want to get the intro video running which uses Indeo, then make '.reg' files for these two registry edits provided by DeeDee. Remember that Microsoft disabled Indeo for security concerns so you may want to disable it later. To disable it, make '.reg' files for these two registry edits. If you don't want to make the registry edits, alternatively you can convert the file to Cinepak using the code given by xcomcmdr. Don't forget to remove the 'WOW6432Node' from the registry path if you are using a 32-bit operating system. Also launch the game with 'PITFALL.EXE' as 'PITSTART.EXE' can't launch the game from the PC storage disk, also ignore any errors when you launch the game.
- Star Trek Starship Creator Warp II
- Star Wars Yoda Stories: Download the latest WaveMix and replace the 'WAVMIX32.DLL' with the new file in the download.
- Time Gate Knight's Chase: Copy the 'WING.DLL' from 'WING' folder of the game to System32 and SysWOW64.
- Multiple APIs
These games have multiple APIs, that include those from above. If any game has problems in Software mode, try the fix mentioned for Direct3D/DirectDraw.
- 4x4 Evolution: Run the game in Windows 98 compatibility if you get 0.0MB disk space error, the loading will be a little faster. Installing patch build 57 is recommended as I tested the game on this version. GeForce 3 patch for D3D8 also works fine.
- 4x4 Evolution 2: Run the game in Windows 98 compatibility if you get 0.0MB disk space error, the loading will also be a little faster.
- Blade of Darkness: Install dgVoodoo. 'r3Dfx Voodoo 1-2' uses Glide for which you need the Glide .dll files. Any other option uses D3D .dll files; all listed video cards being compatible with dgVoodoo.
- Carmageddon 2(release by Interplay): Works fine on Glide mode. Requires the WinXP executable for running on the current Windows OSes. Use the .exe file for Software Mode from the Sold Out Software version of the game. Direct3D doesn't work sometimes. Files are available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/p1kykinwfwkvgj3 … tables.zip/file.
- Codename Eagle: Update the game to version 1.42. Use dgVoodoo if game crashes with a message like 'InitD3D fails' in D3D mode. If you are using Glide, use nGlide as it works fine along with a different 'DDraw.dll' which you would put in your game directory. Otherwise when you pause the game, it may freeze. dgVoodoo's 'DDraw.dll' works the best but others such as 'aqrit's ddwrapper' or 'DDrawCompat' will still work but pausing the game may minimize the game and in some cases make the menu unresponsive or crash.
- Counter-Strike Beta Versions: Follow Half-Life fix.
- Descent 3: Installed US patch v1.4 first. If you have graphical glitches in Glide or Direct3D, use dgVoodoo.
- Descent Freespace - The Great War
- Deus Ex: May require DirectSound wrappers like DSOAL if you are stuck on a black screen. For other problems, follow guide of Unreal Tournament. Please note that .ini filenames are that of the game executable file.
- Diablo 2: DirectDraw and Glide mode works fine, with native Windows libs and Glide. But Direct3D doesn't work anyway until you update the game using the Battle.net option in game. After you update the game, you can use Direct3D but you will lose DirectDraw and Glide support.
- Disney's Tarzan: If the sound crack, use this replacement 'dsound.dll'. Use CDProxy Audio to fix the problem of ingame level music not repeating.
- Far Cry
- FIFA 2000: To change renderer, in registry, go to HKLM/Software/EA SPORTS/FIFA 2000 or HKLM/Software/WOW6432Node/EA SPORTS/FIFA 2000. To change to Glide, set Thrash Driver to 'voodoo' or 'voodoo2', set D3D Device to 0 and choose 3D Card and 3D Device Description from a list available in 3DSetup/3DSetup.ini of the game folder. You can set DirectX and Software Renderer from the 3DSetup.exe.
- Half-Life: Works properly on OpenGL. Glide mode gets buggy when game is paused. Direct3D mode works fine but Software mode probably doesn't.
- Half-Life Blue Shift: Same as Half-Life.
- Half-Life Decay: Same as Half-Life.
- Half-Life Opposing Force: Same as Half-Life.
- Heavy Gear
- Hitman Codename 47: Requires latest patch(SP1A) with no-CD(abra's crack worked fine).
