VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 220 of 272, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you saying the mercs thing is solved but mw2 isnt?

That pic still shows it in wow6432 btw

See pm too

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 221 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
myne wrote on 2024-02-24, 03:20:

Interesting that it's in WOW6432
What that means is "Windows on Windows 64bit 32bit
So it's a kinda virtualisation subkey. On ye old windows 9x it's NOT in that area at all.

Okay I guess its correct, right? Afterall Mercenaries is running 32bit on Win64, like all other 32bit apps.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 222 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2024-02-28, 10:39:
myne wrote on 2024-02-24, 03:20:

Interesting that it's in WOW6432
What that means is "Windows on Windows 64bit 32bit
So it's a kinda virtualisation subkey. On ye old windows 9x it's NOT in that area at all.

Okay I guess its correct, right? Afterall Mercenaries is running 32bit on Win64, like all other 32bit apps.

Update: Just noticed your last installer (at least) has wrong profiles. For example, in Mercenaries W95, it will crash on mission exit. If run at 320x200, it will freeze on mission exit. I will change them if I can.

Update-2: I fixed the mission exit crash with profile changes, but random freezes still exist. They are only fixed if the game is launched directly from DxWnd. I wish if that could be done.

Reply 223 of 272, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there something about how DXwnd loads that can be changed?
It seems like a dxwnd bug if it works from the dxwnd shortcut but not from a shortcut that asks dxwnd to load the shortcut.

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.

Reply 224 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
myne wrote on 2024-02-29, 00:33:

Is there something about how DXwnd loads that can be changed?
It seems like a dxwnd bug if it works from the dxwnd shortcut but not from a shortcut that asks dxwnd to load the shortcut.

It's not a bug. When you double click the shortcut, or the game exe, with DxWnd in folder, it's the game that gets executed first and DxWnd comes into play when the game handle is created. The crashing problem needs to be hooked before the game is even launched, so running through DxWnd fixes it, which it can't do by hooking later.

(and ofc it isn't Microsoft that it can have some kind of mechanism like AppPatch to add the same mechanism)

Reply 225 of 272, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That would be true if the shortcut didn't look like this:

"C:\Games\MechWarrior 2 - Mercenaries Titanium Edition\dxwnd.exe" /Q /R:1

It runs DXwnd first

Things I built:

Reply 226 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
myne wrote on 2024-02-29, 08:36:

That would be true if the shortcut didn't look like this:

"C:\Games\MechWarrior 2 - Mercenaries Titanium Edition\dxwnd.exe" /Q /R:1

It runs DXwnd first

It is proxying the hook. This particular hook still happens later, whether that's a limitation, let me ask

Reply 227 of 272, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's not the sort of behaviour a user would expect.

The way everything from bioses to OS' to macros work is the platform finished loading to completion before it loads the child object.

Things I built:

Reply 228 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
myne wrote on 2024-02-29, 21:44:

It's not the sort of behaviour a user would expect.

The way everything from bioses to OS' to macros work is the platform finished loading to completion before it loads the child object.

The proxy is still a semi-furnished product so there's always a point of improvement. I am waiting for their reply.

Reply 229 of 272, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No worries.
I'm no stranger to bugs 🤣

Things I built:

Reply 230 of 272, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, gramps seems to have vanished.

Been, did you ever get to test it?

Things I built:

Reply 231 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
myne wrote on 2024-03-07, 23:39:

Well, gramps seems to have vanished.

Been, did you ever get to test it?

What's gramps 😀

Reply 232 of 272, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows. <-that guy

Things I built:

Reply 233 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
myne wrote on 2024-03-08, 04:52:

Do you mean your new installer? Yes I did it, but there were issues: the profile selected was incorrect and the dplay.dll wasn't copied. I changed as necessary.
I will update it after I get some output on the heap issue caused from the proxy.

if you are asking about the registry, yes it worked: it should be in WOW6432Node as Gramps showed.

Reply 234 of 272, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The profiles are the same ones you gave me a while back.
Dplay isn't configured to copy on a few of the editions.
Which one was it?

Things I built:

Reply 235 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
myne wrote on 2024-03-08, 07:59:

The profiles are the same ones you gave me a while back.
Dplay isn't configured to copy on a few of the editions.
Which one was it?

Somehow your Mercenaries Win95 profile got replaced with the Titanium one. Although one of the last releases I had here published had it correctly. Same for dplay, it wasn't needed in Titanium but it was required in Win95.

Well I did the work, so there's nothing to change for now

Reply 236 of 272, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Eh? What did you do? Surely the zip needs updating?

Things I built:

Reply 237 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
myne wrote on 2024-03-08, 21:36:

Eh? What did you do? Surely the zip needs updating?

Please wait, I could rather bundle a better proxy based installation with it

Reply 238 of 272, by ChronoReaperX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi fellas,

I've installed and played Merc 2 GBL Titanium Edition using the Myne's All in One installer with no problem.... until I've reach Mission 2 (actually the 1st mission of the campaign because the 1st one is considered a test to join the clan). After destroying those jumping Raven Mechs, and after destroying approaching 3 Mechs toward the base, the game is kinda broken and glitching when the HUD is suddenly fade/ freeze (non functional including the radar, targeting system etc)... and the game eventually just crash.

I can't finish the mission unless I use cheat to skip it (yes the old cheat is still working before the glitch happen). Have y'all experience the glitch?

Reply 239 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ChronoReaperX wrote on 2024-03-09, 03:33:

Hi fellas,

I've installed and played Merc 2 GBL Titanium Edition using the Myne's All in One installer with no problem.... until I've reach Mission 2 (actually the 1st mission of the campaign because the 1st one is considered a test to join the clan). After destroying those jumping Raven Mechs, and after destroying approaching 3 Mechs toward the base, the game is kinda broken and glitching when the HUD is suddenly fade/ freeze (non functional including the radar, targeting system etc)... and the game eventually just crash.

I can't finish the mission unless I use cheat to skip it (yes the old cheat is still working before the glitch happen). Have y'all experience the glitch?

Can you run it directly from DxWnd? Use the shortcut to redirect to the dxwnd.exe original file, and then open it. Double click the game entry inside.

If I am not wrong, myne tested Titanium Editions from start to end without any issue