VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by claesbas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just setup a new retro machine based on a PIII 1.4 ghz / 512mb ram system. I added modern 1TB hdd to that system (I don't want old hdds in my retro machine because of fear of lost data) ... I added it via a IDE -> SATA card/adapter thingy. I have installed Win2000 just fine and its working great.

I know Win98 cannot read large disk like 1TB - however - If I create a, say 120gb FAT32 partition on that disk and try to install Win98 on that? Will that work?

Reply 1 of 3, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my experience, just a partition won't do it - you have to limit the drive's size to less than 137 gigabytes. Phil has a video on the subject: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/windows-98-m … e-capacity.html

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 3, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Look around for BHDD31.ZIP, shouldn't be too hard to find, it's a patch for win9x that adds LBA48 support, and theoretically it should allow it to work fine on HDDs up to 2TB. I'm using it on a laptop with 320gb HDD so I can confirm it works. There's also another patch that adds NTFS partition support to win9x as well, if you don't like FAT32

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project