VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

By mistake I proceeded to automate a Windows 11 installation instead of Windows 10, on my old Intel 3rd gen Pentium CPU. For some reason, it installed and is working quite well. So did MS remove the restriction?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 17, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2023-06-09, 06:09:

By mistake I proceeded to automate a Windows 11 installation instead of Windows 10, on my old Intel 3rd gen Pentium CPU. For some reason, it installed and is working quite well. So did MS remove the restriction?

Might depend on the version of Windows 11 you are installing.

I did find this over on Microsoft

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/i … 09-ef0a331518f1

Seems to suggest that Windows 11 will install regardless of requirements now but will kindly let you know after install that its not supported by MS, also suggests you are not guaranteed to get updates, pretty sure you'll get updates no issue would be silly of MS to deny security updates.

Last edited by Trashbytes on 2023-06-09, 06:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 17, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you install via ISO I don't believe there is the same restriction as there is to doing an upgrade from within Windows 10.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 3 of 17, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mwdmeyer wrote on 2023-06-09, 06:19:

If you install via ISO I don't believe there is the same restriction as there is to doing an upgrade from within Windows 10.

On my AMD Ryzen 5 1600 machine, the installer refused to proceed without enabling fTPM. On that Intel, it didn't even have any TPM...

Reply 5 of 17, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never tried installing Windows 11 since none of the hardware in my collection (over 70 pcs) is supported, and I wasn't going to throw cash around just to appease Microsoft. The main problem is none of them have TPM 2.0, and the majority are 32-bit only.

Using Windows 11 is therefore assumed to never going to happen.

I looked up "Intel 3rd gen cpu" and it showed a list of Xeon processors from just 2 years ago. Is this what you're using?

Reply 6 of 17, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Intel 3rd gen Pentium CPU

You mean Ivy Bridge, from 2012..2015, right?

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść no moja górę, lecz i w tym, ze ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 7 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What do you mean by "automate"? Are you being intentionally vague?

AFAIK, there are various methods. The most well known is using the windows 10 setup with the windows 11 install.wim but all I ever use is a batch file on the root of the cd that adds the registry keys needed to bypass the requirements. Using that I've ran 11 on my c2Q since release with no issues. I don't use preview builds since I dont believe on being a guinea pig anymore than I already am with the regular so called final builds of Windows.....

If by automate you mean you created an image and then restored it then I don't see why that wouldn't work, the requirement has so far just been for the installer not for running Windows 11.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 17, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2023-06-09, 10:10:

AFAIK, there are various methods. The most well known is using the windows 10 setup with the windows 11 install.wim but all I ever use is a batch file on the root of the cd that adds the registry keys needed to bypass the requirements. Using that I've ran 11 on my c2Q since release with no issues. I don't use preview builds since I dont believe on being a guinea pig anymore than I already am with the regular so called final builds of Windows.....

If by automate you mean you created an image and then restored it then I don't see why that wouldn't work, the requirement has so far just been for the installer not for running Windows 11.

Perhaps they are using a script to automate the install process, much like IT would do for unattended installs.

Reply 9 of 17, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Robbbert wrote on 2023-06-09, 09:01:

I looked up "Intel 3rd gen cpu" and it showed a list of Xeon processors from just 2 years ago. Is this what you're using?

Grzyb wrote on 2023-06-09, 09:35:

Intel 3rd gen Pentium CPU

You mean Ivy Bridge, from 2012..2015, right?

This one
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/p … e-2-90-ghz.html

DosFreak wrote on 2023-06-09, 10:10:

The automation script does the post-setup job itself. I was not wearing my spectacles when I was preparing to click on the Install button on the installer, so I proceeded unconsciously. I returned after 15 mins to see the Windows 11 on my screen.

Reply 10 of 17, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

well, I've installed and used successfully windows 11 in various old "unsupported and therefore imposible" machines
-atom n455 with 2gb of ram (awful and drivers were problematic)
-atom n2600 with 2gb of ram (slightly less awful but drivers were worse)
-athlon 64x2 tk57 with 4gb of ram (everything works but is slow)
-pentium t4500 with 4gb of ram (sound doesn't work as it uses an idt soundchip)
-celeron n2840 with 4gb of ram (everything works but is slow because of "efficiency cores")
-phenom x3 8400 with 4gb of ram (everything works but is slow)
all of these machines are way older than the slowest supported machine according to Microsoft and still they run it in some form, the only thing I had to do was to write the original iso from Microsoft website with rufus
rufus will ask you if you want to bypass the requirements check and makes the modifications needed, then i put an ei.cfg file on to the sources folder to allow me to choose the sku
never had a problem

ps: all but the celeron n2840 are bios machines and therefore doesn't support uefi boot nor gpt partition scheme on boot devices, and still windows boot without any additional software

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 11 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good to know there are gonna be options when 10 is no longer getting security updates, on modest systems. Is there a way to obtain specific releases at the moment, or should I download and save this known to work era release for future?

3rd gen pentium though, heh good thing you linked it because I was thinking, P5>P54>P55? nah... Pentium III? nah... Merom, allendale, clarkdale? Maybe?....I know everything up from Nehalem gets called gen 1 2 3 etc, but I usually qualify it with generations of core-i, because there was 2 gens of core before that. THEN there's the generations of x86 cpu architecture that has PPro etc as 6th gen, blah blah, but seemed only AMD was counting after that, K7 K8 etc

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 12 of 17, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had win 11 on my Sandy Bridge system and it worked fine, but I kind of had to force install it,

on my Haswell system (4th gen) I'm not getting the option to update or install 11 without forcing it either,

Reply 13 of 17, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ran Windows 11 on an i5 Sandy Bridge Thinkpad X230 for a couple weeks. It didn't make good use of the small 1366x768 display though, so I went back to Windows 10 which flies on this CPU. I plan to run Windows 10 LTSC and maybe the IoT version for a while after mainline 10 EOLs. I'm slowly warming up to 11... but I still don't like the taskbar and start menu changes.

Reply 15 of 17, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cosmic wrote on 2023-06-09, 23:53:

I'm slowly warming up to 11... but I still don't like the taskbar and start menu changes.

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 16 of 17, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schmatzler wrote on 2023-06-10, 00:19:
Cosmic wrote on 2023-06-09, 23:53:

I'm slowly warming up to 11... but I still don't like the taskbar and start menu changes.

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

Cheers schmatzler. I've seen the Classic Shell and similar replacements, but the linked ExplorerPatcher looks much more like what I would want to use. I've made it through many Windows upgrades and always spent some time using solutions like this to get comfortable, this is the first that I really like for Windows 11. Thanks for the link.

Reply 17 of 17, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll put another vote in for Explorer Patcher.

The only issue I have had with it is, sometimes after a windows update, the symbols for Explorer Patcher need to be reacquired and the application restarted. Occasionally this means I need to hit task manager and restart it manually after rebooting from update because the desktop will be all black.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME