VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was wondering, could a good programmer with the help of AI create this update?
I queried Google's Bard and it gave me these answers:

I wanted to know if it is possible to create an update for USB 2.0 support for Windows 95.

In theory, it is possible to create an update for USB 2.0 support for Windows 95. However, there are some challenges to address.

First, Windows 95 is an outdated operating system that is no longer supported by Microsoft. This means that there are no longer any official updates available for Windows 95.

Second, USB 2.0 support is a newer technology than Windows 95. This means that significant changes would need to be made to the Windows 95 kernel to support it.

Third, USB 2.0 drivers are often larger and more complex than USB 1.1 drivers. This means that it may not be possible to create a reasonably sized update that includes all the necessary USB 2.0 drivers.

Despite these challenges, it is possible that an update to USB 2.0 support for Windows 95 could be created. A team of experienced developers may be able to make the necessary changes to the Windows 95 kernel and create compatible USB 2.0 drivers.

However, it is important to note that such an upgrade would likely be a complex and laborious project. There is no guarantee that it will be possible to create an update that will work reliably and without problems.

If you're looking for a way to use USB 2.0 devices with Windows 95, your best bet is probably to buy a newer PC that natively supports USB 2.0.

Then:

Could you as an AI create this update in the future?

In theory, it's possible that I could create an update for USB 2.0 support for Windows 95. I have access to a huge amount of data about Windows, including source code, installation files, and logs. I can use this data to create updates that fix bugs, add new features, or improve performance.

However, there are some challenges to face. First, Windows 95 is a complex operating system, and it can be difficult to identify problems that need an update. Second, Windows updates must be compatible with a wide range of hardware and software.

Despite these challenges, I believe it is possible to create updates for older Windows. As my model continues to improve, it will become easier to identify problems and create compatible updates.

In particular, I could use my AI skills to:

Identify problems in the Windows 95 kernel that prevent USB 2.0 support.
Create USB 2.0 drivers compatible with Windows 95.
Test the update to ensure that it works reliably and without problems.
Of course, there is no guarantee that I will be able to create an update that works perfectly. However, I believe it is a real possibility.

If you're interested in working with me to create an update for USB 2.0 support for Windows 95, I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

Then:

Yes, I would be interested in discussing with you. But unfortunately I'm not a programmer, and I have no skills.

You don't need to be a programmer to collaborate on this project. I can provide the necessary technical expertise, while you can provide useful information and feedback.

For example, could you help me identify problems in the Windows 95 kernel that prevent USB 2.0 support. You could also help me test the update to ensure it works reliably and without problems.

If you are interested in collaborating, we can start discussing this in more detail. We can discuss your goals for the project, your knowledge and skills, and how we can work together to achieve these goals.

I'm excited to collaborate with you on this project. I believe that together we can create an update that is useful and valuable to Windows 95 users.

Then:

How do I identify problems in the Windows 95 kernel?

To identify problems in the Windows 95 kernel, you need to have a basic understanding of the kernel and how it works. The kernel is the main component of an operating system that provides access to the system's hardware and resources. It is responsible for managing the memory, processor, and input/output devices.

Once you have a basic understanding of the kernel, you can start looking for signs of problems. Some common signs of kernel problems include:

System crash: If your system crashes unexpectedly, it could be a sign of a problem in the kernel.
Errors: If errors occur when starting or running programs, it could be a sign of a problem in the kernel.
Performance issues: If your system runs slowly or erratically, it could be a sign of a problem in the kernel.
If you experience any of these signs, you can start investigating the problem. There are several tools that can help you diagnose problems in the kernel, including:

Debugging: Debugging is a process of identifying and fixing bugs in software. There are several debugging tools available for Windows 95.
Performance Monitoring: Performance monitors can help you track system resource usage. They can be useful for identifying performance issues or resource usage issues.
Kernel Analysis Tools: There are several kernel analysis tools available that can help you examine your kernel code in more detail.
Once you've identified a problem in your kernel, you can start looking for a solution. In some cases, the fix could be as simple as a driver update. In other cases, you may need to make changes to the kernel code itself.

If you are not sure how to identify or fix a problem in the kernel, you can ask an experienced programmer for help.

Here are some specific tips for identifying problems in the Windows 95 kernel that prevent USB 2.0 support:

Check the registry: The registry contains information about all aspects of Windows, including the kernel. You can look in the system registry for signs of USB 2.0 problems.
Perform a kernel dump: A kernel dump is a file that contains a copy of all kernel data at the time of the system crash. You can analyze the kernel dump for signs of USB 2.0 problems.
Use a kernel analysis tool: A kernel analysis tool can help you examine your kernel code in more detail. You can use a kernel analysis tool to look for lines of code that may be problematic for USB 2.0 support.
If you are able to successfully identify issues in the Windows 95 kernel that prevent USB 2.0 support, you can work with me to create an update that addresses these issues.

What do you think?

Reply 1 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think hopefully we don't see more of these threads..... lots of fluff of no import.