- Homeworld: Glide and OpenGL mode didn't work for me, but the required OpenGL fix requires Windows 95/98, so it may not be possible to run on OpenGL or Glide mode. Software and D3D mode works fine.
- Jane's ATF Advanced Tactical Fighters Gold: Install 'Patch 2' or else the game may randomly crash. Set the game to launch in compatibility mode for Windows 98.
- Jane's WWII Fighters: The game should run fine directly after install (The version that I use is 1.03F, this is probably the base version of the game too). If you lose the cursor while running the game in Direct3D mode, then use dgVoodoo2 and it should retain the cursor.
- Joint Strike Fighter: The game can use Direct3D but only when you have Glide installed. Probably uses Glide D3D.
- Mortal Kombat 4: If you can't install game, then copy DATA folder and paste it anywhere. Then use http://www.mediafire.com/file/k4kmkc3ig10wt6o … k4_reg.zip/file registry fix for x86 or x64 OS. After you extract the file, open either of the x86 or x64 .reg file depending on OS architecture and change the value of path to the location of the executable file in the copied DATA folder, and remember to use double slash, for example, put 'E:\\DATA' in 'Path' registry if your game .exe location is in 'E:\DATA'. If you have Glide installed, then you can't change to Direct3D because Glide cards in 1997 didn't support D3D5 that the game also supports. If you uninstall Glide, the game will be in Windowed Software mode(just because the game thinks you still have that Glide card in). The way to get D3D mode back is to try setting the color compatibility to 16-bit, or change OS compatibility to something like WinXPSP3. Then launch the game and you should have D3D mode back. Thereafter, you can turn off compatibility settings again. If you reinstall Glide, you will lose D3D mode again.
- Monster Truck Madness 2: If you 't install the game, then copy all files and folders of the game, except the 'SETUP.EXE'. Then use this executable e to run the game: http://www.mediafire.com/file/j9f6xqc81tjbhr8 … onster.rar/file
- Myth II Soulblighter
- Need for Speed III Hot Pursuit: Requires a registry fix and a install.win file to run the game on 64-bit OS as installer doesn't work. It might function under OTVDM but I didn't try. After installing, the game can run in both Glide and D3D mode. Software mode works fine. Files you need are here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qtt95ln9pqgpbso … patfix.rar/file
- Need for Speed IV High Stakes: Install the v4.50 patch and a no-CD crack. To use 3DSetup, rename the executable file to something else(if you don't get options other than Software Renderer, use the registry file from the download to use the other options). The game runs fine on Glide API with nGlide or dgVoodoo. The software mode also works fine and also you can use dgVoodoo for it if it doesn't work. The biggest problem is the D3D6 mode, it doesn't work, UNTIL you replace the 'd3da.dll' with some newer file version, like the one from NFSPU or NFSHP2. The Direct3D7 and Direct3D8 renderer of the respective games run High Stakes without problems, even if you face problem, dgVoodoo will fix it. The NFS3 'd3da.dll' also works sometimes but it gives broken visuals. If you can't run the game due to some memory problem, install the 'NFS4 Mercury Patch'. Required files excluding the 'NFS4 Mercury Patch' are here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/xjgdenmjdizihf … hs-fix.zip/file
- Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed: Requires latest patch and a no-CD crack. Glide and D3D mode works fine. May need to use Compatibility settings if game crashes before main menu.
- Rune: Similar to Deus Ex, may require DirectSound wrappers like DSOAL if you are stuck on a black screen. For other problems, follow guide of Unreal Tournament. Please not that .ini filenames are that of the game executable file.
- Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D: If graphics are corrupted in DirectX mode, use dgVoodoo DirectX emulation and set videocard to 'GeForce4 Ti 4800'. Game may C2D sometimes while loading but I believe it's game's fault.
- Test Drive 5: Use dgVoodoo DirectX to avoid crashes in DirectX mode. For Glide mode, nGlide is recommended. If you had faced problems in D3D mode and then you needed dgVoodoo to fix that, then you will face similar problem for Glide mode and you will need dgVoodoo 'DDraw' for it to be fixed. This is because the game uses DDraw for rendering menus before changing to Glide during the race. Similar to D3D, this time you will only need 'DDraw.dll', copying 'D3D9.dll' to the game directory will cause nGlide(if nGlide is set to use D3D9 backednd) to use the dgVoodoo D3D9 over the Windows one.
- Test Drive Off-Road 3: Graphics modes can be changed using 'VidCfg.exe' ftom the CD. If game doesn't run in D3D or Software mode, using dgVoodoo will fix it but you won't be able to hover cursor over full screen.
- Warhammer Dark Omen: Paste a d3drm.dll in game executable directory. If you get driver error, use dgVoodoo, but changing the resolution in the app may freeze game after video. If you get color problems, dgVoodoo will fix it. I still don't know if the game is interlaced and the game seems to flicker but stops flickering when I click Esc to pause it.
- Wing Commander Prophecy
- Unreal: Requires you to modify the resolution of fullscreen in unreal.ini file for a playble framerate in D3D5. Software mode may crash, similarly change the resolution for fullscreen. Glide mode works fine.
- Unreal Tournament 99 : Requires you to modify the resolution of fullscreen in unrealtournament.ini file for a playble framerate in D3D5. Software mode may crash, similarly change the resolution for fullscreen. Glide mode works fine. S3TC Textures can be turned on for modern hardware using the .ini file.
- V-Rally Multiplayer Championship Edition: Don't install the game inside a folder which has a space character in it's name, for example don't install the game inside 'Program Files'. Avoid any folder which has any space in it's name or else game will crash.
- Interstate 76: Read here
- Jane's USAF: Game runs without any problem with dgVoodoo and patch 1.02F with crack. But you may experience problems with the main menu freezing graphically with the video but the sound plays. In that case, go to windowed mode by clicking on Windows button and clicking on the game process in the Task Bar, there the game will switch to windowed mode and click on options while in windowed mode. You may find some loading issues. The Fly Now mode, works better in that case.
Luck decides playability:-
- South Park: Install the compatibility patch for South Park 3 and rename the game executable to SouthPark3.exe. Glide works best with nGlide. If you want to use D3D but it crashes with error message, dgVoodoo should work. Software mode also works and dgVoodoo can be used for it too. Please note that if after doing all these the game doesn't run, then try opening the executable again and again. Eventually it will run.
- The Need for Speed Special Edition(Windows 95): Go to Re: The Need for Speed Special Edition for Windows doesn't work
Multiplayer is not playable on Windows 10(maybe on 8 too)
Playable with a few unusuable features:-
- The Ultimate Doom: Requires a different ddraw.dll in game folder for proper colour. Mouse doesn't work but you can turn around using keyboard.
- Doom 95: Requires a different ddraw.dll in game folder for proper colour. Mouse doesn't work but you can turn around using keyboard.
Playable with mods/VMs:-
- Aliens versus Predator 2: Install patch v220.127.116.11 followed by Single Player Map Update #1 and Multiplayer Map Update #1(this one is optional). Download this if you find the mouse moving in a wavelike pattern in y-axis movement.
- Aliens versus Predator 2 Primal Hunt: Download Lithfix Beta 2 - AVP2 Primal Hunt AVP2AIO and paste the two .dll files and LithFix folder with its contents to the game directory. Add '-rez lithfix' to advanced command line in the launcher and start the game. If you have loading issues, set compatibility to Windows 98 to run the game, this may introduce problems in changing settings like resolution, so if you need to change such settings, turn off compatibility and then change the setting, then again revert back to Windows 98 compatibility setting. In some cases, it is possible that if you have gone past the loading problem just once after setting compatibility to Windows 98 in order to fix the loading problem, then in successive runs of the game you may not need to set the compatibility settings.
- Grand Theft Auto 2: Works fine on Windows 7 with v1.03 patch. For Windows 8 and 10, install a mod named GTA2 v11.44. CD Audio and CD Video won't work after installing this mod.
- Grim Fandango: Use ResidualVM.
- System Shock 2: Use SS2Tool(Theoretically you can run without this tool but you will need to find what this tool patches that makes this game runs.).
- Thief Gold Edition: If game freezes at a black screen and doesn't load further, use dgVoodoo or WineD3D and set compatibility to WinXP SP2. In dgVoodoo, set VRAM as 16MB and videocard as dgVoodoo Virtual 3D Accelerated Card. The game crashes on high VRAM(don't know at which amount but it crashed at 128MB). If intro is skipped, check 'cam.cfg' for the line 'skip_intro', if it's present, delete that line and I would also recommend you to make that file read-only. If it doesn't work, put the game executable to run as administrator and to register the app for restart in addition to making the 'cam.cfg' file read-only. For best gameplay, use this
- Thief II The Metal Age: If intro is skipped, check 'cam.cfg' for the line 'skip_intro', if it's present, delete that line and I would also recommend you to make that file read-only. If it doesn't work, put the game executable to run as administrator and to register the app for restart in addition to making the 'cam.cfg' file read-only. For best gameplay, use this
- Vietcong: Using VCStarter should fix the crashes.
Added by vlad54rus:
- Serious Sam: The First Encounter
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
Added by Davros(retail?)
- Airfix: Dogfighter
- Aliens vs Predator
- Bang! Gunship Elite
- Combat Flight Simulator 1
- Combat Flight Simulator 2
- Descent 3
- Freespace 1
- Freespace 2
- Wheel of Time
Added by leileilol
- Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Added by yochenhsieh
- Star Trek: Borg --- dgvoodoo2
- Star Trek: Generations --- Star Trek Generations: video won't play [resolved]
- Star Trek: Starfleet Academy --- http://www.jiri-dvorak.net/ka/index.html (this also works for SFA)
- Star Trek: Captain' s Chair --- need some quicktime files
- Star Trek: The Next Generation - Klingon Honor Guard --- need dgvoodoo2
- Star Trek: Starship Creator --- need some quicktime files
- Star Trek: The Next Generation - Birth of the Federation --- need dgvoodoo2
- Star Trek: Starfleet Command
- Star Trek: Hidden Evil --- need dgvoodoo2, AND some quicktime files, AND windows 98 compatible mode.
- Star Trek: Armada --- http://armadafiles.com/files/armada/mods/patc … project/details AND https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper/wiki … r-Trek-Armada-1
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Fallen
- Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force
- Star Trek: Klingon Academy --- http://www.jiri-dvorak.net/ka/index.html
- Star Trek: Conquest online (offline demo mode only)
- Star Trek: New Worlds --- need wine
- Star Trek: Starfleet Command Volume II - Empires at War
- Star Trek: Starship Creator Warp II --- need some quicktime files
- Star Trek: Away Team
- Star Trek: Armada II --- http://armadafiles.com/files/armada-2/mods/pa … exe-125/details
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Dominion Wars --- http://www.jiri-dvorak.net/dw/index.html
- Star Trek: Starfleet Command - Orion Pirates
- Star Trek: Bridge Commander
- Star Trek: Starfleet Command III --- need dgvoodoo2 for Win10.
- Star Trek: Elite Force II--- If low frame rate or stuttering is experienced, change executable name from 'EF2.exe' to 'Quake2.exe' or 'Quake3.exe'.
Added by chrismeyer6
- HotRod American Street Drag
- Jurassic Park Operation Genesis
These games launch but have some glitches, bugs, missing audio or textures, performance issues, etc.
- Full Tilt! Pinball: Game can be installed by copying 'WIN95\FULLTILT' directory from the CD. Game can be launched by executing the executables for the different tables, instead of the main executable, since it doesn't work properly. Full Screen scaling is buggy.
- Jane's IAF: Install Indeo Video during game installation. After installation, run cmd.exe as administrator and type:
'cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64' on 64 bit OS
Replace 'SysWOW64' with 'System32' on 32 bit OS.
After you execute this line, type
and execute. Then run dgVoodoo.
Game runs when you use dgVoodoo. On selecting any resolution other than the default resolution in dgVoodoo, the game becomes buggy. Game graphics are also glitchy.
- Microsoft Soccer: Use dgVoodoo for DDraw, copy dplayx.dll from System32(on 32 bit system) or SysWOW64(on 64 bit system) to game directory. Changing the resolution of the game in dgVoodoo may have some menu problems. Also I was unable to save my game during a match. (I got myself a copy from myabandonware.com so I don't know how the setup process goes.)
- Resident Evil: Couldn't get sound to work.
- The Grinch: The sound may stutter after the game is paused once.
- Vietnam Black Ops 2 Special Assignment: Texture issues, issues in the menus, lockup while changing resolution, etc.
These games don't launch or crash after starting the gameplay.
- Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow
I will keep updating this page.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti OC Edition
RAM: 8GB*2 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus B450M
PSU: Corsair VX550
Sound Card: Realtek ALC892