You are better off asking on os specific forums like winraid, msfn, betaarchive since the work that has been done on those operating systems has been discussed and worked on there. Also if you want something done then cash is a good incentive.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 11, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks so much for the reply. But it was just a curiosity. I just wanted to understand what others think about artificial intelligence and whether it can help create updates for older operating systems in the future.

Reply 3 of 11, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have seen some of the code GPT4 produces and while at first glance it looks like it should work it fails totally once you actually sit there and read it in depth. GPT can only work with the data it has been given and it wont have the in depth knowledge and understanding to be able to make something like this happen, I doubt it would even be of any use for producing drivers and updates for something as technical as older hardware and operating system drivers.

As for adding USB2 to Windows95 ..thats a big one IIRC it has been tried before but unless you have a deep understanding of Windows 95 inner workings YMMV as to how well you can get it working if at all, so yes its remotely possible but its not practical, 95 OSR2 barely supported USB 1.1 and even that didn't always work the way it was intended and had to be manually configured.

You could always use Win98 Lite which would look and behave like an updated Win95 with USB2.0 support.

Reply 4 of 11, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NarakuITA wrote on 2023-11-23, 21:56:

What do you think?

That AI is shit.

NarakuITA wrote on 2023-11-23, 21:56:

whether it can help create updates for older operating systems in the future

It can't even do that for modern ones.

Reply 5 of 11, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As a layman, why can't a USB2 driver be built to interface with the existing USB1 support on the kernel end?
Ie, can't USB2 simply be treated like a fast USB1 port?

What don't I understand here?

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 6 of 11, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
myne wrote on 2023-11-28, 04:29:

As a layman, why can't a USB2 driver be built to interface with the existing USB1 support on the kernel end?

This might surprise you but USB2.0 is a very different beast under the hood than basic USB 1.1, Im sure it would be possible for someone to write the drivers if they had the Windows 95 source code. It would require a fair amount of work however, Win95 barely supported 1.1 and even then you had to manually configure it.

It wasnt just plug and play and it also had a habit of not always working the way you wanted it to as USB standards were still being adopted by hardware fabs and some rather unorthodox hacks were used.

Besides if you want Win95 with USB 2.0 you only have to run Win98 Lite, itll look and behave like 95 but have the hardware support you want without all the silly dev work.

Reply 8 of 11, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im sure it would be possible for someone to write the drivers if they had the Windows 95 source code.

Crux point .... if one has this 'discussion' with the brain-dead 'AI' far enough, even the AI is going to ask for win95 kernel source code =)

Reply 9 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
myne wrote on 2023-11-28, 04:29:

For USB 1.x alone, there used to be two different interface standards, OHCI and UHCI.

Btw, USB 2.0 is obsolete by now. We're at USB 4 by now, I believe.

And that's not backwards compatible on the controller side, as far as OS support is being concerned. AFAIK.

I mean to say, that they don't appear as USB 2.0 controllers in a similar fashion that USB 2.0 controllers used to appear as USB 1.1 controllers (to older OSes).

A legacy block (EHCI controller) is not available anymore (in hardware). Instead, an USB hub does the talking to both new and old peripherals (USB 1.x, 2.0).

Edit: Intel does or did this with its chipsets.
The NEC chips had the legacy block, I think. They could be seen by older OSes.

That's why Windows 7 was difficult to install through an USB pen drive connected to USB 3.x ports (XHCI controller) many years ago, I vaguely remember.

The Windows Setup couldn't see these ports by default and the hardware lacked old USB 2.0 ports (EHCI controller).

Writing an USB 3.x native driver for Windows 98/Me would be overdue, too, thus.

Edited. 2x.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 11, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2023-12-10, 09:31:

I wouldn't say "obsolete". A mouse or a keyboard doesn't need anything faster (or high power charging capabilities). And it's still much faster than USB 1.1, so for data transfer it's always better to have USB 2.0 than 1.1

Reply 11 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Azarien wrote on 2023-12-10, 10:08:
Jo22 wrote on 2023-12-10, 09:31:

I wouldn't say "obsolete". A mouse or a keyboard doesn't need anything faster (or high power charging capabilities). And it's still much faster than USB 1.1, so for data transfer it's always better to have USB 2.0 than 1.1

My bad, I didn't mention I was thinking of the controller/PC side here. USB Classic needs less wires, too.

What's also interesting: Technically, the USB 2.0 lines (data+/-, 5v, gnd) of an USB 3.x controller's connector are independent functioning of the native USB 3.x data lines.

(The XHCI driver on PC side does coordinate the enumeration process, I think. So it might work using either types of physical connection, USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.)

So it might be possible to use two USB devices on a single port, one using the new USB 3.0 data lines, the other using the four old data lines.

Or that's what I heard, at least, it just came to mind. I think that information was from a time when USB 3.0 controllers were new (early 2010s)
and still had that USB 2.0 circuit (legacy block) in silicon.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//